New 12 speed shimano cassette on etap axs.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aloter

by aloter

Hi, is possible to use the new shimano 12 speed cassettes on the sram axs 12 speed?
Thank you
Last edited by aloter on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

A little premature, unless you know of someone who has one to measure. The sprocket spacing is bound to be close, just like Campy 12 and SRAM axs 12. The Shimano chain is the widest of the three. I've had no problem using the axs chain with Campy cassettes. I've got a shimano 12 speed XT chain on one of my axs bikes. Being a little wider, it may be a bit tougher to set up and it's not any quieter than an axs chain. Of course it makes sense to try the matching shimano chain, but if sprocket spacing differs by much, the narrower axs chain might be a better choice.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

cerro

by cerro

DaveS wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 pm
A little premature, unless you know of someone who has one to measure. The sprocket spacing is bound to be close, just like Campy 12 and SRAM axs 12. The Shimano chain is the widest of the three. I've had no problem using the axs chain with Campy cassettes. I've got a shimano 12 speed XT chain on one of my axs bikes. Being a little wider, it may be a bit tougher to set up and it's not any quieter than an axs chain. Of course it makes sense to try the matching shimano chain, but if sprocket spacing differs by much, the narrower axs chain might be a better choice.
You missed that the Sram Flattop chain got different sized rollers...

DaveS

by DaveS

cerro wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 pm
DaveS wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 pm
You missed that the Sram Flattop chain got different sized rollers...
I've explained that difference many times on this forum. People think that means incompatibility with other cranks, RDs or cassettes, but it doesn't. If anything it shows that standard chains aren't compatible with axs cassettes, but not the other way around. The axs chain follows the ANSI #40 specification and standard chains are #41.

https://www.usarollerchain.com/roller-c ... s/4869.htm