Summer Gloves?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

WrightJnr wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 am
After 20 odd years always wearing gloves I now don’t use any in summer. Find the bar shape and bar tape being used now is comfortable enough.
Gloves are just as much if not more about protecting your hands in a crash as they're for comfort. If you don't like the feel of padded gloves there are also ones without any padding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tleo

by tleo

EdWiser wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:09 pm
Does anyone have a good glove that has a towel piece on the back of the hand? I like this style to wipe sweat from my eyes.
I'll second this thought. I'm still running an old pair of cheap Performance gloves with a terry cloth back and since I sweat copiously it gets a lot of use. Best gloves I've ever owned, they just won't wear out. Wish I had purchased several pair.

froze

by froze

mogwaiboi wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:47 am
Specialized Grail were always my go to glove until they changed them, the palm padding bunches up after one ride and they are rendered useless. I quite like Rapha Core, pretty basic but they are super comfy.
I had the same issue, they use to be really nice gloves, not anymore. The last pair I bought I discovered the padding got thinner, then the manufacturing idiots hot glued the padding into a inside pocket, that hot glue lasted all but one day. I took them back immediately to my former Specialized dealer and instead got a pair of Bontrager Solstice, these are OK, nothing to write home about though.

I use to by Giro gloves too, but the last pair of those that I got lasted barely a season when the face side of the glove got paper thin it ripped through, and then I tried to get the glove off with those pulls and the pulls ripped right off, I don't recall the model but that's when I switched to Specialized, and now I'm with Bontrager but will be looking for a better pair, I'll have to try a pair of those Isodore Signature gloves, they sound interesting, but are they? I don't want spend $150 for gloves, I've had expensive pairs before and quite frankly they didn't last any longer than less expensive ones, and they weren't any more or less comfortable than cheaper ones.

Roel W

by Roel W

dsk28 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am
Gripgrab
Buy whatever you want but not GripGrab.
Bought a pair and they fel apart very quick.
I was that stupid to buy a new pair GripGrab (antoher model) and they felt even quicker apart (read: after about 10 to 15 rides).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Shiverton wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:11 pm
I got the Q36.5 unique gloves and like them quite a bit. Feel very comfortable.
These are awful... well the giro ones anyway. That foam just holds in all the heat. This is a pretty decent winter solution.

I like full finger and to wear gloves even on the hottest day; half finger seem to make the exposed side swell a bit. Looking at perforated, light pad, summer gloves....
Light pad: Rapha Explore (seemed great in the store, but expensive), Giro XNETIC knitted gloves (I bought a 2nd pair, palm shrinks a bit in dryer, but the back feels like a hug)

Pad: Castelli Arenburg (haven't tried these, but I like their central palm pad on the cross gloves); Bontrager Circuit (inform pad is genius, solves problem of pads splaying).

Bad: Gore C5 Trail (palm streches unevenly when moist, destroys your palm)

Tip: don't spend too much here, as the lightest gloves tear from the palm on occasion (the kitted Giro being an exception).

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Roeckl gloves, i swear by them. Currently have 2 pairs of Roeckl icon. Theyre the best

dsk28

by dsk28

Roel W wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 pm
dsk28 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:16 am
Gripgrab
Buy whatever you want but not GripGrab.
Bought a pair and they fel apart very quick.
I was that stupid to buy a new pair GripGrab (antoher model) and they felt even quicker apart (read: after about 10 to 15 rides).
I've been altering 2 pairs of gripgrabs for the past year with average 200km ride per week and they're still in shape.
Granted one of the pair has started to have the stitching come off in the padding area...
Just purchased a couple Pearl Izumis, can't wait to try them.

dsk28

by dsk28

Lina wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:56 pm
WrightJnr wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:58 am
After 20 odd years always wearing gloves I now don’t use any in summer. Find the bar shape and bar tape being used now is comfortable enough.
Gloves are just as much if not more about protecting your hands in a crash as they're for comfort. If you don't like the feel of padded gloves there are also ones without any padding.
This is also one of the importance of gloves, I have had some skin scraped (but most of it saved) by a glove in a crash.
Wouldn't wanna ride without one!

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

There is too much choice.
I don't know what choose for Cx or Gravel ? Then with a good pad
Thanks