Did the Aethos put a nail in the Roubaix coffin (for now); forcing Specialized to redesign it in the future??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DHG01

by DHG01

gSporco wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 pm

35mm GK Slicks on Zipp 303 FS wheels with 25mm internal.

Sorry no pictures available as I moved to 28mm American Classic Timekeeper that measure 31mm on the same rims
This is useful. If 33-36 mm fit, I wouldn't mind the Aetheos as alternative to my current BMC CX01; my concern would be if the frame is too fragile for off road use.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think a lot of folks are confusing ride percieved ride quality and actual ride quality with the Athos. Certainly bigger tires really negate a lot of the frame cushioning concerns, but if you look at any of the frame/seatpost squish tests the Aethos is pretty mid-pack. The Roubaix type bikes will still handle bigger, sharper impacts better, especially in smaller frame sizes. The bars, seat post, and tires are going to matter a lot better the frame.

From what I've seen, assuming the testing was good, was that the Aethos does a good job of matching the front and rear ride rate, so you bounce up and down evenly and feel the same impact with your hands and bottom. Some fo the endurance bikes have a super soft rear and than 3x stiffer fork-end, so while your whole body isn't getting punished your arms feel the impacts - the front moves higher up and faster than the rear for the same bump. The Aethos has a softer fork-end and a mid pack rear, moving the whole body closer to the same rate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

DHG01 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:30 pm
gSporco wrote:

Sorry no pictures available as I moved to 28mm American Classic Timekeeper that measure 31mm on the same rims

This is useful. If 33-36 mm fit, I wouldn't mind the Aetheos as alternative to my current BMC CX01; my concern would be if the frame is too fragile for off road use.
It will also depend on what rims you are using (internal width)

Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate taking on gravel roads... I have one gravel sector on one of my loops and it handles great... maybe some protective tape wouldn't hurt in key areas
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

RyanH

by RyanH

I asked a friend to take photos with Gravel Kings 36mm that balloon to 37mm. He said while the tire rotates without rubbing, there's no way you could ride this combo without eventually destroying your frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RyanH wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:49 pm
I asked a friend to take photos with Gravel Kings 36mm that balloon to 37mm. He said while the tire rotates without rubbing, there's no way you could ride this combo without eventually destroying your frame.

Oh, right you are. That will not work well if you want to keep (atleast) the paint intact.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Geraint

by Geraint

DHG01 wrote:
gSporco wrote:

If you want an Aethos to ride off road, have you looked at the new Crux?

RyanH

by RyanH

I think it's reasonable to say that the width of the chainstays and fork is around 40mm so 3mm of clearance on each side could be okay (34mm actual).

DHG01

by DHG01

Geraint wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 pm
DHG01 wrote:
gSporco wrote:

If you want an Aethos to ride off road, have you looked at the new Crux?
I think the Crux would make a great ride.

I rather the 54 ETT and a bit shorter headtube of the Aetheos. I also like the more road geometry (one of the things I like about my BMC, albeit the bb drop...). And of course, the incredibly light frame.

Having said that - the clearance seems a bit tight. I typically ride 32-36mm.

Ryan- thanks for posting the pic with the clearance.

gSporco

by gSporco

Yeah, I would say 32mm tire on a 25mm internal rim is probably max for the Aethos..

The Crux is probably a great choice for someone looking for an Aethos style bike that will be more All Road specific... However, once you go down this road of a one bike to rule them all, there maybe better options out there, it all depends what you are looking for.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Sock3t

by Sock3t

The roubaix is UCI legal. The Aethos isn't. So if you want a relaxed bike to race, Roubaix it is. The ROubaix is also more aero...

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Sock3t wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:37 pm
The roubaix is UCI legal. The Aethos isn't.
It is.
So if you want a relaxed bike to race,

The Aethos isn't a relaxed bike.

mgrl

by mgrl

Sock3t wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:37 pm
The roubaix is UCI legal. The Aethos isn't.
Asgreen rode an Aethos in the Tour de France

PSM

by PSM

I have an Aethos S-Works with Dura Ace.

It came with 28 mm tyres. The bike felt too comfortable with them. The frame, wheels and the components are built to be comfortable.

I switched to Pirelli 25 mm and the bike turned out more sporty. Still very comfortable.

It is a race bike and I wanted it to feel crisp. Now it does that perfectly.

gSporco

by gSporco

My current setups (Aethos) 28mm Timekeeper Tubeless on 25mm internal 303 Firecrests balloon to 31.2mm. It feels like a magic carpet ride, but stills handles like a race bike..

If I could squeeze a 38mm tire in the Aethos (which you can) it would be "my" quiver killer N=1 bike...
The Crux seems like a great option but from what I have read its stiffer than the Aethos amd being as I would be riding it 90% road I fear it would be to harsh with 28mm tires
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

robeambro

by robeambro

gSporco wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 pm
My current setups (Aethos) 28mm Timekeeper Tubeless on 25mm internal 303 Firecrests balloon to 31.2mm. It feels like a magic carpet ride, but stills handles like a race bike..

If I could squeeze a 38mm tire in the Aethos (which you can) it would be "my" quiver killer N=1 bike...
The Crux seems like a great option but from what I have read its stiffer than the Aethos amd being as I would be riding it 90% road I fear it would be to harsh with 28mm tires
Can you though? From some posts either here or in the general Aethos thread it seems as though you might struggle with anything larger than 32-34mm especially when riding off-road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com