Best Lightweight 165mm Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

I have a Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod which I've built up into the low 5.x kg.

The cranks are Cannondale SISL2 in 172.5mm with a left only 4iiii power meter (+9g) and with the spider chainrings in 53/39.

I'd like to move to a 165mm crankset and 52/36 rings. Cannondale make 165mm arms but not in SISL2, so they are heavier by approx 37g per arm or 74g in total. (The SISL2 172.5mm + bolt is 139g, and the 165mm arm is 176g with the bolt pre-installed). I'd save maybe 7g on the chainrings, so 67g heavier total.

What would be the best option to maintain a lightweight build? Should I just eat the 67g and use the Cannondate 165mm + install a 4iiii there + use spider rings, or is there a better/lighter option? FWIW I do really like the spidering look on this bike.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

there are still some BB30 version of SRAM red 11/10 speed chainset around. take the preload ring off and use wavy washer. that should fit. I did it with a CAAD 12. for lightest combo, use carbon-ti chain rings if you don't mind giving up abit of shifting smoothness.

Other choice would be aldhu carbon (to use 30mm spindle and one piece chainring, not use spider+separate chainring).

Depends if you mind mixing bands, campagnolo super record chainset is also quite light (the specified weight is including bearings so overall package is still one of the lighter ones)

There is also a THM 165mm version that hidden as part of the SRM range, made to order and hugely expensive tho.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

Luften wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 pm
I have a Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod which I've built up into the low 5.x kg.

The cranks are Cannondale SISL2 in 172.5mm with a left only 4iiii power meter (+9g) and with the spider chainrings in 53/39.

I'd like to move to a 165mm crankset and 52/36 rings. Cannondale make 165mm arms but not in SISL2, so they are heavier by approx 37g per arm or 74g in total. (The SISL2 172.5mm + bolt is 139g, and the 165mm arm is 176g with the bolt pre-installed). I'd save maybe 7g on the chainrings, so 67g heavier total.

What would be the best option to maintain a lightweight build? Should I just eat the 67g and use the Cannondate 165mm + install a 4iiii there + use spider rings, or is there a better/lighter option? FWIW I do really like the spidering look on this bike.
Cannondale did make SISL2 arms in 165mm. I bought the whole crankset back in 2017 (for around 800 bucks which was 30% of the list or something close to that) from Incycle I think and put in on my old SS Hi Mod (former edition rim).I also have a set on my Blackinc Scalpel. They are very hard to find however and I don't think they have done a production run for a long time. I asked their head of sales recently whether they were planning to continue the SISL crankset series and he told me he thought so as many long-time customers are big fans. I went through the same iterations recently and decided to grab an SISL crankset for my brother so I could use the 4iii option. The closest thing I could find was Rotor's carbon Aldhu but to do this with power it would require getting the inspider power meter which added a large amount of cost (though in fairness not much more totally than the SISL2 + 4iii option).
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Luften

by Luften

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:37 am
there are still some BB30 version of SRAM red 11/10 speed chainset around. take the preload ring off and use wavy washer. that should fit. I did it with a CAAD 12. for lightest combo, use carbon-ti chain rings if you don't mind giving up abit of shifting smoothness.

Other choice would be aldhu carbon (to use 30mm spindle and one piece chainring, not use spider+separate chainring).

Depends if you mind mixing bands, campagnolo super record chainset is also quite light (the specified weight is including bearings so overall package is still one of the lighter ones)

There is also a THM 165mm version that hidden as part of the SRM range, made to order and hugely expensive tho.
Wow that THM/SRM looks terrible! I don't think my OCD would survive with that on my bike. Aside from the hack carbon work, having the arm continue longer past the pedal spindle looks off as well.

Closest viable option would be the rotor, but I prefer the look of the Cannondale + Spider ring for the bike so I think I'll stick with it in the end.

Luften

by Luften

sigma wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Cannondale did make SISL2 arms in 165mm. I bought the whole crankset back in 2017 (for around 800 bucks which was 30% of the list or something close to that) from Incycle I think and put in on my old SS Hi Mod (former edition rim).I also have a set on my Blackinc Scalpel. They are very hard to find however and I don't think they have done a production run for a long time. I asked their head of sales recently whether they were planning to continue the SISL crankset series and he told me he thought so as many long-time customers are big fans. I went through the same iterations recently and decided to grab an SISL crankset for my brother so I could use the 4iii option. The closest thing I could find was Rotor's carbon Aldhu but to do this with power it would require getting the inspider power meter which added a large amount of cost (though in fairness not much more totally than the SISL2 + 4iii option).
Interesting! I was told it was 170-175mm only! Would you be able to post a pic?

I'll see if I can track one down, that would be amazing if so. Or if you want to sell one of yours please PM me.

nunokas

by nunokas

And what's the explanation for the absence of right hallowgram cranks?
I can find stock in two or three suppliers for the left crank in 170mm but nothing on the right one! :noidea:

sigma

by sigma

nunokas wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:28 pm
I can find stock in two or three suppliers for the left crank in 170mm but nothing on the right one! :noidea:
There were some left side power meter offerings which allowed people to sell those online....
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

nunokas

by nunokas

sigma wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:12 pm
nunokas wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:28 pm
There were some left side power meter offerings which allowed people to sell those online....
That could explain but I saw some stock on Merlin, Cannondale spares.com, sigma...

sigma

by sigma

Luften wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:11 pm
sigma wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Interesting! I was told it was 170-175mm only! Would you be able to post a pic?

I'll see if I can track one down, that would be amazing if so. Or if you want to sell one of yours please PM me.
I found the orignal box, so I will post a pic of that tonight (the bikes are at my other place). I spoke to my contact at Cannondale - the 165mm line was originally supplied on the sizes anticipated for the women's bikes, so it indeed was made with much less production than the other sizes for this reason.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

For reference, i just changed mine to 167.5mm bb30 RED with Extralite OctaRamp 50/34:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com