Aftermarket rear derailleur hanger

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Is there any choice of aftermarket/custom rear der hangers?
Or at least, is there any advantage of getting stiffer steel custom one on road bike, like crisper shifting?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

rd hanger must be much weaker than the frame.
Such that, it's the part that break early in crash. Rather than stress and break to the frame.

There are sigeyi direct mount hanger for Shimano RD. And wheelsmfg Rd hangers. All of these are aluminum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I know there´s risk of damaging the frame in crash, but would the stiffer RD hanger improve shifting or not?
I think there is some amount of flex coming from RD during shifting.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

In theory yes, a steel hanger would improve shifting quality under demanding conditions. The only race bike that I know of that comes with a steel hanger is this bike. A member here (Calnago) has one and he once commented on it. This bike is usually made for the pros to race in the cobbled classics. The steel hanger is probably overkill for us mortals.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/16986/

cberg

by cberg

Roadrocket wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 pm
I know there´s risk of damaging the frame in crash, but would the stiffer RD hanger improve shifting or not?
It would improve, yes. The improvement with the Sigeyi hangers comes from them being direct mount meaning that you can remove the B link, making it a stiffer setup while still being able to break during a crash

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

cberg wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am
Roadrocket wrote:
It would improve, yes. The improvement with the Sigeyi hangers comes from them being direct mount meaning that you can remove the B link, making it a stiffer setup while still being able to break during a crash
I just had a look at Sigeyi hangers, but are they compatible with 12S Mechanical Campagnolo? My original hanger is Canyon No.25

cberg

by cberg

Roadrocket wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 am
cberg wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 am
Roadrocket wrote:
I just had a look at Sigeyi hangers, but are they compatible with 12S Mechanical Campagnolo? My original hanger is Canyon No.25
Im not completely sure, but it looks like it from this page:
https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Compon ... derailleur
Removable pivot on the upper body

Perfect functionality with standard drop-out (with pivot) and direct-mount (without pivot)

usr

by usr

Roadrocket wrote:
With mechanical, yes, but you need the elusive RD-SR105 because the Campag B-link has the adjustment screw stop in a different angle.

And I found the Record derailleur looking even more bulky when it's levitating on that almost invisible (compared to the regular No.25+B-link) hanger. Now it's looking like a separate machine hanging on the side of the bike, instead of like a single composite-aluminum-and-steel organism all the way to the NDS hub flange. Yeah, aesthetics are purely subjective, I found the optics to work better once switching to Boras, because the G3 rear wheel picks up some of the "one big machine" vibe, compensating the separation)

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

I found it depends on the hanger that you have to start with.
Some brands have a decent grade of aluminium precisely CNCed to fit the frame and mech.
Some use compressed tin foil.
Guess which ones I tend to replace with wheels manufacturing or similar...

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I have Canyon Aeroad No.25 RD hanger, I have no idea what grade of aluminium they used, but I´ll ask their support.

I´ll rebuild it to SR12s som I am still not sure this hanger is Campagnolo compatible, but they have sold some Campagnolo 11s equipped bikes in past.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Ok, in a bit of a bind here with a frame build that is in progress, but have just rtealised a crucial part is missing !

The frame is a LLlewellyn Discus Colossus that is getting built at the moment, and will be installin a Shimano R800 Di2 Groupset - this was purchased lightly used (some parts still in their box) and having been removed from a BMC frame (I believe).

Anyway, just realised that the "Bracket Axle Unit" - either Part No. Y3FC98010 or Y5ZV98010 are the compatible parts,. and of course are OOS here in Oz. And with Shimano geoblocking and the Pomms BREXIT crap, the places where they are in stock are not able to ship. I've found one option via Fleabay at a stupid price of about A$75 (US$50+).

Also, any idea of the differences between some of the other Shimano parts that are available (e.g. the other 6 or so versions that look almost the same ??)

I've looked at either the Sigeyi or WFG options, but they are specified by Frame model/Manufacturer.

I'm waiting on a reply from Darrel McCulloch (but suspect he's busy working on the frame) and a local supply option here, but wondering if there are any other suggestions ?

:noidea:

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Aftermarket RD hangers are totally a thing, these are easy to manufacture and the demand is always there, given how often these break and limited availability from original manufacturer. As already mentioned above, Sigeyi does fancy Shimano DM hangers. I had great experience with local to me Velofrezer. There are other similar companies too.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

usr wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:56 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
With mechanical, yes, but you need the elusive RD-SR105 because the Campag B-link has the adjustment screw stop in a different angle.

And I found the Record derailleur looking even more bulky when it's levitating on that almost invisible (compared to the regular No.25+B-link) hanger. Now it's looking like a separate machine hanging on the side of the bike, instead of like a single composite-aluminum-and-steel organism all the way to the NDS hub flange. Yeah, aesthetics are purely subjective, I found the optics to work better once switching to Boras, because the G3 rear wheel picks up some of the "one big machine" vibe, compensating the separation)
Interesting! I always assumed that direct mount hangers was something exclusive to Shimano

Do you know if Ekar can be mounted this way too?

usr

by usr

Only mechanical Chorus through Super Record. You can easily see the horizontal link that gets removed for conversion on the derailleur pictures, Ekar (and EPS, and Centaur) don't have that link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

usr wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm
Only mechanical Chorus through Super Record. You can easily see the horizontal link that gets removed for conversion on the derailleur pictures, Ekar (and EPS, and Centaur) don't have that link.
Thank you. Do you also know if the Shimano Road DM hanger design is the same as the one on their 11 speed MTB derailleurs? I can theoretically attach a XTR M9000 RD via Sigeyi's DM hanger to a compatible road frame?