Fork compression plug slips

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Takeswood

by Takeswood

Hi everybody,

I ride a Focus Izalco Max 9.8 in ultegra Di2.
But yesterday to remove one spacer under my stem, I saw something potentially wrong :

My fork compression plug is out from the fork for 2mm. I mean, the bottom of the collar's compression plug is not in contact with the top of the fork. There is approximately a 2mm play. And there is another 2mm between compression plug and my top cap. So there is no play in my steerer and I can tighten at 6nm top cap screw as well. But when I tighten this bolt, I feel the compression plug slips inside the fork and at one point, compression plug stop slipping and tighten decomes harder (I think I just slip this 2mm play). In fact, because I have no play in my steerer, I could leave this like that. However, I think it is something wrong...

I remove compression plug, clear all surface of contact between the fork and apply carbon assembly paste to prevent sliping. I thighten compression plug as asked on my manuel user of Focus Izalco Max. But nothing helps...

Could you tell me your idea to prevent compression plug sliping ? :noidea:

DaveS

by DaveS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GiantRider

by GiantRider

Maybe you could benefit from an extra long expander, it would almost double the contact with the steerer tube. Something like this might do it:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/ ... prod171842

Takeswood

by Takeswood

DaveS wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:05 pm
viewtopic.php?p=1705117#p1705117
Thanks, I have not seen this topic. Maybe helps me.
GiantRider wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:05 pm
Maybe you could benefit from an extra long expander, it would almost double the contact with the steerer tube. Something like this might do it:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/ ... prod171842
It is already a long expander inside my steerer tube... I have an other expander for my second bike, I will try this to see if the expander plug continue to slip out. Thank you !

MaxPower

by MaxPower

I found that the specialized plug for carbon steerer is excellent for supporting the critical area, and does not slip. Had only troubles with different fsa versions, even the long ones.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Takeswood wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:24 pm
This one: https://www.bike24.com/p2191236.html?me ... ,1995,1997 ?
Yes. it says 9.2N in the manual, but i run them on 2 bikes with 7N and they don´t slip. i had problems that at 9N the bottom wedge would pull all the way through to the top wedge. And really, there is no need to run more newton than necessary to make it not slip.

As said before, have had this plug since (and its predecessor) since 2014 - never ever slipped. I also like that the length is really good. around 45-48mm. Be sure to grease the TOP wedge and screw only, if you are stupid like me and don´t read manuals than greasing the bottom wedge will make the bottom wedge slip through the sleeve. They are difficult to get out of the fork again though

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

I've had that issue before and ended up getting a long Neco expander off of Amazon- no idea how much it weighs but tightening it to spec and using a bunch of carbon paste solved the problem for me.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

Takeswood

by Takeswood

I ordered a pro expander in long version, and solved the problem. Thank you all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com