Seka Exceed RDC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Looking to build a Chinese endurance disk frame for a friend with limited budget. I was thinking an endurance geometry frame with at least 32mm tire clearance that is decent quality and well under $1k. What are the most reputable Chinese frame makers out there you guys recommend?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

isehk

by isehk

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:04 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:41 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:18 pm
You'll look more pro with a longer stem. :-)
At least until one has to add an additional 15mm of spacers to get the correct stack height. :smartass:

15mm is also nothing and only matters to the spacer police.
I am using 40mm....... with SEKA Exceed RDC :mrgreen:

derkv

by derkv

After 10 years of using the same bike, it's time for a new one! I'd like disc brakes and electronic shifting and I have fallen a bit in love with the Seka exceed frame. I like the "allround" combination of it being (at least looking ..) relatively aero while still being quite light.

Are there others on the forum who have had the frame shipped to Europe? If so, how did it go (and how do you like the bike?)?

micky

by micky

derkv

by derkv

Micky, I assume that is meant to be sarcastic. I am however in no was associated with Seka.
Why else would I ask about one of major downsides of purchasing this frame: high shipping costs and possible import taxes.

I think for most of us purchasing a new bike/frame is a choice you at least partially make based on emotions. I don't care about so called heritage, since almost all frames are made in China anyway. Sometimes they are simply catalogue/open mould models and the brand doesn't even do any R&D even though they claim they do. In this case Seka is not claiming to have its own factory and it does not appear to be an open mould frame. I like that and I simply think it looks great. That's why I'm looking for people who shipped the frame to the EU (hidden costs?) and have ridden the frame and did not get paid to do so.

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

For those who say EXCEED is like OSTRO, I want to say that they are actually OEM from the same factory, even the seatpost clamps are the same.

derkv

by derkv

The frames are obviously not the same. What makes you think they are from the same factory?

alanyu

by alanyu

The fact is that:

1, the founder of Seka, who is also the frame designer, is the most experienced Chinese Retul fitter. Thus, the geometry is kinda endurance as he knows what most Chinese people need.

2. the frame and the tube shape is designed based on Specialized Venge, yes, Venge. They may not look similar at the first glance.

3. Seka Exceed is indeed made in the same factory of OSTRO, even using a same craft.

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

derkv wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm
The frames are obviously not the same. What makes you think they are from the same factory?
I only visited this factory in Xiamen last week, and there is a FACTOR office in this factory. Also saw some new stuff from FACTOR...

obviouslyyuu

by obviouslyyuu

ChairmanJiang wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 am
derkv wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm
I only visited this factory in Xiamen last week, and there is a FACTOR office in this factory. Also saw some new stuff from FACTOR...
New frame perhaps?

Ronin416

by Ronin416

derkv wrote:The frames are obviously not the same. What makes you think they are from the same factory?
Not the same, I agree. But made at the same factory - yes.

You realize now you’re talking to two other asian weight weenies that have a lot more insight than the rest of us.

Oh and btw - I too, heard the same thing about them being manufactured as the same factory as Factor from my contact in China. The only difference was it was their factory that made their lower end gravel model the “LS”, but now hearing the Ostro is made there after being witnessed by another member is interesting news.

Also look for the Cam Nichols or other YouTube unboxing videos, the packaging is very similar to Factor - too similar.

Scoop them up while you can before the price goes up. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derkv

by derkv

Ok interesting. Just out of interest, are you willing to share which factory that is ChairmanJiang? I understand there might be an NDA in place so you can't share.

Back when Factor was founded I think they did share where they were having their frames produced, but I can't recall.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

derkv wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:16 am
I don't care about so called heritage, since almost all frames are made in China anyway. Sometimes they are simply catalogue/open mould models and the brand doesn't even do any R&D even though they claim they do.
None of the mainstream brands use open molds.

Gluing layers of carbon into a bicycle shape is easy and cheap. Making a good bike is not.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am

None of the mainstream brands use open molds.

Gluing layers of carbon into a bicycle shape is easy and cheap. Making a good bike is not.

Does Ridley count as mainstream? The Kanzo Adventure is definitely the same frame as a Carbonda CFR696.

derkv

by derkv

BigBoyND, many more smaller main stream brands do, you will be able to find plenty about this on WW.

But let's try to stay on topic (that also goes for me).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com