Did the Aethos put a nail in the Roubaix coffin (for now); forcing Specialized to redesign it in the future??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gSporco

by gSporco

robeambro wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 pm
gSporco wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm
My current setups (Aethos) 28mm Timekeeper Tubeless on 25mm internal 303 Firecrests balloon to 31.2mm. It feels like a magic carpet ride, but stills handles like a race bike..

If I could squeeze a 38mm tire in the Aethos (which you can) it would be "my" quiver killer N=1 bike...
The Crux seems like a great option but from what I have read its stiffer than the Aethos amd being as I would be riding it 90% road I fear it would be to harsh with 28mm tires
Can you though? From some posts either here or in the general Aethos thread it seems as though you might struggle with anything larger than 32-34mm especially when riding off-road.
Before I road with the 28mm tires on the 303 FS wheels I ran a set of well used Gravelking slicks 32mm which measured 35.2mm and they fit perfectly on the Aethos... the problem isnt the space width wise, its actually the height of the tires run out of room..

If I was CX racer, I wouldn't hesitate using thw Aethos with knobby 32mm CX tireS.. Inwould just 3m tape the crap out of the stays as the mud would scratch it up eventually

35mm is where it ends though.. 38 GK wont fit the fork as it bottoms out and in the chain stays.. maybe 650b by 38mm, but that size is kinda pointless for 650b IMHO
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

robeambro

by robeambro

gSporco wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 am
robeambro wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 pm
gSporco wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm
My current setups (Aethos) 28mm Timekeeper Tubeless on 25mm internal 303 Firecrests balloon to 31.2mm. It feels like a magic carpet ride, but stills handles like a race bike..

If I could squeeze a 38mm tire in the Aethos (which you can) it would be "my" quiver killer N=1 bike...
The Crux seems like a great option but from what I have read its stiffer than the Aethos amd being as I would be riding it 90% road I fear it would be to harsh with 28mm tires
Can you though? From some posts either here or in the general Aethos thread it seems as though you might struggle with anything larger than 32-34mm especially when riding off-road.
Before I road with the 28mm tires on the 303 FS wheels I ran a set of well used Gravelking slicks 32mm which measured 35.2mm and they fit perfectly on the Aethos... the problem isnt the space width wise, its actually the height of the tires run out of room..

If I was CX racer, I wouldn't hesitate using thw Aethos with knobby 32mm CX tireS.. Inwould just 3m tape the crap out of the stays as the mud would scratch it up eventually

35mm is where it ends though.. 38 GK wont fit the fork as it bottoms out and in the chain stays.. maybe 650b by 38mm, but that size is kinda pointless for 650b IMHO
I see your point - I suppose there's a gray area between the Aethos and the Crux where the N=1 bike could sit perfectly. I do wonder what would pro's ride next year at the classics without sponsor pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

They will ride the SL7. It offers plenty of tire clearance for 32mm tires and more than that is not needed.