Juin Tech GT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

takolino

by takolino

Interesting looking brakes. Kind of pricey for mechanical. I can’t imagine these being better although cable position is nice. Mech brakes need constant pad wear adjustments ime so proceed with that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

takolino wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:27 pm
Interesting looking brakes. Kind of pricey for mechanical. I can’t imagine these being better although cable position is nice. Mech brakes need constant pad wear adjustments ime so proceed with that in mind.

The pistons continue to come out further towards the rotor, like full hydros, unlike plain cable disc calipers. The adjustment is more for fine tuning brake lever travel.

takolino

by takolino

I think these are plain cable disc calipers. The only difference is the perpendicular cam orientation which is novel. Both inner and outer pads need adjustment, just like BB7s. These don’t appeal to me mainly because of the adjustment. They might perform well but I’m lazy.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

An update. I've now transferred my Juin Tech GT-F's to an externally routed bike and got SwissStop pads for the front caliper. Braking is now on a par with my hydraulic set ups and noticeably better than on the previous bike they were fitted to that had internal routing in the frame and bars. Rotors are the same Shimano XT ones I used previously with these calipers.

Also there's no rubbing at the rear which there was previously due to the tight clearences. I think these brakes can be very sensitive to the brake mounts being faced correctly which they are on the new bike.

It's quite a niche but if you have a disc brake frame with external routing then these brakes could well be the best way forward. It certainly offers a lightweight solution and I prefer cable shifters to hydraulic ones.

DaveS

by DaveS

istigatrice wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:40 am
Alright, I know this is the Juin Tech thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone's been able to compare these to the Growtac equal (mechanical) disc brakes on Velo Orange?
The growtac calipers only have one piston that moves, so the opposing pad would need regular readjustment. That would make them quite inferior to a 4 piston hydraulic caliper that only needs an occasional tweak on the cable tension knob.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

My had been forgiving about facing but only after I installed new pads and rotors. I took the rotors and pads from another fork that had bedded and it kept creeping to one side when going in the new bike

huzenhagen

by huzenhagen

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm
An update. I've now transferred my Juin Tech GT-F's to an externally routed bike and got SwissStop pads for the front caliper. Braking is now on a par with my hydraulic set ups and noticeably better than on the previous bike they were fitted to that had internal routing in the frame and bars. Rotors are the same Shimano XT ones I used previously with these calipers.

Also there's no rubbing at the rear which there was previously due to the tight clearences. I think these brakes can be very sensitive to the brake mounts being faced correctly which they are on the new bike.

It's quite a niche but if you have a disc brake frame with external routing then these brakes could well be the best way forward. It certainly offers a lightweight solution and I prefer cable shifters to hydraulic ones.
Which pads did you go for? The DiscRS 27?

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

huzenhagen wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:51 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm

Which pads did you go for? The DiscRS 27?
Yep, these ones to be exact:

https://www.swissstop.ch/brakepads/disc ... 7/organic/

I'd also add that these appear to be a lot quieter as well when it comes to braking than the stock pads that came with the calipers.

Mortecouille

by Mortecouille

How do these brakes behave on long descents of cols? There is so little brake fluid, no problem with caliper heating and loss of performance?
Sorry for my english

DaveS

by DaveS

Every descent is different. Some apparently require enough braking to give pro cyclists problems, even with full hydraulic systems.

You're mistaken if you think that having a long hose filled with mineral oil is where the heat is disapated.

The Juin-Tech calipers are a closed system, so too much heat could be a problem. Particularly if the rider can't take the corners at a decent speed. I ride various Colorado mountains, but I've never found one that requires extensive braking on the descent.

I use 180mm rotors on the front and 160mm on the back. 140mm can't be used with these calipers. It helps to weigh 61kg.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

If you hear a lot of brake rub upon heating up it may be time to stop and let it take a brake. Also you put your hand on the caliper if it's more than warm you probably want to let it cool down. If you are using resin pads then you would probably feel some fading before anything else.

I can hear a little ringing coming out of corners during prolonged descent.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

A quick update on my Juin Tech GT brakes. A couple weeks ago, I replaced the MTX red pads on my front caliper (I originally used the MTX red to replace the original stock generic green pads the brakes came with, because the MTX brakes promised dead silent braking). If you recall, my experience was that both the MTX red and the stock green pads were pretty much silent in the dry, but had differing levels and duration of noise in the wet. The original greens squeal with even a little moisture, and take a long time to heat/clear the water until they don't squeal, but aren't terribly loud when they do squeal. The MTX reds seem a bit more resistant to light moisture (foggy/misty mornings, or dripping sweat don't usually invoke noise), but when they do get wet, they have a very loud "HONK!" before clearing and becoming silent again. Fortunately, the MTX reds seem to clear or heat up in the wet much faster than the original green pads, so after that initial, super obnoxious HONK!, they are pretty quiet, even in the rain, until I've not used the brakes for a little bit.

In any event, I wasn't really happy with either of the MTX red or the original stock green pads. So, I decided to try the Swissstop Disc 27 RS pads to see if they are any better. In short, they are! Quiet in the dry AND quiet in the wet! Nothing else about the setup changed -- didn't readjust the caliper mountings, and used the same discs (Shimano Ultegra/XT MT800 rotors), just wiping them down with alcohol. Very pleased with the Swissstop pads so far, and if anyone else is having issues with noisy braking in the wet, I highly recommend them, based on my experience.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

recently launched a couple weeks ago in Taipei

Juin GTP-6 with 6 pistons in post mount, no word yet on the GTF-6 flat mount version

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Nice that they are continuing to innovate - always a good sign. BUT, I wonder about the added complication and the risk of malfunction that may pose. There must be a big payoff in performance to make it a reasonable value proposition.

Regarding my continuing experience with GT-F, I have been quite satisfied. A change to Galfer standard pads proved to be a significant upgrade. Resulted in my quietest disc system. Silent in the dry and often (but not always) silent in the wet. It will howl if it is really soaking. Less noise than my Dura Ace hydro in most situations. Braking was also better with Galfer then either the stock pads or Jagwire semi-metalic. Durability of Galfer is somewhere between the other two. Highly recommended.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matcav

by matcav

StiffWeenies wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:57 pm
recently launched a couple weeks ago in Taipei

Juin GTP-6 with 6 pistons in post mount, no word yet on the GTF-6 flat mount version
Looks quite MTB-oriented rather than road/gravel - given also the post-mount standard.