I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kookie

by kookie

musiclover wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:28 pm
Since everyone is no conscientious of not leaving the apparel sweaty, do you wash/rinse your cycling shoes after the ride? Do you wash them at all?
Don't wash them but wipe the shoes if there is some dirt/marks on them.

On my Sidi, I use shoe trees.

Usually I just make sure they are "aired out" for a couple of days (not put back into their shoe bag)

musiclover

by musiclover

kookie wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:06 pm
musiclover wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:28 pm
Since everyone is no conscientious of not leaving the apparel sweaty, do you wash/rinse your cycling shoes after the ride? Do you wash them at all?
Don't wash them but wipe the shoes if there is some dirt/marks on them.

On my Sidi, I use shoe trees.

Usually I just make sure they are "aired out" for a couple of days (not put back into their shoe bag)
Why can we not do the same with apparel? Same materials

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Shoes have socks as an insulator.
It's the socks that damp and rot and need to clean often.
Shoes may not get wet and even if it rot, we still have fresh pair of sock to insulate it from our feet.

Do you have an insulation layer between your skin and your apparel? If you wear two layers of jersey. The inner one will need to be clean for sure. The outer one can be used repeatedly if you keep changing the inner one.

bilwit

by bilwit

I had this problem when I rented at a place that only had coin-operated washing/drying machines and rode outside 5-6 times a week. I used to just hand wash them while I took a shower, then put them in front of a simple fan over night.

musiclover

by musiclover

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 am
Shoes have socks as an insulator.
It's the socks that damp and rot and need to clean often.
Shoes may not get wet and even if it rot, we still have fresh pair of sock to insulate it from our feet.

Do you have an insulation layer between your skin and your apparel? If you wear two layers of jersey. The inner one will need to be clean for sure. The outer one can be used repeatedly if you keep changing the inner one.
Partially agree with this. I think sweat is less dangerous to fabrics when it has no direct contact with skin. Will be still drenched in sweat though.
My backpack had a net at the back (osprey) it will get so sweaty that if I would scratch that net salt will just fall out from it and form a pile on the floor. Obviously, I do not ride topless.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Washing immediately is a bit OCD, IMO. There are plenty of other clothes you'd leave dirty without washing for several days and it's just fine. If you're anxious with the idea of leaving your expensive bibshorts dirty for days, do a quick cold water rinse after the ride and hang dry. Wash with soap days later when you have the time.

Also, soaking for a day, or even two, is totally overkill (even the redwhite.cc article doesn't recommend longer than a 15-minutes soak). Worse, that long a soak may even weaken the fabric in the long run.

cjm

by cjm

I agree I leave other normal clothes dirty before washing, but pretty much none of those have been or are going to be rubbing directly against my sweaty arse for 2/5/10 hours.
Wearing good bibs is all about comfort and even an average priced set of bibs is significantly more expensive than a pair of socks/pants/t-shirt so it would be slight odd not to look after them. It's no more effort to fling them straight into the washing machine for a rinse/wash than fling then into a washing basket?

musiclover

by musiclover

cjm wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 am
I agree I leave other normal clothes dirty before washing, but pretty much none of those have been or are going to be rubbing directly against my sweaty arse for 2/5/10 hours.
Wearing good bibs is all about comfort and even an average priced set of bibs is significantly more expensive than a pair of socks/pants/t-shirt so it would be slight odd not to look after them. It's no more effort to fling them straight into the washing machine for a rinse/wash than fling then into a washing basket?
I don't know which part of the world you live, but in Australia water and electricity is pretty expensive (I intentionally leave ecological concerns behind) washing one set seems wasteful (as I said before). So much so that it may even be cheaper to buy new sets of bibs more often. But it's very easy to throw it into a washing machine, I am not saying it is extra work.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

cjm wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:29 am
I'm pretty sure most don't wash their underwear right after each use.

There's a degree of difference between not looking after your expensive bibs and washing them a few days after a ride.

Agreed, there is no extra effort if you machine-wash. But if you hand-wash, then maybe you don't feel doing it right after your ride.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Wash kit in delicate garment washing bags. This keeps the straps on bib shorts getting tangled and stretched.