Juin Tech GT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

The atheos front mount creates the same problem as using a 160/140 adapter to use a 180mm rotor. A 5mm hex bolt and thin washer is used at the top. The clearance between the caliper and adapter may only be 4mm, so the hex head must be ground thinner and a midget wrench ground thinner to tighten the bolt.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:15 am
And speaking of riding in the wet... I logged some serious miles in downpours and/or gritty messy conditions. The takeaway was that it took about 15 hours of wet conditions with only occasional braking to obliterate the brake pads. In one 3 hour stretch I consumed 50% of my rear brake pad - and I barely used the rear brake - maybe 5 or 6 decent applications at most. I probably split my braking 75% front, 25% rear and the front has lasted about as long despite the much greater use. It makes sense that the rear will suffer most as it is blasted with a constant stream of shit from a wet road. It's like the Paris Roubaix fiasco - ride in messy conditions and you can wear out resin pads without even using them, I have put a semi-metallic pad on the rear and will see how that goes.
I was wondering if anyone else had experience with these brakes/pads in the wet. I purchased these brakes for a new project -- going disc for the first time! -- because I had a perfectly good 9100 mechanical Dura Ace group and did not want to plump the high costs for a full hydraulic setup. Part of the reason for going disc is that many of my rides are comprised of a lot of relatively short, but punchy hills that are very hard on my rims, especially because I'm often riding in relatively wet conditions (I burned through a set of Eurus rims in about a year -- just shy of 6,000 miles).

Is the big-time squealing in the wet from these brakes due primarily to the stock pads, or is there something inherent to the design that causes the pads to be noisy in the rain? Have you had success in reducing the noise in the wet with other brands/types of pads? I note that the Swissstop yellows seem virtually impossible to procure right now, so there's that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I don't have experience with them in the wet but you can pretty much adjust the cable for a much larger clearance than real hydraulic brakes, this should cut down on any squealing and muddy pad wear at the expense of needing more lever travel. You would then easily put it back when it is dry with the adjustment knob.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 pm
Is the big-time squealing in the wet from these brakes due primarily to the stock pads, or is there something inherent to the design that causes the pads to be noisy in the rain? Have you had success in reducing the noise in the wet with other brands/types of pads? I note that the Swissstop yellows seem virtually impossible to procure right now, so there's that.
The pad could be part of it, but it also may be the design, and don't forget that the bike frame can also have an influence. A regular riding buddy has Shimano Ultegra hydro and his brakes are quieter in some situations, like when roads are medium wet. When roads are super wet or it's actually raining, then both our bikes are loud. They do heat up, dry off, and go silent if you are doing a lot of braking. The problem of course is that other than serious descending, when do you do a lot of braking? Most rides in the winter involve terrain that limits braking to very occasional - plenty of time for water and grime to build up. On the plus side, as noted you can open calipers up if you don't mind a little more lever travel, and avoid the constant rubbing that all hydro calipers suffer in grimy conditions. This is when my bike is quieter than my buddy with the Ulltegra hydros.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:42 am
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 pm
The pad could be part of it, but it also may be the design, and don't forget that the bike frame can also have an influence. A regular riding buddy has Shimano Ultegra hydro and his brakes are quieter in some situations, like when roads are medium wet. When roads are super wet or it's actually raining, then both our bikes are loud. They do heat up, dry off, and go silent if you are doing a lot of braking. The problem of course is that other than serious descending, when do you do a lot of braking? Most rides in the winter involve terrain that limits braking to very occasional - plenty of time for water and grime to build up. On the plus side, as noted you can open calipers up if you don't mind a little more lever travel, and avoid the constant rubbing that all hydro calipers suffer in grimy conditions. This is when my bike is quieter than my buddy with the Ulltegra hydros.
Thanks for the insight. I will have to see how my conditions fare with them and adjust as necessary. I know setup and other factors can make a difference; I have a friend that rides with Ultegra hydros that are basically silent in most conditions, and another with Dura Ace hydros that squeal like banshees when it is really wet. My short, 20-mile weekday morning loop has a lot of short punchy climbs with double-digit or near double-digit grades that I have to come down the other side on, often in the dark and often in the wet, and usually with an intersection at the bottom, which requires much more braking in poor conditions than my longer weekend rides.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

I'm just about to order a set of these and am interested in what pads people are running?

Are the stock pads okay or are you all having more success with aftermarket pads? If so, which would you recommend?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Stock pads are great, no issues and no reason to change.

DaveS

by DaveS

Galfer standard pads work better than stock, IMO. The calipers come with pads for wet and dry. I never ride in the wet. I'm using stock pads on the rear, just to get some use out of them.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

DaveS wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:57 pm
Galfer standard pads work better than stock, IMO. The calipers come with pads for wet and dry. I never ride in the wet. I'm using stock pads on the rear, just to get some use out of them.
Are the Galfer pads quieter than stock?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

The stock seems to behave like your standard resin pad. Not sure there is any real need to change them out for road bike use. Plenty for me.

DaveS

by DaveS

Neither stock or galfer pads are noisy when dry.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mr.Gib wrote:
I want to update this. Over the last two days I spent a total of seven hours riding in some serious fog. Roads were medium damp - so no water sitting on the surface but definitely wet. Temp was 4 - 6 C so lots of condensation. The brakes were surprisingly silent except for a few stop when the fog was really dense and water was dripping off everything. Based on my past experience I expected more noise. Might be due to advancing pad wear, repeated riding in grime and then washing, really no idea why the improvement. Disc brake noise is a bit voodoo. My takeaway, no reason to expect that Juin Tech GT will be any louder (or quieter) than any other disc brake. YMMV.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:18 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
I want to update this. Over the last two days I spent a total of seven hours riding in some serious fog. Roads were medium damp - so no water sitting on the surface but definitely wet. Temp was 4 - 6 C so lots of condensation. The brakes were surprisingly silent except for a few stop when the fog was really dense and water was dripping off everything. Based on my past experience I expected more noise. Might be due to advancing pad wear, repeated riding in grime and then washing, really no idea why the improvement. Disc brake noise is a bit voodoo. My takeaway, no reason to expect that Juin Tech GT will be any louder (or quieter) than any other disc brake. YMMV.
Many thanks for the update!

sethjs

by sethjs

Has anyone had an issue w the JuinTechs or Yokozunas (I think they're the same thing) where the first pull on the brakes after awhile doesn't produce enough clamping force at the disc? That is, similar to a full hydraulic system that's in need of a bleed?

I'd not have thought caliper-only hydraulic systems would behave like that, but I've noticed this a few times seemingly at random with the Yokozunas. First squeeze after sitting a bit isn't super powerful, but then they get better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

sethjs wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:02 pm
Has anyone had an issue w the JuinTechs or Yokozunas (I think they're the same thing) where the first pull on the brakes after awhile doesn't produce enough clamping force at the disc? That is, similar to a full hydraulic system that's in need of a bleed?

I'd not have thought caliper-only hydraulic systems would behave like that, but I've noticed this a few times seemingly at random with the Yokozunas. First squeeze after sitting a bit isn't super powerful, but then they get better.
I have the Yokos and it's always consistent every pull. Sounds like a bleed issue. Check cable ends for squared cuts.