Aero road frame option with tall Stack? (like Dogma F)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

The new Dogma F 595 has geometry that would fit me very well (S 613mm / R 393mm) and the bike is likely excellent to ride but I am not in love with the styling and the local supply and support for Pinarello is spotty. For these reasons I am looking for other aero-optmized road frames that have taller than normal Stack, i.e. over 600mm for a 58-60cm, and no more than ~400mm of Reach. I have looked at a very long list of options and none of them would fit me like the F so maybe custom is my last resort? As much as I would like to support a smaller custom builder and having a unique low-production frame would be cool I just don't have confidence in the aeroness of custom frames. Wind tunnel testing is very expensive so I highly doubt than any of the small producers can afford to do it so that leaves me thinking that the F might be my only choice :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dsk28

by dsk28

RedRacer wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 am
The new Dogma F 595 has geometry that would fit me very well (S 613mm / R 393mm) and the bike is likely excellent to ride but I am not in love with the styling and the local supply and support for Pinarello is spotty. For these reasons I am looking for other aero-optmized road frames that have taller than normal Stack, i.e. over 600mm for a 58-60cm, and no more than ~400mm of Reach. I have looked at a very long list of options and none of them would fit me like the F so maybe custom is my last resort? As much as I would like to support a smaller custom builder and having a unique low-production frame would be cool I just don't have confidence in the aeroness of custom frames. Wind tunnel testing is very expensive so I highly doubt than any of the small producers can afford to do it so that leaves me thinking that the F might be my only choice :noidea:
Have you taken a look at the SL7? I was just comparing their geometries last week and found that they are largely similar - "Aero" Allround bike with properties of an aero bike but higher stack.

Also perfect for me who loves the aero look & geometry but with a higher stack.

Yoeki

by Yoeki

What about the Basso Diamante SV? Size 58 has a reach of 388.6 and a stack of 609.7

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Yoeki wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:18 am
What about the Basso Diamante SV? Size 58 has a reach of 388.6 and a stack of 609.7
I should have mentioned this bike because I like it a lot but it has two strikes. The reported weight is quite substantial and the proprietary aero stem is -11 deg which knocks off ~10mm of bar height negating much of the increased stack height.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

dsk28 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:12 am
Have you taken a look at the SL7? I was just comparing their geometries last week and found that they are largely similar - "Aero" Allround bike with properties of an aero bike but higher stack.

???

The Tarmac SL7 is one of the most classically aggressive road geometries still being made by a major manufacturer. It's very different to the Dogma F, and with the biggest size having stack 602, reach 411 it clearly doesn't meet the OP's requirements.

dsk28

by dsk28

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 am
dsk28 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:12 am

???

The Tarmac SL7 is one of the most classically aggressive road geometries still being made by a major manufacturer. It's very different to the Dogma F, and with the biggest size having stack 602, reach 411 it clearly doesn't meet the OP's requirements.
Yes, the stack of 602 would be just what OP is looking for while the Reach is indeed 11mm more than what he wants.

The SL7 is still considered an allround/climber's bike though, it is much less aggresive than an allout aero bike like the Venge or Canyon Aeroad.

mgrl

by mgrl

dsk28 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 am
The SL7 is still considered an allround/climber's bike though, it is much less aggresive than an allout aero bike like the Venge or Canyon Aeroad.
????

The SL7 has identical geometry to the venge.
vengemac.png
(Oh, and for the old aeroad the integrated bar had a fairly short reach so the geometry actually matches the SL7 pretty precisely as well - to match the hood position of my old 2XL Aeroad Disc with a slammed stem, I've got a 10mm spacer on my Tarmac. The new Aeroad is more relaxed than the old one, too)

RDY

by RDY

Look 795 Blade RS is 601 / 406, but it has a REALLY steep seat tube - 75.8. Which could suit you.

dsk28

by dsk28

mgrl wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
dsk28 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 am
????

The SL7 has identical geometry to the venge.

vengemac.png

(Oh, and for the old aeroad the integrated bar had a fairly short reach so the geometry actually matches the SL7 pretty precisely as well - to match the hood position of my old 2XL Aeroad Disc with a slammed stem, I've got a 10mm spacer on my Tarmac. The new Aeroad is more relaxed than the old one, too)
Hmm that is interesting, I'm struggling to understand why they show the same reach & stack. Attached is the 54 SL7 compared to the 500/530 (545 top tube) Dogma F. It seems to me to have less reach and more stack, in a comparable size. Could it be that at a bigger size the geometry % does not relate?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210913-204506_Chrome.jpg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

dsk28 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Hmm that is interesting, I'm struggling to understand why they show the same reach & stack.
Why the Venge and the Tarmac show the same reach and stack? Because they're the same, just like he said. The SL7 is not less aggressive.
Attached is the 54 SL7 compared to the 500/530 (545 top tube) Dogma F. It seems to me to have less reach and more stack, in a comparable size. Could it be that at a bigger size the geometry % does not relate?
???

The chart you just posted clearly illustrates what we're telling you - the Dogma F is shorter in reach and taller in stack in a comparable size to the SL7. I don't know what's confusing you here :noidea:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Willier does the cento10NDR

Gern

by Gern

I have a very recent data point. I am tall, with a short torso, so I look for similar stack and reach numbers. I have an old custom Serotta Legend ST (59 x 56, 21cm HT) and a TIME Fluidity (57 x 57, 20cm HT). I just built up a Scott foil size 58 (58TT, 19HT), and it works for me -- barely. I used a shorter Scott aero stem + aero spacers (not the integrated bar) and a Specialized Aerofly hover bar. That extra 2.5cm of stack is what was necessary for me to match the contact points on my TIME (set up 1cm lower than my Serotta). It's not an exact science, as frame, stem and bar measurements are not always precise, plus my other bikes have Campagnolo, and the Scott has Dura-Ace Di2. So there's a bit of reach difference because of the hood shape and minor variations in bars.

Gern

by Gern

double tap

zaak

by zaak

Almost all new aero frames have fully integrated cables.Because of that stem spacers are more massive then before and bike can look quite good with almost 25-30mm spacers.
With this adjustment you can compensate smaller stack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Konsi

by Konsi

The Ridley Fenix might be close? At least it has the option of custom paint. Same for the Orbea Orca OMX.