Does anyone speak Speedplay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

1/ Last time I looked at Speedplay pedals they came in different length axles, but that's not the case now. Has that been abandoned, the cleats instead coming with the built-in ability to move left/right?

2/ Speedplay website says the cleats have 6mm of lateral adjustment. So, what does that mean? Does it mean you have +/- 3mm either side of the stated Q Factor, ie. midpoint, of 53mm? Or does it mean you can move your feet 6mm further outboard from the 53mm default, like as if you are increasing axle length, or 6mm further inboard as though you are reducing axle length?

3/ Stack height is give as 11.5mm for a 3-hole shoe, and 8.4 or 8.5mm for a 4-hole shoe. Why is that?

4/ Why is buying new kit such a hassle?

Thanks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Valbrona wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:49 am
1/ Last time I looked at Speedplay pedals they came in different length axles, but that's not the case now. Has that been abandoned, the cleats instead coming with the built-in ability to move left/right?

2/ Speedplay website says the cleats have 6mm of lateral adjustment. So, what does that mean? Does it mean you have +/- 3mm either side of the stated Q Factor, ie. midpoint, of 53mm? Or does it mean you can move your feet 6mm further outboard from the 53mm default, like as if you are increasing axle length, or 6mm further inboard as though you are reducing axle length?

3/ Stack height is give as 11.5mm for a 3-hole shoe, and 8.4 or 8.5mm for a 4-hole shoe. Why is that?

Thanks.

1. Wahoo has some different spindle lengths, but not as many as when Speedplay was its own entity. Contact Wahoo for more info.
2. Yes, 6mm total from one extreme to the other, not 6mm in each direction.
3. Speedplay cleats require an adapter for 3-bolt shoes.
4. The global pandemic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Top banana.

milanv

by milanv

Valbrona wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:10 am
Top banana.
+1 :roll:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Valbrona wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:49 am
Wahoo are only going to sell pedals with the standard spindle length. They are in future going to sell axles of different lengths seperately, but not the narrowest one Speedplay used to make. The cleats are unchanged from Speedplay's Zero walkable version.

I'm running the normal spindle length with the cleats on their full inboard setting and it's noticeably narrower than what was possible on my Keo Blades and my EU42 shoe is pretty damn close to the crank arm. I can't see any mileage in getting a shorter spindle without also trading in for some smaller feet. I might need to move them further out just to put some light overshoes on when winter comes.
Want Speedplay, buy Speedplay. Hassle? :noidea:

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

If you want some axles let me know. I have a bunch of them most sizes. With Shimano offering wider Q factor I'm carrying less Speedplay stuff.

ms6073

by ms6073

1swiftvelo wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:26 pm
If you want some axles let me know. I have a bunch of them most sizes.
Thats good to know but lets qualify that for the OP since the legacy Speedplay spindles are not compatible with the new Wahoo version. As for the cleats, while Wahoo has not changed the design of the cleat, they have added an additional fairing to cover the adapter plate for the 3-hole version and from personal experience, i thinkg that tigtening of the 4 mounting bolts that secure the cleat to the adapter plate is more straight forward than before and the materials of the metal cleat seem a but of an improvement as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm
1swiftvelo wrote:
Thats good to know but lets qualify that for the OP since the legacy Speedplay spindles are not compatible with the new Wahoo version. As for the cleats, while Wahoo has not changed the design of the cleat, they have added an additional fairing to cover the adapter plate for the 3-hole version and from personal experience, i thinkg that tigtening of the 4 mounting bolts that secure the cleat to the adapter plate is more straight forward than before and the materials of the metal cleat seem a but of an improvement as well.
As for the old spindles correct, they don't fit the new Wahoo Speedplay pedals. Unfortunately I've only sold Speedplay pedals for 15 years I might not know all the details.

Wahoo will not be offering spindles , if you need wider spindles it's a whole new set of pedal. They will not be offering bodies for rebuild either . "Things wear out". What rep said.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

1swiftvelo wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:55 am
ms6073 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm
1swiftvelo wrote:
They will not be offering bodies for rebuild either . "Things wear out". What rep said.
That is what's wrong with our part of the world... 🙄

satanas

by satanas

Yet more reasons to boycott Wahoo, as if I didn't have enough already. They really, really suck IME & IMHO. :evil:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

So after taking over wahoo they moved manufacturing overseas without dropping the price and also made it harder to modify or service? Classic M&A. I'm sure a consulting intern made some nice looking charts.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just thank god I bought the last two pair of Speedplay Pave in existance. If Wahoo dont get this sorted I am moving on when the Paves are worn out.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

satanas wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:52 am
Yet more reasons to boycott Wahoo, as if I didn't have enough already. They really, really suck IME & IMHO. :evil:
Uh, are you aware of how Speedplay conducted business when it was owned by Richard Bryne?

Bryne was an attorney by training and—IMNSHO—a litigious jerk by temperament. He made lots of threats that, to my untrained eye, didn't look like they'd stand up in court. I wouldn't argue with someone who called him a bully.

Speedplay the company tended to treat its dealers like dogshit. One dealer I know sold their products for 15 years. They over-ordered one year and so under-ordered the next. The year after that, SP wanted to see their business license "to prove [you're] legit" before accepting an order. If the company was run by a control freak, that worldview trickled right the eff down to the employees.

But damnit, the pedals were amazing. I've been riding clipless pedals since those old white Looks hit the scene in the '80s, and the X series are definitely my favorite pedals of all time. I still use them, including one pair I bought in 1994.

I'm disappointed that Wahoo isn't making at least one batch of X-series cleats, but that business decision is rational and reasonable in context.

Why do you hate Wahoo so much? I mean, from a Speedplay user's perspective, this is actually a considerable improvement. From a dealer's perspective, it's night-and-day. So what's your beef with Wahoo?

nickf

by nickf

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:15 am
I just thank god I bought the last two pair of Speedplay Pave in existance. If Wahoo dont get this sorted I am moving on when the Paves are worn out.
My local shop has a pair of pave pedals that I have been wanting to pickup. The issue is my first pair the brass looking insert in the pedal body broke on one of the corners. I sent them back to speedplay and they fixed it, so far so good. Not sure if the ones on the shelf will do the same thing, then I'm just stuck with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona

by Valbrona

My newly acquired Speedplay pedals are just rubbish ... at maximum backward positionong of the cleats they placing my feet 3/4mm further back than my Time set up.