Seatpost for carbon rails - unusual size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deejayen

by deejayen

I'm thinking about buying a saddle with 7x9mm carbon rails. My seatpost is 26.4mm, and an old Stronglight aero seatpost with single bolt.

Am I correct in thinking that this seatpost won't be compatible with carbon rails?

Are there any seatposts which would work? I thought USE and others made 25mm seatposts which I could use with a shim, but I think they're no longer available, or not very common.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

deejayen wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:23 pm
I'm thinking about buying a saddle with 7x9mm carbon rails. My seatpost is 26.4mm, and an old Stronglight aero seatpost with single bolt.

Am I correct in thinking that this seatpost won't be compatible with carbon rails?
If it's a vertical bolt it'll be fine.

deejayen

by deejayen

Thanks, I think it is.

Do I have to check for anything else, such as edge shape of the clamping area etc?

ms6073

by ms6073

As long as the actual clamps do not have curved 'fingers' intended specifically for round rails, then there should not be any issues. Examples below include the clamp mechanism for the current Enve two bolt seat post which includes clamps for round and oval rails and hopefully it is plain to see that the clamp for round rails is not going conform well with 7x9 or 7x10 oval rails.

Image]
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

deejayen

by deejayen

Thanks very much.

My seatpost is a lot older than that Enve! It's more like this:-

Would you still say it should be okay?

ms6073

by ms6073

I would not think that post would pose any issues for saddles with oval rails. I edited my previous post with an image that is more indicactive of the kind of clamp that I have found to be problematic with oval rails.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

deejayen wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Thanks, I think it is.

Do I have to check for anything else, such as edge shape of the clamping area etc?
No, not really. To a vertical bolt seatpost clamp a 7x9 rail is identical to a 7x7 rail. The rail size specific clamps that ms posted about all have horizontal bolts.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Use a torque wrench and don't exceed the maximum safe clamping force stated on the carbon rails. Ignore the clamping force on the seatpost clamp if higher. You may need to use carbon paste.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deejayen

by deejayen

That's great - thanks very much!