Aftermarket rear derailleur hanger

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:36 pm
usr wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm
Only mechanical Chorus through Super Record. You can easily see the horizontal link that gets removed for conversion on the derailleur pictures, Ekar (and EPS, and Centaur) don't have that link.
Thank you. Do you also know if the Shimano Road DM hanger design is the same as the one on their 11 speed MTB derailleurs? I can theoretically attach a XTR M9000 RD via Sigeyi's DM hanger to a compatible road frame?
If you look at the Shimano Techdocs, specifically the Exploded Views (EV's), there are many different part numbers, and even with the Road derailleurs, there are different parts for Mech & Di2 - what the difference is, no idea. Sometimes it's the material (e.g. the R7000 and R8000 are copmpatible, but one is steel vs 1 is alloy)

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
usr wrote:
Only mechanical Chorus through Super Record. You can easily see the horizontal link that gets removed for conversion on the derailleur pictures, Ekar (and EPS, and Centaur) don't have that link.
Thank you. Do you also know if the Shimano Road DM hanger design is the same as the one on their 11 speed MTB derailleurs? I can theoretically attach a XTR M9000 RD via Sigeyi's DM hanger to a compatible road frame?
If you look at the Shimano Techdocs, specifically the Exploded Views (EV's), there are many different part numbers, and even with the Road derailleurs, there are different parts for Mech & Di2 - what the difference is, no idea. Sometimes it's the material (e.g. the R7000 and R8000 are copmpatible, but one is steel vs 1 is alloy)
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems that M9000 and R9100 are different. I'll have to sit down and do some more digging on the other models later to try and find commonalities.

In the mean time, I shot an email to Wolf Tooth asking if the DM bolt holes are the same on their Goatlink 11 and Roadlink DM. If they are, I think I have a shot at making it all work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

The Shimano Mountain Direct-Mount standard (used on 10s & 11s group) is different than the Road Direct Mount standard (introduced with R9100/R8000)

The most obvious diffrence between the two is the angle of the stop for the b-tension bolt. You can see the difference with these 2 paragon machine works hanger:

Mountain Direct Mount
Road Direct Mount

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

1llum4 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:39 pm
The Shimano Mountain Direct-Mount standard (used on 10s & 11s group) is different than the Road Direct Mount standard (introduced with R9100/R8000)

The most obvious diffrence between the two is the angle of the stop for the b-tension bolt. You can see the difference with these 2 paragon machine works hanger:

Mountain Direct Mount
Road Direct Mount
Bummer. Thank you for the answer though. I guess I'll just go the custom CNC route and make my own frame specific DM RD hanger for Shimano MTB. I thought I could just bolt up a MTB DM RD to a Sigeyi hanger but life's never that easy.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

StiffWeenies wrote:
usr wrote:

The Road DM hanger for Shimano is longer than the MTB hanger. The road hanger is 47.4mm from the center of the skewer bolt to the center of the RD mount bolt. The MTB hanger is 44.7mm Those dimensions are from the hangers produced by Paragon Machine Works to Shimano's specs. I have enclosed a PDF of their hangers.

I also enclosed a Shimano diagram for the dimensions they spec for DM.
Attachments
Shimano   Direct Mount Dimensions.jpg
Paragon Machine Works - Shimano DM hanger geometries.jpg

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:40 am
StiffWeenies wrote:
usr wrote:

The Road DM hanger for Shimano is longer than the MTB hanger. The road hanger is 47.4mm from the center of the skewer bolt to the center of the RD mount bolt. The MTB hanger is 44.7mm Those dimensions are from the hangers produced by Paragon Machine Works to Shimano's specs. I have enclosed a PDF of their hangers.

I also enclosed a Shimano diagram for the dimensions they spec for DM.
Thank you. Your reply gives me more confidence in making it all work out. Surely that 2.7mm difference can be compensated for by adjusting the RD?