Best Chainrings for new road build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TaylorB

by TaylorB

Hello I am building up my first frame, a Specialized SL7 frame and all I am missing is the chainrings. I am running Dura ace Di2 with the Quarq dubfour PM cranks, but I cannot decide which chainrings to buy. I will be getting a 52/36 T.

I am debating between:
- CarbonTi which is the lightest (I have heard a few bad reviews about people having chain-drop issues)
- Rotor chainring
- AbsoluteBlack

I am also open to other suggestions! Thank you for all the advise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matte86

by Matte86

TaylorB wrote:Hello I am building up my first frame, a Specialized SL7 frame and all I am missing is the chainrings. I am running Dura ace Di2 with the Quarq dubfour PM cranks, but I cannot decide which chainrings to buy. I will be getting a 52/36 T.

I am debating between:
- CarbonTi which is the lightest (I have heard a few bad reviews about people having chain-drop issues)
- Rotor chainring
- AbsoluteBlack

I have Sram Red AXS and Carbon Ti rings. Not sure if the chain-drop issues you saw where in that thread.. If so After Ryan’s prompting I was provided with the first batch of Carbon Ti V2 outer rig and since then my chain-drop issues have stopped
So I can vouch for them Image

pokhim

by pokhim

deleted

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Never had any problems with Rotor rings on an Ultegra set up.
Interested into why the standard Shimano rings aren't an option on your list?

TaylorB

by TaylorB

Matte86 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:38 am
TaylorB wrote:Hello I am building up my first frame, a Specialized SL7 frame and all I am missing is the chainrings. I am running Dura ace Di2 with the Quarq dubfour PM cranks, but I cannot decide which chainrings to buy. I will be getting a 52/36 T.

I am debating between:
- Rotor chainring
- AbsoluteBlack

I have Sram Red AXS and Carbon Ti rings. Not sure if the chain-drop issues you saw where in that thread.. If so After Ryan’s prompting I was provided with the first batch of Carbon Ti V2 outer rig and since then my chain-drop issues have stopped
I appreciate the reply, so do they only have the V2 for sale now? I am assuming they discontinued the V1

TaylorB

by TaylorB

CampagYOLO wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am
Never had any problems with Rotor rings on an Ultegra set up.
Interested into why the standard Shimano rings aren't an option on your list?

I guess I am open to the DA rings as well, but they are tough to find right now. When I bought my DA set it came without the crank/chainrings so I reasoned that I should explore other options

Cannoli

by Cannoli

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shim ... inring?s=a

Every DA9100 chainring option is available here. I keep hearing that parts aren't available, but I've yet to not find whatever I need for my bikes. Sure, not at a discount, but parts are certainly available.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

garbageman

by garbageman

Cannoli wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:33 am

Every DA9100 chainring option is available here. I keep hearing that parts aren't available, but I've yet to not find whatever I need for my bikes. Sure, not at a discount, but parts are certainly available.
No 50t at that link.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Shimano chainrings will obviously still shift the best because they are so ridiculously stiff.

Matte86

by Matte86

TaylorB wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:38 am

I am debating between:
- Rotor chainring
- AbsoluteBlack

I appreciate the reply, so do they only have the V2 for sale now? I am assuming they discontinued the V1
The inner ring kept the same specs as it was fine, the problem was on the outer one. They changed it to this new V2. Ryan in the other thread pointed out the differences. But as I mentioned this change regards only the Compatible Sram AXS rings..

Cannoli

by Cannoli

garbageman wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:55 am
Cannoli wrote:

No 50t at that link.
Good call. I apologies I missed that. However, it will be available here on 20 Sept: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/produc ... chainrings

Again, I've had very good luck finding parts. Sometimes it takes a little searching, but things are available, just not as available as before.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

TaylorB

by TaylorB

Cannoli wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm
garbageman wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:55 am
Cannoli wrote:

No 50t at that link.
Good call. I apologies I missed that. However, it will be available here on 20 Sept: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/produc ... chainrings

Again, I've had very good luck finding parts. Sometimes it takes a little searching, but things are available, just not as available as before.
Find me some Roval Rapide bars in the US hahaha, they are all over in Europe, Australia, Asia, but nowhere to be found here.

TaylorB

by TaylorB

robbosmans wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:18 am
Shimano chainrings will obviously still shift the best because they are so ridiculously stiff.
Much stiffer than the CarbonTi chainrings?

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

I'm running praxis works rings for years. Always sold my ultegra cranks. Use rotor cranks with power2max pwm (reliable accurate and consistent) and praxis rings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

Fibre Lyte! :mrgreen:

Go weenie, or go home.