SRAM AXS shifters with Shimano 12 speed road cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

I've just upgraded my titanium bike from 11-speed Red eTap to 12-speed using the CS-R8100 Ultegra 11-34 cassette, Rival derailleurs, Praxis Buzz 52-36 12-speed rings and it's all working perfectly. I didn't notice any difference with rear shifting using the Shimano CN-M8100 chain vs flattop, so I am currently running with the flattop until I can degrease and wax the Shimano chain.

At first I had a problem where the Ultegra cassette had a noticeable wobble on one of my wheels, and the shifting was poor as a result, but fitting a thin spacer to the hub cured the wobble and shifting is now perfect over the entire range of the cassette. I'm not really sure why the spacer was necessary for this hub as the lock ring was tightening properly, and the cassette worked fine on another 11-speed hub without the spacer.

The Praxis Buzz rings work well enough, but I don't think the chain moves up quite as smoothly as it does on AXS rings. No overthrows on the road after checking for them in the stand and fine tuning the high limit screw. My only real criticism would be that under heavy load (pushing up a slope for example), some shifts to the big ring would not take. This was me looking for problems though and is not really a scenario that will happen in reality. To be honest, I think my 11-speed Buzz rings shift just as well as these new 12-speed rings, but perhaps there is some performance difference I just haven't been able to notice.

bobones

by bobones

I wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 am
I didn't notice any difference with rear shifting using the Shimano CN-M8100 chain vs flattop, so I am currently running with the flattop until I can degrease and wax the Shimano chain.
I swapped to the Shimano chain for this morning's ride, and I thought rear shifting was a bit smoother and quieter overall with less tendency for some shifts to thunk or clunk into place. Front shifting was also good, so I am going to continue with the Shimano chain on this bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The 11-34 cassette might be MTB hub fit. YOu might need to use the spacer with it. The 11sp 11-34 was like this.

Edit: Looks like there are some thick and thin spacers as well as an adhesive ring
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 01-ENG.pdf
There are also shims https://r2-bike.com/navi.php?k=1417&hf= ... 00&pf=0_40

bobones

by bobones

I used a 1mm spacer I had lying around from a 10 speed cassette.

It's not entirely clear what's going on. Without the spacer there is no wobble until proper torque is applied to the lock ring, yet the cassette and hub surfaces seem to mate together correctly.

Attermann

by Attermann

You need the 1,85 mm spacer behind the 11-34 because it's made to fit 9 speed hubs.

bobones

by bobones

Attermann wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm
You need the 1,85 mm spacer behind the 11-34 because it's made to fit 9 speed hubs.
That's the 11-speed 11-34. There's nothing documented about the 12-speed needing a spacer AFAIK.

Attermann

by Attermann

bobones wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 pm
Attermann wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm
That's the 11-speed 11-34. There's nothing documented about the 12-speed needing a spacer AFAIK.
You are right, I thought about 11 speed for a moment.

kroem

by kroem

Trying this on a new build:

Force AXS shifters
Ultegra 11-34 cassett
SLX M6100 chain

It seems my chain gets stuck on the upper pulley, every other revelation or so.

Might be because it's a new and dip waxed chain?
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

bobones

by bobones

Check for stiff links, make sure quick link is installed correctly and chain is threaded through RD cage properly. The quick link on my 8100 chain needed a lot of force to set it. Perhaps take the chain off and turn it around the other way to see if it behaves differently. Also make sure your cassette is running without wobbling on the freehub as this seems to be a common problem which can be fixed by adding a 1mm spacer to the hub.

kroem

by kroem

One idea...what about swapping pulleys for like some alu kcnc?
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

ice29

by ice29

Nice to hear that it works fine with Shimano cassettes! Want to convert my GFs Scott Addict eBike from Shimano 105 to 1x Rival AXS, but the Mahle motor/hub I only use Shimano cassettes... I bought a cheap aliexpress 11-34 to try out but will swap it for Shimano 11-36 when it's available (I still hope they will upgrade GRX Di2 to 12-speed as well and bring some 11-40/44/48 12-speed options)

kroem

by kroem

My system works now that I micro adjusted it properly. Shifts nicely - bit of a frankenbike with Force shifters, Ultegra cassette och Campag crank... :D
IMG_6215.jpeg
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

Block

by Block

The spacing is different between the sram and shimano. I have never found a complete chart for 12 speed spacing between axs rd, xplr, eagle, shimano rd and shimano mtb.
I have tried a couple of combinations. If the chain is prisitne it can work. For a while. But the system will be a lot more sensitive for misalignement because of the spacing. Would be great if there where a cassette on aliexpress with spacing for axs.

bobones

by bobones

Not sure what you're on about. I've done hundreds of miles on Shimano 8100 with AXS and shifting is buttery smooth and perfect. I have done thousands of miles with an 11-34 AliE cassette, flattop chain and AXS, and it is also perfect if a little more clunky than HG+. Your hanger needs to be straight, but otherwise it's totally fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gabpolitely

by gabpolitely

This thread has been very useful in helping with my electronic retrofitting for my 12 year old TT bike. For the longest time I've been trying to figure out how to convert it to electronic in a nice clean way (while still sticking to Shimano freehubs like my other bikes + trainer) and thanks to this thread I've figured it out!

I'm running a 1x setup (for simplicity) with the SRAM Rival eTap AXS RD. To keep the cockpit clean (and wireless without a blipbox), I went with the SRAM eTap AXS Wireless Blips. I chanced upon a couple pairs at R&A Cycles. I was able to pair it at my LBS with the help of a borrowed SRAM Rival HRD Left shifter. After pairing, it's been working perfectly without the borrowed shifter. The Wireless Blips are great in that they're easily mountable anywhere depending on my position. I mounted an extra pair to my Shimano DA brake levers (surprisingly a very clean fit, who knew Shimano and SRAM would work so well together!).

For my chain and cassette I went with Shimano 12sp road components at the Ultegra level to match my other bikes and trainer. Shifting works great with the SRAM derailleur. My front 1x chainring is a Drag2Zero 54T. Works great at retaining the chain and haven't had any problems.

Overall really happy with this setup. Thinking of adding a OSPW at some point for the bling but apart from that the SRAmano drivetrain gets a checkmark from me!
IMG_9655.jpg
IMG_9662.jpg
IMG_9658.jpg
IMG_9659.jpg
IMG_9660.jpg
IMG_9664.jpg
IMG_9657.jpg