New Benchmark aero road bike: Simplon Pride 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

According to the German Rennrad magazine this is the fastest bike they have ever tested in the wind tunnel. I guess the new UCI rules allow these kind of tube shapes which are kind of changing the looks of the aero bikes. One bike to rule them all is history.
Attachments
Aero values.png
Pride 2 sram.png
Pride2.png
Last edited by Kaludrob on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

the first figure in the aero values is the "normalized power" at 45 m/h and the second values is the wind resistance from 0 degrees.
Last edited by Kaludrob on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

Last picture of the different yaw angles.
Attachments
yaw angles.JPG

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I hadn't heard about a change to rules governing tube shapes, but the distance from the front of the headtube to the back of the toptube/downtube junction looks deeper than was allowed when my aero bike was made in 2016. Can you summarize the changes?

coldmirow

by coldmirow

Hi, do have the complete review?
Do you if the aerotests where done wirh the same wheelset?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

C36

by C36

Seeing the absolute power numbers, I believe that’s just the bike alone correct? If that’s the case, then not really useful.

gzon

by gzon

C36 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:34 pm
Seeing the absolute power numbers, I believe that’s just the bike alone correct? If that’s the case, T
then not really useful.
Half true, but the numbers still provide insight I think. The Cannondale System Six has been the reference/best aero frame and seem to have been topping this list until now.
Real world aero however probably requires bottle shielding as we have seen on quite a lot of frames now. Just yesterday we saw it again on the Ribble Ultra bike.

Do we know the weight of the frameset and weight of a full "halo build" like in the pictures?

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

the weight is not bad tbh
Attachments
test.JPG

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

coldmirow wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm
Hi, do have the complete review?
Do you if the aerotests where done wirh the same wheelset?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
i do have the test available online. I have not read it yet entirely. so not sure about wheelsets etc. in another artile i read that it is 30 watts faster than the predecessor, which was not bad either. and regarding tube shapes i don't know about the rule changes. but the article states that the tube shapes were only possible because of the new uci rules. I guess the steerer tube is the most obvious difference to the old aero bikes.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Unlikely the latest releases from Simplon and Ribble will get me to buy them, but I do hope they force the mainstream manufactures to get a move on.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

cajer

by cajer

The numbers seem very suspect to me. As it's claimed to be 15 watts faster than the system6, which is known to be one of the best bikes aero wise. Hell cervelo only claimed 10 watts going from a s3 to the first s5 which was a radical departure from the s3. So I'm going to call BS on this test.

They are also claiming a 52 watt gain from a round tubed frame. Maybe if they are testing at 50 or 60 kph

spartan

by spartan

another test with major discrepencies.

link
https://www.radsport-rennrad.de/test-te ... 2021-test/
https://www.radsport-rennrad.de/test-te ... eder-2021/

the specialized sl7 was tested with rapide cl wheels. this model uses round spokes which cost you 3-5 watts
the madone slr9 was tested with previous generation xxx wheels. the new rsl are 6+watts more aero.

why the f** don't they test all bikes with a control aero wheel/tire like a dtswiss 62/contiGP
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

RDY

by RDY

Well it's definitely better looking than the outgoing model. Though I feel like this may have been designed purely to win riderless, bottleless tests ... The old model had a partially shrouded downtube bottle mount. This does away with it, but is "more aero".

Also really weird that's already reviewed but Simplon don't even have a press release on their website about it.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Kaludrob wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm
the weight is not bad tbh
I don't know about that... 7.8kg for a 55cm with DA, a light saddle, and without pedals seems quite heavy

The old benchmark for heavy aero bikes was the SystemSix. Bikeradar's test unit was a 58cm DA that weighed 7.7kg despite the 500g cockpit.

The Simplon seems to be on the heavy end of heavy bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not that weight should even really matter for an aero bike designed around relaxed UCI rules. If you do hilly/mountainous racing, then pick something else that day. If you can only afford one US$13000 bike, then maybe choose a semi-aero model.