S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I rode mine today on Mk1 compression ring and Extralite expander because I'm a rebel. Also because it's been perfect for 15 months.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

ryanw wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:20 pm
I rode mine today on Mk1 compression ring and Extralite expander because I'm a rebel. Also because it's been perfect for 15 months.
Living on the edge!!!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

dsk28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:12 am
I purchased it via a local guy who got the frames shipped in from a neighbouring country.
The reason I did not purchase the SL7 locally...
So it's a grey market frame. I wouldn't expect help from the dealer, but hopefully you can order the parts just like any other PN from their spare parts catalog. I was able to order headset bearings, hyd/Di2 grommets, compression ring, DM RD hanger, battery grommet, headset cover, and seat rail clamp for my Venge. Nearly every small part for one reason or another. Got some locally, some from other shops.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Reached out to my local S concept store on Monday to inquire about the recall. Received a call yesterday that they had the replacement parts in stock, and to bring the bike over to swap it out. 20 minutes later the swap was complete. Surprisingly painless process.
The shop was literally going down the list of SL7 customers and calling them to advise of parts in stock and to bring their bikes by. It looked like a pretty organized process.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

FactoryMatt wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm
LBoogie28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:46 pm
FactoryMatt wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:03 pm
Hes right though in that there is now an aluminum sleeve that distributes pressure more evenly than the porous wedge ring can alone. You know someone in a pro team demanded that or lathed out their rings and made them themselves. Its a nobrainer to have. That compression wedge is a silly silly design the way it focussed pressure at two points on the steerer. Additionally corner chamfering/radiusing was minimal.
Durianrider's claim is that WT gets non-standard FRAMES and FORKS. Not that they had a mechanic mill a shim for them before the recall. He is saying different layups are being used, and aluminum sleeve are epoxied to the steerer. It's a much different set of statements than what you are trying to justify/defend/explain through.
correct, but he's also made the claim they use a shim/sleeve. Teams get special parts. It happens. e.g. the Roubaix headshok deal. as far as layups go, it's definitely happened in the past; tech has probably gotten better to where it doesn't happen anymore, though i wouldnt be surprised if that was NOT the case for rims/spokes/cockpit items. Hell, you've got Canyon teams drilling holes in their frames to run wires. small example, but mechanics arent just parts changers. and they wouldn't have milled a sleeve, in so much as they would have bored out the compression wedge and maybe relieved the corners a bit more FOR that sleeve.

ETA if there was one team id put money on getting special frames, its Factor/ISN. I mean, come on.
I haven't seen him claim WT mechanics have used a shim similar to the new 2 part compression ring specialized is sending out. He has actually stated it isn't a real fix, and steerers will still fail. Furthermore, these 2 part rings have been shipped with bikes for at least 6 month.

Regardless, to claim durianrider is correct about these issues, you will need to provide actual evidence for the SL7, not a history lesson on prior mods made to different bikes (for different reasons).

spartacus

by spartacus

I can't really see a reason why the new design wouldn't fix the problem, now that it's functionally similar to most other designs.

dsk28

by dsk28

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm
dsk28 wrote:
I purchased it via a local guy who got the frames shipped in from a neighbouring country.
So it's a grey market frame. I wouldn't expect help from the dealer, but hopefully you can order the parts just like any other PN from their spare parts catalog. I was able to order headset bearings, hyd/Di2 grommets, compression ring, DM RD hanger, battery grommet, headset cover, and seat rail clamp for my Venge. Nearly every small part for one reason or another. Got some locally, some from other shops.

Yeah, trying to source the parts is a pain.

Honestly I'm done with Specialized after this, I don't feel secure riding their bikes. With the recall notice, they said they would fix it for all SL7 regardless of where we purchased it from but in reality some local dealers (like ours) won't give it to bikes not purchased through them.

I've a Dogma F on order from the local Pinarello distributor and would probably sell my SL7 once it's fixed.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

dsk28 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:50 pm
dsk28 wrote:

Yeah, trying to source the parts is a pain.

Honestly I'm done with Specialized after this, I don't feel secure riding their bikes. With the recall notice, they said they would fix it for all SL7 regardless of where we purchased it from but in reality some local dealers (like ours) won't give it to bikes not purchased through them.

I've a Dogma F on order from the local Pinarello distributor and would probably sell my SL7 once it's fixed.
Like most things right now, I suspect the demand outpaces supply, so I think the shops are just taking care of their known customers first. Once those get completed, and they have "extra" supply, I'll bet they become more receptive to just helping any S bike owner regardless of where you bought it from.
Naturally, the shop wants to take care of "their" customers first.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

dsk28 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 am
With the recall notice, they said they would fix it for all SL7 regardless of where we purchased it from but in reality some local dealers (like ours) won't give it to bikes not purchased through them.
Yeah the frustration is understandable, but to be fair, it wasn't a bike sold for your market. I assume any grey market purchase to forego the factory warranty

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

+1
It is pre requisite even for warranty.
Lbs needs original invoice and serial number photo under the bb shell.
I suggest you ask for an invoice where you bought your frameset.

dsk28

by dsk28

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 am
+1
It is pre requisite even for warranty.
Lbs needs original invoice and serial number photo under the bb shell.
I suggest you ask for an invoice where you bought your frameset.

I have both, bike's also registered online at Specialized website.

I pay full price for servicing, tip the mmechanics, and
never ask for freebies or extras.

All I want is the damn parts for a Global Recall in which Specialized stated that we could take our bikes to the nearest Authorized Retailer and have it switched out.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I understand your sentiments, but it's not only specialized. I had a defective shimano dura-ace r9150 di2 rear derailleur. My country wouldn't not accept it. I had to get it warrantied where the country I bought it. I was replaced with a new one. There is a reason to buy from a local distributor.

dsk28

by dsk28

ome rodriguez wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:50 am
I understand your sentiments, but it's not only specialized. I had a defective shimano dura-ace r9150 di2 rear derailleur. My country wouldn't not accept it. I had to get it warrantied where the country I bought it. I was replaced with a new one. There is a reason to buy from a local distributor.

Does Shimano not have a global warranty?
My local Sram distributor helps me with any Sram problems I encounter, even with the ones I did not purchase from them.

FYI my local Specialized dealer took my name nearly a year ago and til today still have not given me my SL7 (I got one from another seller 5 months ago)

Recently inquired about SL7 with Sram Rival and they increased the price everytime I inquired about the bike, for a total 3x price increase already :noidea:
Last edited by dsk28 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I have a few questions. maybe it was discussed already in this topic but I can't find it.

1: I have an expander plug question: I thought that the stem mark (triangle arrow) needs to point at the stem direction. So it is pointing to the fronton my bike. Is it a problem when the extender plug is installed with the arrow to the front? Extender plug is fitted fine at 9nm (printed on the extender plug of my SL6).

2: Leads me to my second question. Maybe a silly question but I can't figure out why Specialized "fixed" the expander plug with an extended version for SL7 bikes that have the correct headset splitring from day one. If this new designed headset splitring is ok why the extended expander in this recall? What does this longer extender add to the problem for bikes that have the correct headset splitring from the first ride?

Thanks
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The arrow on the expander should be aligned with the stem bolts, so facing towards the saddle.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com