Tarmac SL6 VS Aethos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

okx

by okx

I'm starting to think about next bike build and at the moment considering which frameset to choose...
s-works tarmac sl6 or pro aethos, price is almost identical.
Just want to hear opinion and comparsion of both bikes from someone who had both.
I'm not racing, so my first priorities are:
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I haven´t tried Aethos yet, but S-Works SL6 is almost perfect allround bike. Stiff, light, stable, comfortable. It´s very fast uphill and on flats too, but since you are not racing your 1st priority is comfort, the Aethos could be better choice. Anyway the SL6 is one of the most comfortable bikes I´ve ridden, if not the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

I suggest you Aethos, the frameset it is very good for comfort, and the weitgh are the best,for disc version using the R8070 can reduce weigth to 6.8kgs without problems, The Aethos are worthy for collection. You will not regret!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

okx wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 pm
I'm starting to think about next bike build and at the moment considering which frameset to choose...
Just want to hear opinion and comparsion of both bikes from someone who had both.
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability
Are both disc brake versions?
I guess Aethos hold a better second hand value!?
But if Aethos has same ride quality (disc brake) as a rim brake SL6, it's a good work from the engineer.

Finally to OP, i would say as a friend, buy the frameset / bike that makes you most warm to think about.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

wheelsONfire wrote:
okx wrote:
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability
But if Aethos has same ride quality (disc brake) as a rim brake SL6, it's a good work from the engineer.

Finally to OP, i would say as a friend, buy the frameset / bike that makes you most warm to think about.
If you get a rim brake SL6 it is by far more comfortable than the disc as it doesn’t need all those reinforced areas due to disc brakes.

The SL6 is not a bike you should take your hands off the bar. The SL5 no problem. But SL6 will bite ya, it’s super responsive on descents and agile - hence pay attention when you ride. But for changing lines mid corner - no problem.

Can’t say how the Atheos behaves as I haven’t ridden one. The bike just looks so old technology and boring from the appearance. Much rather ride the SL6.

Weight is so minuscule between the two. But the aero gains with the SL6 is probably more beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okx

by okx

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:54 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
okx wrote:
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability

If you get a rim brake SL6 it is by far more comfortable than the disc as it doesn’t need all those reinforced areas due to disc brakes.

The SL6 is not a bike you should take your hands off the bar. The SL5 no problem. But SL6 will bite ya, it’s super responsive on descents and agile - hence pay attention when you ride. But for changing lines mid corner - no problem.

Can’t say how the Atheos behaves as I haven’t ridden one. The bike just looks so old technology and boring from the appearance. Much rather ride the SL6.

Weight is so minuscule between the two. But the aero gains with the SL6 is probably more beneficial.

I'm looking at SL6 disk version.
And yes, SL6 for my personal taste looks much better than aethos, but I really don't like this part - "SL6 will bite", especially when my current bike is Pinarello, which is quite stable bike.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

SL6 disc vs Aethos is a no-brainer choice in favour of the Aethos.
If you preferred integrated cables and aero, SL7 vs Aethos could be a debate.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

okx wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 pm
Ronin416 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
okx wrote:
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability

And yes, SL6 for my personal taste looks much better than aethos, but I really don't like this part - "SL6 will bite", especially when my current bike is Pinarello, which is quite stable bike.
Well it is absolute BS, so I would not worry!!

Can't take your hands off the bars FFS, really....

djel

by djel

I bought a SL6 s-works disc at the beginning of the year and I tested an Aethos with the Alpinist cockpit.

It was a non s-works Aethos with mechanical R8050; I didn't weight the bike but it felt close to my Tarmac at around 6.8kg in 56. It would be easy to drop the weight on the Aethos without having to go with exotic parts while I don't think I could go lower (without expensive parts) on my 6.7kg SL6.

Both frames are incredibly comfortable, but I never tried other top end framesets like an Emonda SLR or Pinarello F...I had the latest Izalco Max before the Tarmac and the ride was noticeably harsher. The Alpinist cockpit stiffened up the front end while I have a standard stem & bar combo. I can't conclude on the comfort on longer ride for the Aethos, but the bike felt compliant and absorbed the vibration well on rough surfaces.

The handling and the stability of the SL6 are one of the things I like the most about the frameset. It's incredibly steady and corners on rails. I used to be uncomfortable on descents, but the Tarmac gave me heaps of confidence. I know it's not the tires as I was riding the GP5k on my Izalco too and on the same wheelset. The front end of the Izalco is more nervous and had to be kept in check the whole time. On the Tarmac and on the Aethos, it's much more stable and you immediately feel in control. Again, maybe I didn't have the best bikes to compare (Izalco Max, CAAD12, CAAD10, Scott Addict..), but I'm faster on the descents because the bike brings me more comfort.

I really, really like my SL6 as I feel it can do everything well. I have a set of lightweight wheels for the hills and a set of wide & deep wheels for the rolling hills or flat terrains. I changed the aero bars for a lightweight round bars from EXS (I find round bars more comfortable) and the cables are exposed for easy maintenance. I know I would be happy with an Aethos as well and I don't think I would notice the aero penalty too much. The Aethos is an understated bike and will not get as many looks as the Tarmac, but if you buy for yourself, I'm sure you won't be disappointed regardless of your choice.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I can't really ride my sl6 nohands either. I don't claim to be very skilled but i did ride other bikes which did not pose a problem. However i have never felt it nervous or fear inducing when descending. The fork is precise and solid.

RideRunSwim

by RideRunSwim

Sl6 rode quality is supposed to be quite similar to the Aethos. Haven't ridden the tarmac but the Aethos is almost certainly more comfortable due to the lower seat cluster. A bigger influence on comfort will be your wheels and tires. I have the new Zipp Firecrest with 28mm tires and they are amazing at smoothing out bumps. You can go for the cheaper 303 S and it will be pretty much he same too.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

okx wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
okx wrote:
1) comfort
2) weight
3) handling/stability

I say that, cause of all the bikes I have owned it’s one I really don’t like riding with no hands. So taking my arm warmers or jacket off while riding no hands isn’t gonna happen.

If you never do that, don’t let that deter you. It’s an amazing bike!

Maddie

by Maddie

I owned both SL6 disc and Aethos. In a blinded experiment and with the same wheels/tires/tire pressure, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I certainly couldn't. They are both fantastic bikes. Aethos had a great paintjob (the copper one) but the SL6 frame itself looked better IMHO. Unfortunately I crashed the Aethos and I sold the SL6 in favor of a SL7. I still have a SL6 rim (6.1kg) but this one has a different feel when out of the saddle. Not saying better or faster, just different.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Maddie wrote:I owned both SL6 disc and Aethos. In a blinded experiment and with the same wheels/tires/tire pressure, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. I certainly couldn't. They are both fantastic bikes. Aethos had a great paintjob (the copper one) but the SL6 frame itself looked better IMHO. Unfortunately I crashed the Aethos and I sold the SL6 in favor of a SL7. I still have a SL6 rim (6.1kg) but this one has a different feel when out of the saddle. Not saying better or faster, just different.
I like your reply Maddie, as other owners say the same thing when comparing rim vs disc SL6. I feel it just feels a bit more lively.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I would expect the SL6 and Aethos to handle very similarly as they have the same geometry... I would have also expected the handling to be similar to the SL5 as the geomety is basically the same again (I haven't ridden an SL5 to compare).

Comfort may be different, Aethos receives high praise in this area. Also the Aethos had a threaded BB vs press-fit on the SL6, which matters a lot to some people.