Juin Tech GT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

velov

by velov

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I'm keen to try a set. Only issue might be the rear caliper not fitting because of the tight rear triangle, frame depending of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I've got some Juin Tech GT-F's on a Bowman Palace 3 that I wanted to build up as cheaply as possible, I had an Ultegra rim brake groupset lying around and the componant shortage also led me down this route.

I'd second nearly everything Mr.Gib said in his review of them. The brakes are excellent and I'm really pleased with them, also happy that it's a lighter set up and I get to use cable shifters which I prefer the shape of to hydro ones.
Perfomrance wise there isn't really any difference to my Shimano full hydraulic braking systems.

I used TRP compressionless cables, mine are routed through the handlebars which are Prime Primavera ones and then down the downtube. The cables on the Palace come out before the BB which meant that I didn't have any issues with having a nice, clean run to the brake caliper with no sharp bends.
No issues with the caliper fitting at the rear, the Palace has regular seatstays and not dropped ones which may help a bit? I ride a 56 frame.

I'd agree that the stock pads are fine and there's no need to upgrade them, I also got a extra set!

I also had exactly the same issue as Mr.Gib with the rear caliper and the lack of clearance. I managed to get it centred dead on and there was no rubbing but it took a while to get there. It does mean that any tiny bit of dirt that gets picked up by the rotor causes some noise. That's a really good tip regarding the bleed port and I may give it a go.

Really pleased as I got the frameset for £300 from a Bowman clearance sale (living half a mile away from their HQ helps!), mainly moved parts over that I already had and now have a really fast and fun bike which didn't cost me much at all.

Weasel

by Weasel

velov wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:37 am
Thanks for the comprehensive review. I'm keen to try a set. Only issue might be the rear caliper not fitting because of the tight rear triangle, frame depending of course.
I had similar on my Tarmac SL7. Fortunately the upper body of the caliper sat just behind the seatstay, and I cut down the adjuster screw a few mm, and glued on a shorter knurled nut.
Attachments
21C709D1-2759-40F3-952B-61BD411131F6.jpeg

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Weasel wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
velov wrote:
I had similar on my Tarmac SL7. Fortunately the upper body of the caliper sat just behind the seatstay, and I cut down the adjuster screw a few mm, and glued on a shorter knurled nut.
The clearance issues are only there if you try to run 140mm rotors on a frame with dropped seatstays right? I believe running them with 160mm rotors via rear adapter should have no such issues

Weasel

by Weasel

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:42 pm
Weasel wrote:
velov wrote:
The clearance issues are only there if you try to run 140mm rotors on a frame with dropped seatstays right? I believe running them with 160mm rotors via rear adapter should have no such issues
No - they recommend 160mm rotor only, which is what I have on mine. The caliper fits direct to the frame without an adapter for a 160mm rotor.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Weasel wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:48 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:
velov wrote:
No - they recommend 160mm rotor only, which is what I have on mine. The caliper fits direct to the frame without an adapter for a 160mm rotor.
Ah, I was under the impression that the SL7's chainstay flatmount holes were sized for 140mm flush and 160mm with adapter.

DaveS

by DaveS

The rear triangle on my Cinelli superstar frames works particularly well with the GT calipers. I can have a 15-20mm gap between the adjustment knob and the frame. It is tricky to get the cable housing into the caliper, but it's doable, with housing routed to the inside of the chain stay. I found it necessary to center the calipers before inserting the housing into the caliper. Otherwise, the force from the housing made it impossible to get the calipers aligned with the rotors. The braking force required at the levers should be lowest with Campy or SRAM levers. I use Galfer standard pads that are much better than the stock pads. Campy rotors work well.

Weasel

by Weasel

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Weasel wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:

Ah, I was under the impression that the SL7's chainstay flatmount holes were sized for 140mm flush and 160mm with adapter.
I think that might be the case with other calipers, but the Juin Tech is specifically designed to suit a 160mm rotor.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:

It's the rear caliper itself which is only made for a 160mm rotor, nothing to do with the frame. With other calipers you have the option of running a 140mm or a 160mm rotor with an adaptor. It's impossible to use a 140mm at the back with these calipers.

