Chrome paint on carbon frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I´m thinking about giving some new look to my carbon frame.
Is it possible to get the mirror chrome look that will last and not to cost a fortune?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

As in everything you get what you pay for. If it's cheap it's either going to look rubbish or not last. Expensive doesn't mean you'll get high quality unless you do it right yourself or get the right person to do it. Painting is all about preparation which is what you can't see. The actual painting itself is just minutes in total but preparation can be many hours to get a perfect finish. You can probably get a mirror look to last but it will probably look poor due to the lack of proper preparation. But then the lack of proper preparation may result in it not lasting either.

mvcap

by mvcap

Might also consider vinyl wrap, tons of options including the chrome look

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

c60rider wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:51 pm
You can probably get a mirror look to last but it will probably look poor due to the lack of proper preparation.
Another consideration is the long term effects from normal wear and tear of riding your bike. I got my Colnago in the Frozen Red colorway which looks amazing, but I cringe everytime I clean the bike and find a rock chip in the finish, so I would imagine it would not take many rock chips for a chrome finish colorway to start looking pretty rough around the edges.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mcfarton

by mcfarton

There is a new paint product that looks chrome. Look on YouTube. There are videos of people applying it. It goes on to the point it drips off. I would still pay a pro to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfarton

by mcfarton

https://youtu.be/A6kypid0XG0

c60rider

by c60rider

mcfarton wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 am
https://youtu.be/A6kypid0XG0

Not sure it's new the video is 7 years old. It seems to be so much more complicated compared to spray painting with lots of potential for error at every stage that will affect the finish compared with spray painting. Interesting that the comments have been turned off so maybe a lot of people have questioned what, if any, advantages it has over regular spray painting. It doesn't seem to have caught on in that time as it's something I've not seen used at all.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

It was new to me. It looks way more complicated than spray paint. But spray paint never looks like chrome. It just looks silver. That has a chrome look to it. I would like to see it in person. Hydro dipping never really took off either. That stuff is neat and a durable finish.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks for all replies.

Vinyl wrap may look good on car´s hood, but I doubt it will do the job on bike.

Technique from video looks great, but I don´t know anything about it´s durability on the bike and don´t know anyone who has experiences with it.

I´d love to have my bike resprayed and laquered, but is it even possible to spray chrome paint? Or every spayed paint would look silverish?

c60rider

by c60rider

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:14 am
Thanks for all replies.

Vinyl wrap may look good on car´s hood, but I doubt it will do the job on bike.

Technique from video looks great, but I don´t know anything about it´s durability on the bike and don´t know anyone who has experiences with it.

I´d love to have my bike resprayed and laquered, but is it even possible to spray chrome paint? Or every spayed paint would look silverish?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBtdU10PIcE here's an example of what you'd be wanting. The problem is the cost of a professional spray painter doing that for you. It's all in the preparation. And to properly prepare a frame with all the hours of sanding to perfection after each coat to get a perfect finish adds up. You could be looking at 20 plus hours in labour and more for a more complicated finish with lots of masking patterns. So even if it's a typical workshop hourly rate of £50 to £60 you'd be looking at upwards of £1000 for a high quality paint job. Significantly less than that and some major corners have been cut which will compromise the end result or the longevity of the finish.

Vinyl wrapping isn't as hard as it appears as the products are rapidly improving to make it easier to apply. That might be your cheapest option for the best look but you've got a complication of not having any edges like a car does. You've got round tubes that need to be joined together somewhere. That's going to be near impossible to do without showing I can imagine.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I can see the chrome mirror paint will be tough end expensive to get, but what about something like this chrome tint?
Still expensive and hard to paint?
Attachments
lak1.jpg

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

try emailing etoe

c60rider

by c60rider

Roadrocket wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:26 pm
I can see the chrome mirror paint will be tough end expensive to get, but what about something like this chrome tint?
Still expensive and hard to paint?
Paint is paint. It's a colour whether it be red, metallic, colour shifting or a variation of chrome. The paint type and effect will add to the cost and may require extra steps but there are no corners to be cut. Etoe has plenty of youtube videos showing the work involved then you'll realise why a high quality paint job costs so much irrespective of the final colour.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:27 pm
I´m thinking about giving some new look to my carbon frame.
Is it possible to get the mirror chrome look that will last and not to cost a fortune?

Thanks
https://www.unlimitedcolors.nl/cases/

randy.beus@unlimitedcolors.nl
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Have you all seen the new bastion with chrome paint 🤯
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie