S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:17 pm
Where does cable rub come into this?! As far as I can see, cable rub, or any other abrasion, is the irrelevance.
I saw some people when the recall was first hinted at assuming it was about cable rub - I thought you were also making that assumption when you talked about marks. I was clearly wrong about that, sorry for creating confusion.
Specialized are saying it's exceptional impact - it must be truly exceptional, because there's plenty of evidence of heavily used SL7s exhibiting no problems at all - no marking/damage to the steerers at all from any cause. Making the assumption that the steerer laminate (composite structure) was properly specified and made, then it really does take a huge impact to crack it, even with a load concentration onto the steerer - I can perhaps imagine a 120Kg rider using a long stem hitting a decent size, raised bump in the pavement at high speed with straight arms may be able to do it, but the bars will almost certainly fail first.
Right, that's my point. You can get loads of unmarked steerers that haven't been hit hard enough in the right way. So what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Please share whatever you are smoking... Jaysus.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am
tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:17 pm
Where does cable rub come into this?! As far as I can see, cable rub, or any other abrasion, is the irrelevance.
I saw some people when the recall was first hinted at assuming it was about cable rub - I thought you were also making that assumption when you talked about marks. I was clearly wrong about that, sorry for creating confusion.
Specialized are saying it's exceptional impact - it must be truly exceptional, because there's plenty of evidence of heavily used SL7s exhibiting no problems at all - no marking/damage to the steerers at all from any cause. Making the assumption that the steerer laminate (composite structure) was properly specified and made, then it really does take a huge impact to crack it, even with a load concentration onto the steerer - I can perhaps imagine a 120Kg rider using a long stem hitting a decent size, raised bump in the pavement at high speed with straight arms may be able to do it, but the bars will almost certainly fail first.
Right, that's my point. You can get loads of unmarked steerers that haven't been hit hard enough in the right way. So what?
Okay, we're on the same field as to the possible cause then.

I can accept the idea that just because something looks fine and hasn't failed so far, doesn't mean it is "good". The expression "absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence" springs to mind. However, the SL7 has been out for ages with an enormous number of Kms in total for all the bikes out there.......yet there seems to be a distinct lack of damage to steerers; what gives?

How often does a brand specify a maximum stem length and maximum bar reach (distance the hands are from the steerer is really what I'm getting at) for a frameset? Or that only a particular stem can be used with their steerer? Those variables directly affect the forces on the steerer. Most framesets now have a rider weight limit, but that is only one of many important variables - what do you design for? Anything can be broken - it just takes a big enough force.

An example of this is the picture floating around on the net of a Look HSC5 SL fork, separated at the crown (it was a moulded-in-one construction) from a 20 mph impact into a log - I still use a 14 year old HSC5 that has covered many tens of thousands of Kms, and I lose no sleep over it.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

It may be that they've had a failure of a part during internal testing. Most ISO standards require regular retests during volume production, as does SPC. So if they've had a failure on a part or assembly which they can't otherwise explain, they'll need to investigate a recall.

3Pio

by 3Pio

dsk28

by dsk28

Local Specialized Store (Specialized, not LBS) is refusing to change out my SL7 expander plug from the SL7 Recall notice to the new one because I did not purchase the SL7 from them.

How can I get the new expander plug? Is it purchaseable?

Looking for solutions, not complaint/bashing
My objective is to ride safe, I have a cross city ride in 5 days.

Thank you.

*this is also posted to the facebook group, I am desperate to find the new plug before my ride

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

contact rider care, i'm guessing that shop has limited supply and wants to take care of their patrons.

dsk28

by dsk28

Yeah, I have contacted them as well. Trying to get the parts in < 5 days if possible.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

They issue a stop-ride but only for original buyers? That's nonsense.

In any case, you (and anyone who wants to perform this themselves) should have no time ordering the part. It's just like any other part in their catalog.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

dsk28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 am
Local Specialized Store (Specialized, not LBS) is refusing to change out my SL7 expander plug from the SL7 Recall notice to the new one because I did not purchase the SL7 from them.

Thank you.

*this is also posted to the facebook group, I am desperate to find the new plug before my ride
If it was me, this is what I would do:

Go to Specialized website a search for dealers with __ radius of where you live.

Get a list of numbers and just call them up. Explain to them that you need to get the recall part for your SL7.

Ive done the warranty process several times and its really up to the shop.

Either they are about helping customer or not.

Surely you will find a shop willing to change it, but it might require a drive.

dsk28

by dsk28

Ride4Life wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:59 am
dsk28 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 am

Thank you.

If it was me, this is what I would do:

Go to Specialized website a search for dealers with __ radius of where you live.

Get a list of numbers and just call them up. Explain to them that you need to get the recall part for your SL7.

Ive done the warranty process several times and its really up to the shop.

Either they are about helping customer or not.

Surely you will find a shop willing to change it, but it might require a drive.

In my country all 6 stores are owned by the same person and they are all Specialized Stores.
I have emailed Specialized Global as well and am awaiting their response right now, it seems highly unlikely to get a quick fix and I am trying to source (would pay shipping & handling) the new expander plug from Facebook Groups.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

How did you get an SL7 if you didnt buy it from a store in your country?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dsk28

by dsk28

I purchased it via a local guy who got the frames shipped in from a neighbouring country.
The reason I did not purchase the SL7 locally is because I have been on the waitlist for 7 months prior without any luck, so when the chance came up to purchase an SL7 approximately 5 months ago I bit the bullet and purchased it (at a higher than MSRP price)
The registration went smoothly at www.specialized.com and I had it assembled at the local Specialized Store.

Come now it has been 12-13 months and I am still on the waitlist for the first SL7 I put my name on at the local Specialized Store.