PF headset cups delamination or just normal wear?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

I have been doing a minor headset service and noticed some marks on the PF cups. They do not look like cracked or deformed, rather have some marks on them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxYzY1xxaQj3VUjZ8

Should I be concerned? Is there any coating that should be used to prevent further wear? Most of that wear is probably from neglected headset services years ago where grease outside of the bearings became too contaminated and bearings too rusty.

A sidenote - for that protective coating on the outside of bearings I have gone from bearing grease (very poor) to bentonite grease (fair) and to silicone paste (don't know but hopefully even better).
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

DaveS

by DaveS

Hard to tell from the pictures. Just about any grease should be OK outside the bearings. Marine grease should work in the wet. The bearing seats shouldn't wear unless the headset has been run loose. A significant preload on the bearings is required to eliminate movement. It's only too much if the front wheel fails to self-center after a turn.

What's inside the steering tube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darnellrm

by darnellrm

You shouldn't even need grease on the outside of the bearings. The outer race should not turn in the frame during use.

As the previous poster said, don't run your headset loose and there should be no wear.

musiclover

by musiclover

I think I must have had enough preload as I also noticed the expansion plug slipping 1mm upwards. Interesting fact - regardless of the tightness of the top preload plug the handlebar still runs smoothly. Never had it so that it would stop turning freely. Maybe I need to have it even tighter? But then again, have not noticed play there.
What's inside the fork? Don't know, looks a bit messy, like some fine cobwebs inside.

Maddie

by Maddie

musiclover wrote: Interesting fact - regardless of the tightness of the top preload plug the handlebar still runs smoothly. Never had it so that it would stop turning freely.
This sounds as if your expander was moving upwards while you set the preload. Maybe check your expander?

musiclover

by musiclover

Maddie wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:42 am
musiclover wrote: Interesting fact - regardless of the tightness of the top preload plug the handlebar still runs smoothly. Never had it so that it would stop turning freely.
This sounds as if your expander was moving upwards while you set the preload. Maybe check your expander?
Did slip the last time 1 mm upward, however, no play.
This time I could not observe any slipping of the expander.
I only use the recommended expander torque setting (8 Nm).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

But if your handlebars keep rotating no matter how hard you preload the bearings, then there's still something wrong. Maybe your topcap touches the steerer or the expander at a certain moment when you're preloading the bearings.