The Shimano 11s to 12s compatibility thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

If the old TT shifters are able to shift the new 12s RD, it would seem that it's just a firmware update that makes it compatible. So there really isn't a reason the old road shifters (8000/9100) couldn't work other than Shimano doesn't want them to.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Alfus wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:06 pm
E46M3 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 am
I'm planning on ordering the new calipers (BR-R8170) for my R8070 Di2, the extra 10mm clearance should hopefully make a difference, already running the 12speed chain.
Is not going to work.
I'm sure no one has tested it so we don't know yet. Maybe it works? Maybe not as expected? Maybe not working at all or even dangerous? Let's find out and then we can move on.
On the other hand, who would have thought that 12s XTR chains work exceptionally well with Shimano road 11s cassettes and chainrings? I'm sure Shimano says not compatible :D

Ritxis

by Ritxis

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:14 pm
If the old TT shifters are able to shift the new 12s RD, it would seem that it's just a firmware update that makes it compatible. So there really isn't a reason the old road shifters (8000/9100) couldn't work other than Shimano doesn't want them to.
weird decision ... or not €€€
the weird thing I see is that the TT / Tri shifters they only have a button, and in those on the road, you lose not being able to connect the new satellite controls.......be there if someone finds a way to hack them ............ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Ritxis wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
the weird thing I see is that the TT / Tri shifters they only have a button, and in those on the road, you lose not being able to connect the new satellite controls.......be there if someone finds a way to hack them ............ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I feel like there's a relatively easy hack for 1x using sprint shifters or TT shifters. Just pick up any shifter/brake lever that works and add in the sprint shifters to the hoods wherever they're comfortable. One side for upshifting and the other for down. Could even do 2x if you put it in full synchro mode and let the RD shift the FD.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

petromyzon

by petromyzon

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:11 am

making a change only for the sake of making it - 53/39 has been, and frankly speaking still is, at least amongst those who race, a golden standard. I bet they've produced tons of marketing BS as for why 52/36 or 54/40 is "better" but the thing is - it's different. doesn't give you any edge, any new 'features', just makes you adapt to a completely new gearing.
If there is one thing that the last 6 months have made abundantly clear it's that a proportion of WW have their favourite gear ratios and get super upset if they might have to change.

I've been in a position in the past where I felt like I was too fit for 50/34. But the three options they have cover everyone from fat MAMILs to Pogacar. There are things to complain about with this groupset but the ratios are decent. I get that you hate change....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:40 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:11 am

making a change only for the sake of making it - 53/39 has been, and frankly speaking still is, at least amongst those who race, a golden standard. I bet they've produced tons of marketing BS as for why 52/36 or 54/40 is "better" but the thing is - it's different. doesn't give you any edge, any new 'features', just makes you adapt to a completely new gearing.
If there is one thing that the last 6 months have made abundantly clear it's that a proportion of WW have their favourite gear ratios and get super upset if they might have to change.

I've been in a position in the past where I felt like I was too fit for 50/34. But the three options they have cover everyone from fat MAMILs to Pogacar. There are things to complain about with this groupset but the ratios are decent. I get that you hate change....

And he has selective memory. Chainring ratios existed before 53/39. Campy used to be 54/42 IIRC and I'm sure there were lots of people who cried and cried when it stopped being the "standard."

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I often get the impression if they'd switch brake levers the other way round, lots of folks here would just go extatic.. "I've always wanted to operate rear brake with my left hand", "it's what pros want!" :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 pm
I often get the impression if they'd switch brake levers the other way round, lots of folks here would just go extatic.. "I've always wanted to operate rear brake with my left hand", "it's what pros want!" :roll:

What pros want kind of matters. Dura-Ace is intended for people who race and if 54/40 is what racers want, Shimano will be keen to make it for them.

In the meantime we mortals are just fine with 52/36. How many complete bikes do you see shipping with 53/39 these days?

Why is the change from gearing like 54/42 to 53/39 “good” but not 53/39 to 54/40?

stevej

by stevej

So will 9000 or 9100 chain rings work on new 12 speed chain? The compatibility chart says no but I don't see why they wouldn't considering folks are already running a 12 speed chain on those chainrings.

mgrl

by mgrl

tymon_tm wrote:
That's not only the standard it's also the legally required setup for new bikes in the UK. Nothing stopping you doing it now.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Rotor 52-36 Q rings with 2inpower meter........will this work with 12 speed Ultegra groupset?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mgrl wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
That's not only the standard it's also the legally required setup for new bikes in the UK. Nothing stopping you doing it now.

I didn’t even bother responding directly to that since it was completely irrelevant. Brake setup depends on whether a country is LHD or RHD. People who race international schedules are going to keep whatever setup they’ve grown accustomed to. Stuff like that doesn’t change arbitrarily. Shimano moving to 54/40 isn’t an arbitrary change either.

E46M3

by E46M3

Alfus wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:06 pm
E46M3 wrote:
I'm planning on ordering the new calipers (BR-R8170) for my R8070 Di2, the extra 10mm clearance should hopefully make a difference, already running the 12speed chain.
Is not going to work.

Can you explain why?

MaxPower

by MaxPower

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Ritxis wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:25 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
I feel like there's a relatively easy hack for 1x using sprint shifters or TT shifters. Just pick up any shifter/brake lever that works and add in the sprint shifters to the hoods wherever they're comfortable. One side for upshifting and the other for down. Could even do 2x if you put it in full synchro mode and let the RD shift the FD.
I hope they do make the old generation 2 bottom shifters compatable also down the road. would make me buy it to be able to dump the a-junction. my frame "aquila CV" is to old to have integration of it, and having the junction on the extension ends limits the possibility for future custom cockpits.

Syncro shift is not for everyone (not for me at least - i hate it big time, therefore i use ST-9071)

One can always hope...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiz92

by tiz92

E46M3 wrote:
Try it. Or please someone trys and reports. I would instabuy that.