Lightweight tubes and tires vs lightweight tubeless tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:Never going back to tubes.
Ditto.
Very happy with tubeless.
Works well.

naavt

by naavt

Any recommendations for a light tire with tan walls, being it tubeless or clincher?

It seems that light tubeless tan sidewall tires only exist in Schwalbe TT.

American Classic could be another option but importing them from US to Europe is expensive.

More options on the clincher side so what do you recommend? And what tubes? Tubolito?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

Believe it or not, what is one reccomendation added to this thread does not guarantee that result. Seeking performance-upgrades within tire-choice is not anything similar to running gumwall or blackwall tires.
Asking questions like these, but not offering up what's current tire sizes, your present weight, an estimate of weight distribution on the bike or to what extent the tires get pushed begs to be asked.
Good luck with getting those new sidewalls tho, 'cause it's apparently the only important thing here.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That and the "tan" on most of these tires is quite ugly. On the Schwalbe Pro One TT mentioned above, it's almost a light brownish-orange. On the American Classic Timekeeper, it's like brown-clay.

These tires could not be more dissimilar either. One is the most fragile tubeless tire in existence and the other feels quite robust in my hand.

Also the regular Pro Ones do now come in "transparent," which is "tan." The regular Pro Ones are competent in terms of grip, rolling efficiency, puncture resistance and endurance...I would go with those.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:13 am

It works until it doesn't.

Tubes work until they don't. Tubulars work until they don't. Oversimplifications and generalizations work until they don't.

100% of my tubeless punctures this year have sealed.
Having to put a tube in and dealing with the mess is what I'm getting on about. On my mountain bike, I can't break the bead free from the rim on the front tire. Any suggestions here?

naavt

by naavt

MarshMellow wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Asking questions like these, but not offering up what's current tire sizes, your present weight, an estimate of weight distribution on the bike or to what extent the tires get pushed begs to be asked.
Good luck with getting those new sidewalls tho, 'cause it's apparently the only important thing here.
If it was the only important thing it would be an easier task and I wouldn't be here asking you all these questions.

Yes. Tan sidewalls are important and that is one of the main factors here. But did you read the whole thread? If you did, you could see that lightweight are also important.

Regarding your "specifics". I'm 1,80, 69 kgs, I produce an average of 4w / kg at 1 hour and the bike will weight around 6,2 kg, with a wheelset comprised of Lightbicycle AR46 rims, Extralite SP hubs and Alpina Hyperlite spokes.

Is this sufficient for you to formulate and share your opinion?

naavt

by naavt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:52 pm

Also the regular Pro Ones do now come in "transparent," which is "tan." The regular Pro Ones are competent in terms of grip, rolling efficiency, puncture resistance and endurance...I would go with those.
I have a pair and the color is very muted, almost dark brown. Really dislike the tone!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Veloflex Corsa Race TLR is tan and very light for the tire protection it offers (see BRR). ~220g vr 300g for most others in the same category like GP5k.

Light tubed will be lighter than light tubeless unless you skip the sealant or use heavy tubes.

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

naavt wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 pm
MarshMellow wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm

If it was the only important thing it would be an easier task and I wouldn't be here asking you all these questions.

Yes. Tan sidewalls are important and that is one of the main factors here. But did you read the whole thread? If you did, you could see that lightweight are also important.

Regarding your "specifics". I'm 1,80, 69 kgs, I produce an average of 4w / kg at 1 hour and the bike will weight around 6,2 kg, with a wheelset comprised of Lightbicycle AR46 rims, Extralite SP hubs and Alpina Hyperlite spokes.

Is this sufficient for you to formulate and share your opinion?
Neat.

Anywho - what's the crown situation like on the roads where you reside? That what this'll all be for correct - light weight, supple TPI tires for the roads, yeah? It's great tho have all the boxes checked -- 6.###kg, watts and hectres per litre, recent height and weight... pragmatism matters more importantly though. TT tires and threfore riders are not carving corners, pitching their body weight for and aft and slamming into expansion joints like you and me. It's one and done, in it to win it. Go pro, mount your race day tires for the coffee shop rides and see how much longer you want to ride a bike.
RimClencher wrote:

naavt

by naavt

MarshMellow wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 pm
]

Neat.