Interestingly the front caliper does use an adaptor to use with a 160mm rotor which means that you could run a 140mm at the front and 160mm at the back but that strikes me as a very bad idea.

Weasel

by Weasel

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:

It's the rear caliper itself which is only made for a 160mm rotor, nothing to do with the frame. With other calipers you have the option of running a 140mm or a 160mm rotor with an adaptor. It's impossible to use a 140mm at the back with these calipers.

Interestingly the front caliper does use an adaptor to use with a 160mm rotor which means that you could run a 140mm at the front and 160mm at the back but that strikes me as a very bad idea.
You need an adapter of some sort though because of the opposite direction of attaching the caliper on the fork. And on this one - I'm pretty sure if you flip the adapter the other way, it would then work with a 180mm rotor.
Attachments
7C115C49-8449-4452-80A8-77A9A38BEE04.jpeg

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Weasel wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:

Thank you. I suppose it functions like Hope's RX4+ Flat Mount +20 on page 2? I'm now wondering if I can get these Juin callipers to work with Merida's disc coolers on the new Scultura V and Reacto IV. That Juin proprietary front adaptor may pose some problems as I believe another poster here said that they couldn't get it to mount on their Aethos fork.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It was supposed to rain today so out I went to test the GT's in the rain. Sun came out. :noidea: So wet testing will have to wait.

My original impressions were confirmed today. I think the one weakness is that under really hard braking they are just not as progressive as hydro. I can squeeze the levers pretty hard during the last few meters when finally coming to a stop from a high speed without over-braking. I can't recall ever squeezing hydro's that hard. Perhaps it's brake fade, but it still feels like I can throw myself over the bars if I overdo it. So on balance still excellent performance. And lighter applications still provide ample braking force, perhaps more than expected when compared to the harder efforts.

Bottom line for me is if you have a nice smooth route for your cables/hoses, these brakes are darn good.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I have both post & flat mount GTs. Absolutely love them for road & gravel.
TBH have not tried them on my XC, leaving that for full hydro.

I mod them with all ti bolts, and have never had any problems.

If I had a gripe, it would be they come stock without a barrel adjuster at cable entry.
So I tap mine with an M6, and screw in an adjuster & nut.

IMO the stock pads are the absolute best. I've tried cheapos, Marwi, Swisstop, Galfer, and others.
Always coming back to the stock formula with the green plates. Problem is, you can't find them aftermarket.

Awaiting a new pair with special anodizing. Other makers will brand these as their own, like Origin8 & Yokozuna.

I give em 3 thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am
If I had a gripe, it would be they come stock without a barrel adjuster at cable entry.
So I tap mine with an M6, and screw in an adjuster & nut.
Very cool that you are able to build in a cable adjuster. Even if I had the skills and tools, I'd be afraid of shortening the space for the housing to bend between the frame and the caliper. Are you not satisfied with the adjuster knob arrangment? You want to be able to take up more cable slack? I have always managed to get exactly the free stroke and lever position I prefer with the standard setup. I do make a point of really pulling the cable super tight before I clamp it.
UpFromOne wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:48 am
IMO the stock pads are the absolute best. I've tried cheapos, Marwi, Swisstop, Galfer, and others.
Always coming back to the stock formula with the green plates. Problem is, you can't find them aftermarket.
Is there no way we can sort this out? Juin Tech is buying these pads from someone. Maybe the could just buy more and sell a few to us customers. What about Edge Sports UK? They should be able to make this happen.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

This thread is great and helped to eliminate the uneasiness in my stomach when I decided last month to ditch my Ultegra hydro for these brakes and SRAM 1x. I pulled the trigger a few days ago for the purple anodized brakes to go on my No.22 Drifter. Looking at the housing exit, I think I should get a nice line from CS to brake.

I'm happy to hear the good reports about the pads. Echoing Mr Gib, I feel like the company would want to find a way to make them available. Has anyone tried reaching out to them to inquire/suggest?