Seatpost rattles in frame (w/o clamping)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ABogle

by ABogle

Hi all, I've ordered a frameset, it takes a standard 27.2mm seatpost.

I bought a Prime Primavera Inline Carbon Seatpost. It fits fairly snuggly in the seat tube at the clamping area (without actually tighening the clamp).

However if I insert the post before clamping I can still wiggle it and I can hearit rattle against the inside of the seattube (lower down not at the clamp area). Tighening it of course remove the ability to rattle it around, but I haven't built up and ridden the bike yet.

Is this normal for seatpost post or is there something wrong here and is it likely to creak once built up and ridden?

Apologies if this is a moronic question. I haven't owned for a bike w/ a round seatpost for years.

AJS914

by AJS914

It doesn't sound like a problem at all. Use carbon paste for your installation. You should not have any rattling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

If the seatpost is too far inside the seat tube it may rattle, even if clamped in tightly.

If this is the case, even after using carbon paste and tightening to the right torque, then the only remedy may be to cut a few centimetres off the seatpost.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ms6073

by ms6073

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 pm
If the seatpost is too far inside the seat tube it may rattle, even if clamped in tightly.

then the only remedy may be to cut a few centimetres off the seatpost.
Not sure I am following the logic there as that seems counter intuitive. Most seat posts require at least 90-100 mm of the post to be inserted into the seat tube and once inserted to the manufacturers minimum insertion line, then the seat tube really should only allow rotational motion and not much if any lateral play/woble. If insertion further beyond the manufacturers minimum insertion point starts to allow for increased woble/lateral play, then I would suspect there is something wrong with the seat tubes internal bore.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

Deleted
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ABogle

by ABogle

Thanks for your responses guys, everything I described is w/ the post inserted between the min/max insertion depth.

I volunteer at a bike hire on weekends, all dirt cheap bikes, I will see how they compare when I get a chance. Although normally if I completely loosen the clamp to adjust the saddle height for someone, the post will just drop all the way into the seat tube without any reistance.