Anywho - what's the crown situation like on the roads where you reside? That what this'll all be for correct - light weight, supple TPI tires for the roads, yeah? It's great tho have all the boxes checked -- 6.###kg, watts and hectres per litre, recent height and weight... pragmatism matters more importantly though. TT tires and threfore riders are not carving corners, pitching their body weight for and aft and slamming into expansion joints like you and me. It's one and done, in it to win it. Go pro, mount your race day tires for the coffee shop rides and see how much longer you want to ride a bike.
So for what I've understand of your post your opinion is to ditch the Schwalbes TT for regular daily use.

If that's so, you could tell it with "pragmatism", and ironies aside, I respect and welcome your opinion. Thanks

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

naavt wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:22 pm
MarshMellow wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 pm
]

Neat.

So for what I've understand of your post your opinion is to ditch the Schwalbes TT for regular daily use.

If that's so, you could tell it with "pragmatism", and ironies aside, I respect and welcome your opinion. Thanks
Sorry, I thought I was by myself.
RimClencher wrote:

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Some time ago I wanted to try Vittoria Corsa Speed tlrs as my day to day riding tire.

Then I got one in my hands and discovered just how thin the Corsa Speed carcass is compared to 'ordinary' tyres, especially the tread. Thought better on it and use more sturdy Vittoria tyres on my bikes, like the Corsa G+ and Rubino Pro.

If anyone wants to use TT type tyres for their everyday riding then I wish them luck.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have had no issue with Corsa Speed G2.0s as daily drivers. I manage to ride two rear tires to the carcass with only 2 punctures total, both of which sealed. I even rode them in damp conditions, but didn't tempt fate by trying to rail corners. In the dry, the compound has plenty of grip. The casing has rubber on both inside and outside, making it puncture resistant enough for me. What the tires lack is endurance.

Pro One TTs on the other hand, super fragile. I had another puncture today, this time on my front tire in a race. Didn't realize it until after, but still. That makes 11 times in 7 weeks where Pro One TTs have spurted out Orange Seal.

I also don't trust Veloflex Corsas. The exposed cotton threads cut very easily, and if even one layer of threads get cut, they tire bulges in that section.

Maybe try the Challenge Strada Pro H-TLR. I bought some, but have yet to install them.

naavt

by naavt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 am

Pro One TTs on the other hand, super fragile. I had another puncture today, this time on my front tire in a race. Didn't realize it until after, but still. That makes 11 times in 7 weeks where Pro One TTs have spurted out Orange Seal.

I also don't trust Veloflex Corsas. The exposed cotton threads cut very easily, and if even one layer of threads get cut, they tire bulges in that section.

Maybe try the Challenge Strada Pro H-TLR. I bought some, but have yet to install them.
Thank you for your post.

I'm also considering putting the Pro Ones aside since didn't have many luck with them.

Didn't considered the Challenges until now. Good tip. Thanks. Please post your findings if you try them soon enough

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taladjidi

by taladjidi

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 pm
Veloflex Corsa Race TLR is tan and very light for the tire protection it offers (see BRR). ~220g vr 300g for most others in the same category like GP5k.

Light tubed will be lighter than light tubeless unless you skip the sealant or use heavy tubes.
:beerchug: I've been running them tubeless for almost 1200km now and am very happy with them. I've had one rear puncture (but I was searching for it rolling on a very bad gravel road at 30kph) and plugged it no problem to ride home. I did have to patch the tire later because the plug was slowly sliding out. Otherwise I've been really surprised at how sturdy these tires are given how thin they feel (I also commute with them and the Paris quays are littered with glass shards). Finally the price here in France is really good, like 45€ a tire which for a tubeless tire handmade in Italy is very fair !
I initially tried the Schwalbe Pro One TT's and they didn't last 200k (tubeless with Stan's Sealant)...