Tarmac SL6 VS Aethos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I owned both SL6 and Aethos quite similar just the former faster of the two. But the SL7 is a different beast the reason still loving it.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

TwiggyForest wrote:I would expect the SL6 and Aethos to handle very similarly as they have the same geometry... I would have also expected the handling to be similar to the SL5 as the geomety is basically the same again (I haven't ridden an SL5 to compare).

Comfort may be different, Aethos receives high praise in this area. Also the Aethos had a threaded BB vs press-fit on the SL6, which matters a lot to some people.
I thought that the SL5 would be similar to the SL6 in handling as I too compared the charts, but it’s a world of difference in handling. I loved the stability the SL5 exuded especially on descents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

G104xG320

by G104xG320

SL6 wins the weight(rim brake option), stiffness (tour magazine - 70+(SL6) vs 50+(aethos)), aerodynamics(advertised at release).

If weren't for disc brake I don't see any reason to go for aethos.

Maddie

by Maddie

My Aethos was lighter than my SL6 rim, it can easily be built sub 6kg. I didn't feel any stiffness difference in the BB area between the two. I think you can't just go by these numbers and say that's the stiffest bike. Some people say the Aethos is a noodle. They obviously have never ridden it. From a pure performance factor, the SL6 and Aethos are basically the same. But that's just me.

okx

by okx

Still haven't pushed buy botton, but as all Aethos Pro frames are out of stock in Europe, at least 49 size, I'm leaning to SL6 Sworks frameset...
Maybe someone had a chance to compare weight difference between Aethos Pro and SL6 sworks framesets?

Maddie

by Maddie

Aethos frames are lighter than SL6 frames. My S-Works Aethos in size 54 was 588g. Non S-Works around 100-120g heavier. My S-Works SL6 rim frameset is 848g, also size 54. Disc SL6 frames weigh around 70g more than SL6 rim frames. Depending on the color, SL6 vary quite a bit. But Aethos frames are definitely significantly lighter.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

okx wrote:Still haven't pushed buy botton, but as all Aethos Pro frames are out of stock in Europe, at least 49 size, I'm leaning to SL6 Sworks frameset...
Maybe someone had a chance to compare weight difference between Aethos Pro and SL6 sworks framesets?
It’s just me, but buying an “Atheos Pro” totally negates all that hype of lightweight. It be another story if it was a Pro Tarmac and that be more digestible, but having a heavier Atheos I’d much rather grab an SL6.

okx

by okx

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm
okx wrote:Still haven't pushed buy botton, but as all Aethos Pro frames are out of stock in Europe, at least 49 size, I'm leaning to SL6 Sworks frameset...
It’s just me, but buying an “Atheos Pro” totally negates all that hype of lightweight. It be another story if it was a Pro Tarmac and that be more digestible, but having a heavier Atheos I’d much rather grab an SL6.

At this point I'm looking for lightest frameset for 3,5k Eu and if it's Aethos pro, why not to go with it?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have an Aethos frame haging in my garage waiting for the new Dura-Ace 12v group.
Nevertheless I would still like to purchase an SL6 rim
brake.
Where are all those second hand frames?

montana05

by montana05

I have one sl6 ultralight size 56 hanging in my garage , matt black: too lazy to put it up for sale.
Also no idea what to ask for it??

AJS914

by AJS914

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:38 pm
Where are all those second hand frames?
I've been keeping my eye out for the right deal in a 56 and keep coming up short. I see way more used disc brake frames showing up on ebay.

PSM

by PSM

It is strange with the Aethos. I haven't ridden it enough yet. Bought it in September. Then came the winter here in Sweden...

But it is a strange feeling to ride it. Compared to my previous bikes.
Cervélo R3 x3. Stiff as hell. Fun but uncomfortable. 6,7 - 7,3 kg.
Colnago M10. Super nice and every aspect. Fast and perfectly harsh. Sporty. Diffrent top wheels. 7,3 FFWD FFC4R
Emonda ALR 5 with D-A 9001 and Paradigm Elite. Harsh and sprinty. Great bike! 7,2 kg

Aethos S-Works Di2. As stock but Pirello tires. Does it ride like a Tesla. I think that is the best way to describe it. 6,43 kg.

Here it is. Powermeter removed. (New crank)

sigma

by sigma

montana05 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:19 pm
I have one sl6 ultralight size 56 hanging in my garage , matt black: too lazy to put it up for sale.
Also no idea what to ask for it??
I should think 3-4k usd range.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

sigma

by sigma

okx wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:47 pm
Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm

At this point I'm looking for lightest frameset for 3,5k Eu and if it's Aethos pro, why not to go with it?
I bought a focus izalco max rim frame for about 500 euros from one of the german sites (bike 24) as a project bike for fun. It's about 670g if I recall....this was a couple of years ago and I still have not got on it but this winter perhaps...
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com