I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

smokva

by smokva

I have three full sets of summer kits (bibs, jereseys, socks, gloves) which I rotate. Also I have a lot of retired stuff that is still wearable but not used often, so I'm good to go for a whole weak during summer without washing.
When we collect at home enough of sports (syntehtics) clothes then we wash all together in machine. Usually it doesn't take long since other members of the family also contribute with dirty sports clothes, so I don't need to wash manually my expensive Assos thingies.

From my experience I need at least 3 full sets, not so much for riding when I'm home but when we go somewhere for a trip it's handy to have few sets so I don't need to wash manually in the sink and dry overnight. Also, I do (or I used to do) one week tourings, so 3 sets were minimum.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

musiclover wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am
Thanks, but I think gentle is a bit rough for bibs.
it's not.
I've been using a fairly standard Cylinda machine for the last 15+ years, and the only damage that's been done to lycra is when someone has chucked velcro in there :evil: .
The only thing I don't wash is the really lightweight items with the massive mesh panels. But most of them are now ripped and/or beyond use anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

"Are you like the devil on the shoulder? Whispering "buy more"... If I was to buy another pair of bibs (do not need extra jerceys) it was hard to decide. Bibs market is very confusing.

Yeah mostly commuting, I train with running and boxing if I can. Commute to work is 20 k one way."

Just a suggestion. Maybe stick to your music, it's free.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

cjm

by cjm

You seem to be over thinking it? If you have two set of kit wash one set each night and the other has then had the full next day to dry?

I'd not leave/save up sweaty bibs for 3-4 days before washing!

When I'm commuting I wash my bibs/kit every evening in the machine and they are dry and ready for the morning, I do have several pairs so if they aren't dry for some reason I can always grab a fresh pair. I do change the wash program based of how dirty/sweaty the ride has been.

I did do LEJOG with two pairs of bibs and washed them in the shower/bath/basin, then dried in a rolled towel.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Depend on how soon can I wash,
If I ride on turbo trainer in a long continuous 1-3 hours then take bib short off and wash immediately without giving a chance for sweat to dry and bacteria to grow, I can get away hand washing it with just water for 1-2 times. Then, 3rd time of hand washing require detergent. Just do it while showering after the ride.
I use two sets of cloth in rotation, for indoor trainer which I do once a day. So that each cloth have a chance to fully dry before I use it next time.
In your case, you'd need at least 4 cloth to rotate since you train in the morning and evening. One set of apperel for two ride without at least water rinse in between is a plain no for me. It's a receipe for skin problem.

If I ride outside and/or I cannot wash the cloth immediately after the finish, then it require a full machine wash with detergent. But before I put it into the basket, I still water rinse it first to limit the amount of bacterial growth while it sit in the basket.
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

20km each way isn't too far, you could get away with doing it in cheap kit from Decathlon, Aliexpress, Planet X, etc.
Also means that you could save them up for a few days before doing a full wash as frankly, it's kit you don't care about so much.

For the winters, merino tops are great as they're self cleaning and don't hold onto odours meaning they don't need to be washed daily.

Keep the expensive, nice stuff for the longer rides and look after it properly.

AJS914

by AJS914

musiclover wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am
Thanks, but I think gentle is a bit rough for bibs. I do handwash. I'd rather wash normal cotton on handwash which I also do sometimes.
Get some zip up laundry bags for delicates. I put all my kit in laundry bags and then it gets washed with our regular clothes.

AndySti

by AndySti

My commute today was 30km and will be 50km for the way home. I'm just wearing the same bibs. I clean myself with alcohol when I get to work and hang up my shorts to dry. With an only 20km commute just wear the same bibs.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am
Here's a washing guide from redwhite, a local brand; it's quite a nice read on the topic. https://www.redwhite.cc/blogs/bibshort- ... g-bibshort

The general advice is to let the kit soaked in soap water as soon as possible after the ride. I sometimes leave the kit soaked for a day or even two, but actually handwashing is a 5 minute affair for me after that.
Wow there is some good advice here I had no ide, thx for the link.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

GregR

by GregR

Personally I wash the kit right after every ride. In season I throw all my wash in the machine (except towels) and then everything gets washed at once. I wash on cold, "active wear" setting. The machine is a front load, low water usage version. In general there are enough clothes to justify running the wash, but it's a fairly small machine that meters the water according to how much clothing is in the machine.

musiclover

by musiclover

HappyGuy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:57 pm
Just a suggestion. Maybe stick to your music, it's free.
You have no idea, my friend. I just bought HEDD Audio Type 2 speakers for $3000.

musiclover

by musiclover

cjm wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 pm
I'd not leave/save up sweaty bibs for 3-4 days before washing!
That seems to be a pretty common idea. My understanding is: you can not store a sweaty wet kit in a knot so that it stays sweaty and wet for long. But, if you hang it out to dry in fresh air and maybe a bit of sun immediately after the ride and then store completely dry until the wash - it should work fine. I am not saying that it is bad to rinse or hand wash immediately, just saying that it will work ok like that as well.

fsp15923

by fsp15923

I jump into the shower with top and bib, wash them while in the shower..saves time and money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

musiclover

by musiclover

fsp15923 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:09 am
I jump into the shower with top and bib, wash them while in the shower..saves time and money.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Umm, not really, you just spend the water and time you could have used for washing in the sink in the shower :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

Since everyone is no conscientious of not leaving the apparel sweaty, do you wash/rinse your cycling shoes after the ride? Do you wash them at all?