S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

jmomentum wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:34 pm
Let's say you have a completely different warranty issue somewhere down the line. Let's say you ignored this recall or installed the expander ring yourself. Would this have an affect on the warranty. This is my only concern with doing it myself. I assume Specialized will be tracking which bikes had the replacement done by an official specialized retailer.
They told me working on the bike myself doesn't void the warranty. I asked because I wanted to chop the steerer tube day 1. Plus I have a receipt from the shop saying explicitly that they replaced the compression ring (part of why I was mad) so I at least should be covered! :roll:

Maybe someone else knows more but I would be surprised if it was an issue to install the updated parts yourself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geraint

by Geraint

I asked if they'd send me the parts to fit myself and was told no, I had to book it in. I assume this is because they want to inspect the steerer, despite the fact that it had the new compression ring from new. It's half a day out taking the bike to the shop instead of a ten minute job to fit a new plug that's arrived in the post. It has the updated ring already, I don't see the need for the plug, and I almost can't be arsed. I find this more annoying than the recall itself.

They sell framesets only, which need the steerer to be cut, and the headset and expander bung to be fitted in the first place. I can understand them wanting to inspect it if it had been sold as a complete bike, but for framesets only they have to be built by someone and there's surely no increased risk in letting that same person replace the parts.

spartacus

by spartacus

Geraint wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:16 am
I asked if they'd send me the parts to fit myself and was told no, I had to book it in. I assume this is because they want to inspect the steerer, despite the fact that it had the new compression ring from new. It's half a day out taking the bike to the shop instead of a ten minute job to fit a new plug that's arrived in the post. It has the updated ring already, I don't see the need for the plug, and I almost can't be arsed. I find this more annoying than the recall itself.

They sell framesets only, which need the steerer to be cut, and the headset and expander bung to be fitted in the first place. I can understand them wanting to inspect it if it had been sold as a complete bike, but for framesets only they have to be built by someone and there's surely no increased risk in letting that same person replace the parts.
I hear you, it seems ridiculous to have to take the bike to the shop to replace the expander but I guess to some people that's a plus, that the shop will do it for free.
The fact that framesets are covered by a warranty makes me think working on it yourself isn't an issue, I guess specialized wants them to inspect the fork, but from what I've seen that may not even happen.

R1Phrankey

by R1Phrankey

I picked up the replacement parts yesterday. Was no problem to install them myself. (I bought the frameset this year, no complete bike.)
Probably also depending on which country you are from?

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Rode my SL7 to the LBS and they swapped in the new expander plug and inspected my steerer. No marks or damage on the steerer and I already had the update compression ring so the entire process took maybe 15 min at most. Didn't get a chance to weigh the updated expander plug, but it is aluminum and doesn't seem to weigh that much.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

poppiholla wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:08 am
I have a few questions. maybe it was discussed already in this topic but I can't find it.

1: I have an expander plug question: I thought that the stem mark (triangle arrow) needs to point at the stem direction. So it is pointing to the fronton my bike. Is it a problem when the extender plug is installed with the arrow to the front? Extender plug is fitted fine at 9nm (printed on the extender plug of my SL6).

2: Leads me to my second question. Maybe a silly question but I can't figure out why Specialized "fixed" the expander plug with an extended version for SL7 bikes that have the correct headset splitring from day one. If this new designed headset splitring is ok why the extended expander in this recall? What does this longer extender add to the problem for bikes that have the correct headset splitring from the first ride?

Thanks
The replacement compression ring can STILL cause a failure and that is why they give you a longer plug lol. BUT that still wont prevent total loss of bar control should your steerer crack all the way thru. Durianrider called this back in April and made recall videos back then. Im not sure how he knew so early and was also the first the leak the recall notice on social media. He did this with Trek and Shimano recently as well. He must have some strong insiders giving him tip offs.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Durianrider, yes the compression ring can still cause a failure if you leave out the slotted shim like the photos from the broken steerer that was posted.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:26 pm
Durianrider, yes the compression ring can still cause a failure if you leave out the slotted shim like the photos from the broken steerer that was posted.
Durianrider said that shim had fallen out after the crash. Makes sense as the shim just slides lightly on I imagine. Being a professional bike mechanic myself you couldnt ride that compression ring without the shim. It would rock SO noticeably. Even a noob would feel something is wrong.

Amazing how SL7 owners get all this inside info from Durianrider BEFORE Specialized give it to them. Actually Specialized didnt share that image. It was Durianrider who did. He called the recall back in April. Crazy prediction!
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I don't think it had fallen out. They must have forgotten to put it hahaha

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Anyways, why would I believe a guy who's even banned here like durianrider.

spartacus

by spartacus

Why do people think it can fail even with the shim? I'm also assuming the shim is compressed and can't move.

spartacus

by spartacus

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:36 pm
I don't think it had fallen out. They must have forgotten to put it hahaha
Wouldn't even surprise me based on my recent shop experience.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

If you live near Morgan Hill Specialized will fix your bike while you wait as they give you a tour of the place and throw in a bunch of swag, bottles shirt ect... Crappy recall but a cool way to get it fixed.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The shim is tight AF and not easy to install.
There's no way it's falling out.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

HaroldC

by HaroldC

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm
The shim is tight AF and not easy to install.
There's no way it's falling out.
+1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com