Oakley Jawbreaker Clip Corrosion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I can confirm my clip is magnetic, so it probably is steel after all.

Should be the case that sanding down to remove corrosion and repainting with primer and then some durable paint should extend the life of the clip considerably.

Shame it's not correctly protected by the manufacturer. Makes the Jawbreakers a disposable item, bad for Oakley's reputation and brand prestige, but also bad for the planet.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:28 pm
I have a pair of Oakley Jawbreakers, which are 2.5 years old, just out of warranty.

Great glasses and great lenses, I like them a lot......but I noticed in the past 6 months the metal clip which holds the top and bottom frame together has started to corrode on the side which faces the lens. Not easy to see unless the lenses are out.

I'm guessing this is from sweat, which as we know is a highly corrosive substance. I didn't realise the metal clip could corrode, seems like a major design oversight.

Oakley have not been helpful, except offering a replacement frame for more than the online price.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Jawbreakers, or is it just me?
May i ask, do you clean your glasses after every single ride or not?
I always use dish-soap and water after every ride.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 am
Nickldn wrote:
I have a pair of Oakley Jawbreakers, which are 2.5 years old, just out of warranty.

Great glasses and great lenses, I like them a lot......but I noticed in the past 6 months the metal clip which holds the top and bottom frame together has started to corrode on the side which faces the lens. Not easy to see unless the lenses are out.

I'm guessing this is from sweat, which as we know is a highly corrosive substance. I didn't realise the metal clip could corrode, seems like a major design oversight.

Oakley have not been helpful, except offering a replacement frame for more than the online price.

No, I don't clean them after every single ride. I clean them when they need cleaning, that is if there is sweat/dirt/other crap on them.

As mentioned not easy to see the side of the clip which corrodes unless the lenses are out. Unless you submerge the glasses in soapy water for a prolonged time it's unlikely you'll thoroughly clean sweat off the inside of the clip and the hinge.

I think this is a valid issue though. The Oakley care instructions do not state the frames need to be cleaned after every single ride.

In my mind sports glasses frames should usually be quite resistant to corrosion (from sweat for example) , especially if they are plastic. The clip which has rusted and failed for many customers is metal, but Oakley still rate the frames for sports use.

I would either expect this clip to be suitably treated and fit for purpose, or for explicit care instructions about washing the frames and clip to be present.

Finally, it would be really useful if Oakley offered a replacement clip in their range of spare parts. Shame they don't, as it means the frames are useless if the clip fails.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:20 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:59 am
Nickldn wrote:

No, I don't clean them after every single ride. I clean them when they need cleaning, that is if there is sweat/dirt/other crap on them.

As mentioned not easy to see the side of the clip which corrodes unless the lenses are out. Unless you submerge the glasses in soapy water for a prolonged time it's unlikely you'll thoroughly clean sweat off the inside of the clip and the hinge.

I think this is a valid issue though. The Oakley care instructions do not state the frames need to be cleaned after every single ride.

In my mind sports glasses frames should usually be quite resistant to corrosion (from sweat for example) , especially if they are plastic. The clip which has rusted and failed for many customers is metal, but Oakley still rate the frames for sports use.

I would either expect this clip to be suitably treated and fit for purpose, or for explicit care instructions about washing the frames and clip to be present.

Finally, it would be really useful if Oakley offered a replacement clip in their range of spare parts. Shame they don't, as it means the frames are useless if the clip fails.
All valid points :thumbup:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I don't want to appear anti-Oakley (probably too late for that now). I have an Oakley ARO7 aero helmet and my other half also has Oakley glasses, though not Jawbreakers.

I want Oakley to do the right thing for customers and create more sustainable products. Shame companies don't think like this.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:52 am
I don't want to appear anti-Oakley (probably too late for that now). I have an Oakley ARO7 aero helmet and my other half also has Oakley glasses, though not Jawbreakers.

I want Oakley to do the right thing for customers and create more sustainable products. Shame companies don't think like this.
No, you are right. I don't see your criticism as anti Oakley. I have Sutro and i like them very much. I also have Smith Optics, but i use them with different lenses.
Oakley are road jade lenses and the Smith lens i use, is a bit rose tinted. The latter is better for cloudy or a bit darker days.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Cleaner

by Cleaner

The organization you are expecting to do the right thing for customers has a documented history of engaging in anticompetitive practices.

https://wwd.com/business-news/governmen ... 234886894/

They should offer this as a spare part but obviously would rather force you to buy new frames. It is clearly a design flaw in the context of reliability of use for intended purpose.

I have been involved in the design of head worn and face worn products and we are well aware of the exposure to sweat and other substances found in cosmetics, sun screen, perfume etc. This exposure is accounted for in the designs and verfied in product testing before products are qualified.

If you look at their holdings they are almost all aspirational lifestyle brands based on advertising and sponsored influencers pimping their wares as desireable. They are not engineering/performance driven designs.

bobones

by bobones

bobones wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:22 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:22 pm
There is a 3d printed replacement clip available on etsy and eBay:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9499488 ... -clip-hook
Great. Thanks for the info. Just ordered.
Etsy package arrived today. You get two clips for your money: one with a gap and one continuous where is connects to nosepiece. I've fitted the gapped one to mine, and it seems to work perfectly. I am not going to be swapping lenses around on this pair, so I expect it to last pretty well, and I have the second one to fall back on. Great buy!

Nickldn

by Nickldn

bobones wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:14 pm
bobones wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:22 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:22 pm
There is a 3d printed replacement clip available on etsy and eBay:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9499488 ... -clip-hook
Great. Thanks for the info. Just ordered.
Etsy package arrived today. You get two clips for your money: one with a gap and one continuous where is connects to nosepiece. I've fitted the gapped one to mine, and it seems to work perfectly. I am not going to be swapping lenses around on this pair, so I expect it to last pretty well, and I have the second one to fall back on. Great buy!
Glad to hear the plastic clip seems to be a workable solution. Hopefully it will save some glasses, which would otherwise end up in the bin.

I don't think the two frame halves are under that much tension, so a plastic clip should be strong enough. I also don't think it would be too bad changing lenses, just gotta be very gentle.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have taken off my corroding clip and sanded it down for repainting. Looks like the metal used is electroplated copper, when I sanded down the clip copper shows through the silver coating.

Now how best to repaint to stop corrosion, but not add much to the thickness of the clip?
Attachments
IMG_20210925_102828_edit_189870712627277.jpg
IMG_20210925_102808_edit_189861903747070.jpg

poulhansen

by poulhansen

If it's magnetic, it's steel. If it was chromed, then they first "copper" it to make the chrome stick.

You can remove all rust by emerging it in an oxalic acid solution which only removes rust, not steel. Then you could buy a spray can "cold galvanizing" which is zink paint, to protect it. Zink has the ability to "creep" over small scratches and thus protecting even with scratches.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

ds240

by ds240

Glad it isn't just me!

My clip broke, but separated the hinge bar from the rest of the clip through corrosion.

Oakley are very poor in not offering a spare part for what I'd say is a flawed item. Their offer of discount on their website next to useless.

Ended up buying another frame at a good price which also gave me a different lense option to add to the collection.

However, I've continued using the broken ones. Once set up I've not really had any issues with them opening or lense coming loose. Probably helped by close contact with the helmet and pressure between glasses and nose.

The 3D part is useful link, thank you. I had searched everywhere but this never popped up.