Did the Aethos put a nail in the Roubaix coffin (for now); forcing Specialized to redesign it in the future??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

Here in Switzerland you see plenty of Aethos.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Yeah the ST and HT on the 56/58 are at 73.5 degrees on the Aethos which is a tad to racey for me but a riding buddy of mine likes this geometry and purchased the 56 and seems pretty happy with it. He is coming off a Cannondale Evo and seems to like the Aethos better. I thought about this as my next purchase but just couldnt get around the STA as a 73 degree works better for me.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

gSporco wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm
I am new to the world of Specialized... I recently built an Aethos, non Sworks Frameset. I am coming from a Cervelo Aspero as my everything bike.. I like to build bikes and try new stuff and being as I am riding 90% tarmac I decided on something more dedicated to long days in the saddle, as well as a bike that looks very traditional..

Comparing both the Aspero and the Aethos, using the same wheelset at first running 35mm Gravelking slicks I was taken back on how comfortable the Aethos is.

Aethos: Has more tire clearance (I tested 35mm and 36mm with good clearance), is very compliant and has Specialized Tarmac Geometry, can be built lite without fancy parts.
I am very interested in this in spite of the new Crux announcement. I am mainly going to be riding road but the roads are in poor condition here and want to be able to fit large volume tires. I have been trying to find out which tires and what sizes fit on the Aethos.

It looks like you fit Gravelking slicks. What tire were the 36mm? Have you tried anything with a mild tread pattern? Is there any rubbing when you are riding and the frame flexes?

Lastly, do you have pictures with the tires fitted?

Thanks

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've seen my fair share of Aethos, but I ride in circles that aren't representative of the market. The most popular Specialized bike remains the Venge since it was available before the SL7 and Aethos.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

removed by mod - off topic
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

Supersix56

by Supersix56

Durianrider claims his S-Works SL7 rides mushy compared to his other S-Works road bikes. He says the S-Works SL4 roubaix rim brake is FAR stiffer and responsive than his SL7 S-Works.

The Aethos looks far easier to build and looks more reliable than the SL7.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Supersix56 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:32 am
Durianrider claims his S-Works SL7 rides mushy compared to his other S-Works road bikes. He says the S-Works SL4 roubaix rim brake is FAR stiffer and responsive than his SL7 S-Works.

Ah yes, the the famous source of truth that is durianrider.

Geraint

by Geraint

I had the choice to make between the two and went for a Roubaix team, not least because Certini had them on sale and they were 2/3 the price of the Aethos, which also had limited availability at the time. I also have a SL7 and thought the Roubaix was a better fit in the stable.

The Roubaix is aero - I seem to remember them claiming it was 'lighter than our Venge, and more aero than our Tarmac' (SL6) - which would be significant for pros at Paris-Roubaix, and although the shock is controversial that would also be beneficial there.

I tried a pair of wheels on it that had 38mm Panaracer GravelKing Slicks fitted, and they fit with rideable clearance. I haven't ridden it with them on, but they do fit.

I think Spesh are basically segmenting the segments - Aethos is a comfy punchy bike, Roubaix for longer adventures on bad roads. Ditto for the new Crux and Diverge.

guyc

by guyc

Supersix56 wrote:

Rule of thumb. Never listen or give that POS any clicks or airtime.

gSporco

by gSporco

Ridinghigh wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:29 pm
gSporco wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm
I am new to the world of Specialized... I recently built an Aethos, non Sworks Frameset. I am coming from a Cervelo Aspero as my everything bike.. I like to build bikes and try new stuff and being as I am riding 90% tarmac I decided on something more dedicated to long days in the saddle, as well as a bike that looks very traditional..

Comparing both the Aspero and the Aethos, using the same wheelset at first running 35mm Gravelking slicks I was taken back on how comfortable the Aethos is.

Aethos: Has more tire clearance (I tested 35mm and 36mm with good clearance), is very compliant and has Specialized Tarmac Geometry, can be built lite without fancy parts.
I am very interested in this in spite of the new Crux announcement. I am mainly going to be riding road but the roads are in poor condition here and want to be able to fit large volume tires. I have been trying to find out which tires and what sizes fit on the Aethos.

It looks like you fit Gravelking slicks. What tire were the 36mm? Have you tried anything with a mild tread pattern? Is there any rubbing when you are riding and the frame flexes?

Lastly, do you have pictures with the tires fitted?

Thanks
35mm GK Slicks on Zipp 303 FS wheels with 25mm internal.

Sorry no pictures available as I moved to 28mm American Classic Timekeeper that measure 31mm on the same rims
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gSporco wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 pm

Sorry no pictures available as I moved to 28mm American Classic Timekeeper that measure 31mm on the same rims
Did you give those American Classic tires a good sniff? They smell like manure for some reason.

gSporco

by gSporco

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:04 pm
gSporco wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 pm

Did you give those American Classic tires a good sniff? They smell like manure for some reason.
LOL, no I haven't... but for me they feel and perform great
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Aethos is such a good bike, it rides like a rim brake road bike with disc brake stopping power.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

guyc wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:12 am
Supersix56 wrote:

Rule of thumb. Never listen or give that POS any clicks or airtime.
Why is that? I think he is an absolute legend. He called the SL7 recall back in April and then leaked the official documents before anyone on the internet had them. Say what you think about him but the dude calls the shots and is all about rider safety. Undeniable polarising guy with his truth bombs. His girlfriends...damn serious fine nubile vixens!!
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

One more post about "Durianrider" and you can take a little vacation.