Feedback on SRAM RED XG-1190 11-SPEED running with shimano

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lukus

by Lukus

BDoP update. Changed the rear QR skewer as the guy who did the build questioned if it was sitting well. The shifting is much improved.

I had something similar with caad12 not getting on with a dt Swiss skewer, it meant I couldn’t get the full gear range. I forgot this fix! Anyway worth considering as one of the many variables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHG01

by DHG01

DHG01 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 am
choochoo46 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:26 am
Not to hijack the thread, but I have the reverse... a full Red 22 mechanical groupset and an Ultegra chain. It's my first SRAM groupset whereas all my other bikes have been 105 or Ultegra. I haven't been able to fully dial in the indexing. Shifting is slower vs. my Ultegra bike and is noisier on the largest cogs.

Anyone have any experience with that combo?

I'm using an Ultegra chain because I had an extra already and from the reviews I've read seems to be the best price / weight / durability combo. And chains are expensive now!
Yes. 2 bikes with Red, both mechanical, one disc the other rim. Both gravel bikes. One has an Ultegra 11-34 cassette (just came back from a ride), the other with ZTTO 11-34 alloy. They both shift fine; the ZTTO has, surprisingly, improved with time.

The 11-32 XG 1190 that came with one of the group sets is on a road wheel that either goes on Shimano 9000 or 9100 - the OPs case. I think it shifts fine, perhaps a bit slower than the DA 11-30 that I alternate with.

Take back my comment. For some time, I have not been able to get the low sprocket on the Sram 11-32 engaged with a Shimano transmission. I took it to the mechanic, and there is not much he can do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:51 pm
I've been running an XG1190 on an otherwise Shimano drivetrain for about a year now. No issues with any gear except the 11t. Sounds a little noisier than the Shimano cassette. Maybe slightly more finicky to get the initial set up and indexing, but not by much. And no shifting issues. The 11t just doesn't sound right. I've messed with the limit screw, the hanger isn't bent (bought a new one to make sure), did the Di2 indexing adjustments. All the other gears are great, just a grinding noise on the 11t, similar to a cross-chaining sound. I live with it as I'm not using the 11t very often. Would buy again for sure, it was 100g lighter than my previous cassette.
I have the same problem! new 1190 sram 11-25 and shimano chain. Tomorrow I'll try to change the chain to xx1 or red22, maybe then it will stop rubbing on the 12th star ..
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

Finn

by Finn

Tried XG-1190 cassette on full DA mechanical and DI2 Ultegra drivetrains but went back to Shimano with same reason as above. Performance not on desired level, works much better even with 105 cassette .

iamraymond

by iamraymond

In my experience, XG-1190 shifts fine with Shimano chains and a Di2 RD. I would get the rare hesitation on some upshifts, but overall the shifting was similar to Shimano cassettes just a bit slower.

But with mechanical shifting is a completely different story. No matter what I tried, I could not get the cassette to shift properly. The upshifts for the smaller cogs were particularly bad. Swapping to a Shimano or even a third party cassette like SROAD was 1000 times better.

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:54 pm
In my experience, XG-1190 shifts fine with Shimano chains and a Di2 RD. I would get the rare hesitation on some upshifts, but overall the shifting was similar to Shimano cassettes just a bit slower.

But with mechanical shifting is a completely different story. No matter what I tried, I could not get the cassette to shift properly. The upshifts for the smaller cogs were particularly bad. Swapping to a Shimano or even a third party cassette like SROAD was 1000 times better.
I have no problems with shifting (force22+1190+shimano chain), but on the 11th cog, an extraneous sound is heard, as if the chain is rubbing against the 12th cog and trying to switch ..
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

1190 works well with Shimano. Sram is more noisy and 11 tooth feels a bit more noisy even. I would guess AXS 10 tooth feels way worse!
Personally i feel Sram is more dependent of being clean and well lubed than Shimano. Echo cassettes as an example, is a bit more hesitant than 1190. It's supposedly better with Shimano (atleast that's what they told me).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.