New Benchmark aero road bike: Simplon Pride 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

RDY wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:36 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:16 pm
Simplon: makes the arguably fastest frame
Also Simplon: handlebars ranging from 40cm to 44cm

Sure, y'all buy this frame, gain 7w with it and lose far more watts than that by not being as aero as you would be on many other bikes.
Untrue. They do a 380. And you're not going to lose 7watts from going from a 380 to a 400.

Realistically they're never going to offer a 360 as demand would be minuscule and it'd be too many SKUs.

Fairly moot though for most who might be interested as I think none / almost none have been delivered, and they're only available in a few Northern / Central European countries as complete bikes only, with shipping to other countries discouraged. If Simplon could have supplied these in decent number, and sold framesets direct to customers living outside their dealer network, they'd have made a killing.
GCN video references 400 to 440.
I don't know if they'd have made a killing, Ribble have done far more and better on marketing which is what drives sales. I wouldn't even know this bike existed if I wasn't randomly browsing WW at times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

GCN aren't really a reference for very much, and it's wrong. It's 380-440.

Ribble are mainly contained to the UK, though they're trying hard to sell more (direct) overseas.

Also, from what I heard it's not just simple supply issues stopping deliveries of the new aero bike for Ribble ... it's had major quality issues and production is significantly delayed because of it whilst they try to fix it. Which might not be that much of a surprise given that some of their press photos and videos showed some pretty nasty looking prepreg ... I've no idea who the OEM is, but I believe it's different to the ones they usually use.

Lina

by Lina

If they're worried about the amount of SKUs they could just drop 440 (and maybe 420) from the range and add 360.

It's also silly to say there's no demand for 360s when practically no one makes them, especially for integrated solutions.

Robius

by Robius

Lina wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:04 pm
If they're worried about the amount of SKUs they could just drop 440 (and maybe 420) from the range and add 360.

It's also silly to say there's no demand for 360s when practically no one makes them, especially for integrated solutions.
I agree that it's so stupid not to include 360mm bars on an aero bike.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

The wind tunnel test score of PRIDE 2 in TOUR magazine is 199w

cajer

by cajer

ChairmanJiang wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 am
Do you have more info on the other bikes tested at the same session and how they compared?

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

cajer wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am
ChairmanJiang wrote:
Do you have more info on the other bikes tested at the same session and how they compared?

cajer

by cajer

ChairmanJiang wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:58 am
cajer wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am
ChairmanJiang wrote:

Nothing is showing up. Also what wheels/tires was this done with was it the same? As I remember Tour switching away from report results with Zipp 404s.

cajer

by cajer

Ok I bought the magazine. They say 199/201 for the simplon and storck. However the report values don't use standardized equipment and are tested with DT Swiss 62 wheels. When test with the Zipp 404s they are 3 watts slower. Additionally the storck was tested as 1x, when adding a secon chainring it lost another 4 watts slower giving them 202/207 watts respectively.

Looking back at older tests, the cervelo s5 was when 205 watts. However when tested with 404s instead of the supplied wheels it was 3 watts faster giving 202 watts. Bringing it to parity with the simplon.

Looks like the UCI rules relaxations do make the bikes a bit faster than the smaller brands would be able to make otherwise. I expect more complex designs from the big brands to make things even faster maybe 2-4 watts faster than where they are current at.

otnemem

by otnemem

As professional grave digger it is my duty to share Simplon's current/new configurator.
https://www.simplon.com/en/bike-configu ... ic/1176189

Unless their current figures are wayyyy off, I'm confident it's fairly easy to bring a Dura Ace build to 7.00Kg or even less without sacrificing much aero.
Only con for me personally is still the BB86 but might be comfortable with another BBInfinite BB86 for 30mm.

C36

by C36

otnemem wrote:As professional grave digger it is my duty to share Simplon's current/new configurator.
https://www.simplon.com/en/bike-configu ... ic/1176189

Unless their current figures are wayyyy off, I'm confident it's fairly easy to bring a Dura Ace build to 7.00Kg or even less without sacrificing much aero.
Only con for me personally is still the BB86 but might be comfortable with another BBInfinite BB86 for 30mm.
Probably optimistic, that doesn’t include pedals, cages and you can’t change seatpost, stem and bars. If it mattered, you would be left to gain more than 1k just on groupset, saddle and wheels.
My main concern is how the bike ride

otnemem

by otnemem

C36 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:14 pm
Probably optimistic, that doesn’t include pedals, cages and you can’t change seatpost, stem and bars. If it mattered, you would be left to gain more than 1k just on groupset, saddle and wheels.
My main concern is how the bike ride
IF their figure of 7.79Kg for a black size 49 with Dura-Ace (inc computer mount, my stem of choice, no saddle, basic wheelset, etc) is within their 3%, 7Kg is easy peasy. Less if one throws bigger money at it or sacrifices aero.