S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

dsk28

by dsk28

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:07 pm
I'm assuming you didn't go in to the shop test ride one speak to the guys for 3 hours On the shop floor then go online and buy a second hand one of ebay so they have built up a little frustration towards you? ImageImage

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Test Ride? A luxury even the most wealthy wouldn't be able to afford.

Placed an order for thr SL7 without any options to choose a color or type (I just said Pro or Expert, whichever comes first)

Decided to purchase from the marketplace because the 3 months promised became 6 and still no sign of the bike.

Until today there is still no sign of the SL7 from the store... (even after owning one not purchased from them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dsk28

by dsk28

Specialized just replied my email saying they will contact my local Specialized Retailer to process my recall exchange to the new expander plug.

Hope this is the end of this saga and if it does, kudos to Specialized.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Interesting how the 'light' SL7 slowly becomes heavier with fixes like this. I doubt Specialized will be advertising the 'new' weight.

Factor had a similar issue (albeit not exactly the same) and at first tried to fix with a modified compression bung. When this still didn't work, they did what I had already suggested in my video on the subject - mould a set nut into the steerer.

I got a new fork from them, and because I have no spacers under my stem was able to cut off much of the steerer with all the nut in it, just leaving a small portion of nut.
That and no compression bung means I am now 12g lighter than before, with a better solution.

Front end now totally fine for over 2 months (3000km).

Now if I can just get rid of the creak from the BB (comes when doing over 300W or so).

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

cyclespeed wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:25 am
Interesting how the 'light' SL7 slowly becomes heavier with fixes like this. I doubt Specialized will be advertising the 'new' weight.
Not like they give system weights to begin with. "Here's a 700g frame! Don't mind the 500g cockpit"

I'm also a fan of Factor's solution

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 am
AKA doing what BMC have done for the last few years with their integrated bikes :thumbup:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:58 am
Please share whatever you are smoking... Jaysus.
If you can explain exactly what it is you're confused about then maybe I can help you without the aid of chemicals :noidea:

mgrl

by mgrl

Took bike into shop, got bike back next day. Nice and simple.

zekay

by zekay

Took 2 tarmacs to Specialized store today - no damage to either fork after combined 10k kms. New expanders fitted to both and out within an hour. Very easy process.
S-Works SL7 - 6.9 kg (Red AXS)
Allez Sprint ('22) - 8.06 kg (DA 9200)

Faster down than up

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ryanw wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:48 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 am
AKA doing what BMC have done for the last few years with their integrated bikes :thumbup:
my fork on my timemachine road is a fat pig though.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

dsk28 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 pm
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:07 pm
I'm assuming you didn't go in to the shop test ride one speak to the guys for 3 hours On the shop floor then go online and buy a second hand one of ebay so they have built up a little frustration towards you? ImageImage

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Test Ride? A luxury even the most wealthy wouldn't be able to afford.

Placed an order for thr SL7 without any options to choose a color or type (I just said Pro or Expert, whichever comes first)

Decided to purchase from the marketplace because the 3 months promised became 6 and still no sign of the bike.

Until today there is still no sign of the SL7 from the store... (even after owning one not purchased from them)
Your experience is on your local shop (plus the impacts from COVID). My shop was very upfront with me. If I wanted an S-Works Tarmac with Dura Ace. I was SOL. We decided to build up the bike. They gave me all the information available concerning availability of colors. After discussions, the shop ordered 3 different color S-Works frame. Leaving it up to me as to which 1 I wanted.

spartacus

by spartacus

Random question does anyone know if it's possible to buy any of the new parts (expander, two piece compression ring) online? Or does a shop have to order them?

Maddie

by Maddie

The new compression ring can be bought online: S212500016
Amaincycling in the US and and cingolanibikeshop in Europe are 2 of many possibilites.

I don't think we will see the new red expander online soon. Specialized probably wants to send them to LBS only to make sure that frames get inspected. But I'm just guessing here.

spartacus

by spartacus

Maddie wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:44 pm
The new compression ring can be bought online: S212500016
Amaincycling in the US and and cingolanibikeshop in Europe are 2 of many possibilites.

I don't think we will see the new red expander online soon. Specialized probably wants to send them to LBS only to make sure that frames get inspected. But I'm just guessing here.
Thank you I appreciate this! So the two piece compression ring is one part number eh.

Anyways I have a story, I took my bike in for the recall and they replaced my expander but not the compression ring. I took it apart after I got it back to look at some cable rub in the head tube and to look at the new part, and sure enough it was still the old one. When I questioned them they claimed that when they put in my serial number, specialized only sent them the expander. It's been a week since they were going to "call specialized" and try to get the new part but I'm tired of waiting and want to install it myself and move on with my life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmomentum

by jmomentum

Let's say you have a completely different warranty issue somewhere down the line. Let's say you ignored this recall or installed the expander ring yourself. Would this have an affect on the warranty. This is my only concern with doing it myself. I assume Specialized will be tracking which bikes had the replacement done by an official specialized retailer.