Latex vs tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oddly none of my current kits have been stained by tubeless sealant. The only kit I own with persistent stains is an old windvest from Endo Customs. Some of my older white team kits have a grayish/brown tint to them just from riding/racing in the rain though.

Anyway to me bikes and kit are meant to be used/thrashed. It’s ok if they aren’t spotless. My bikes all have stone chips and swirl marks in the clear coat.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:58 am
Anyway to me bikes and kit are meant to be used/thrashed. It’s ok if they aren’t spotless. My bikes all have stone chips and swirl marks in the clear coat.
This. As much as we'd like to have all our bike stuff as shiny as before the first ride ever, if you ride regularly, moreso in a changing weather and on roads of various quality, it's just not possible to keep everything in immaculate condition.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Yeah
I mean i take care of my stuff but shit happen
Let's not be drama queen

I loved the speedvagen paying option of first scratch
ahah made me laugh
Don't think no one ever took it but still, it resumes bikes well

maxima

by maxima

I remove my GP 5000 STR 28mm that was fill with 80ml of Silca the past 4 to 5 weeks and all have been dry up. I'm going to try something else as removing all the dry up sealant is a pain and just doesn't make sense.

Latex tubes or Light TPU tubes will be a better choice for people with no time to mess around with dry up sealant every 4 weeks that add 60-80grms to the tyres. The best part is a few local bike shop just suggest topping up? Start with 80ml and Every 4 weeks u top up 40ml-60ml ...by end of 4-5 months you have a road tyre as heavy as MTB :shock:

Technology is not ready and over marketing in a unregulated industry :smartass:

I can understands Tubeless was design to help the bike shop financially!!!!
Attachments
Silca.jpg
Silca (1).jpg
Last edited by maxima on Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

About a year ago I bought GP5000S-TR's and moved one of my road bikes to tubeless, leaving the other one with regular GP5000's and latex tubes. When I got a N+1 "new" bike I decided to stick with latex tubes on it too rather than go tubeless. There are advantages to tubeless, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to me.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

splzd

by splzd

maxima wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 am
I remove my GP 5000 STR 28mm that was fill with 80ml of Silca the past 4 to 5 weeks and all have been dry up. I'm going to try something else as removing all the dry up sealant is a pain and just doesn't make sense.

Latex tubes or Light TPU tubes will be a better choice for people with no time to mess around with dry up sealant every 4 weeks that add 60-80grms to the tyres. The best part is a few local bike shop just suggest topping up? Start with 80ml and Every 4 weeks u top up 40ml-60ml ...by end of 4-5 months you have a road tyre as heavy as MTB :shock:

You shouldn't generalize - maybe Silca's technic isn't ready, but other's is. Silca is known to dry up quickly. Other sealants are still liquid after a few weeks, as it should be. I'm running TL on MTB, CX and Road bikes for a couple of years. I check the sealant level every couple of months. Sometimes I top up, but most of the times the tires are shot before the sealant dries up completely.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

maxima wrote:

Christ almighty, why won’t you guys ever learn and just use Orange Seal? It depends on the tire construction, but I get at least 3 months out of Orange Seal in most tires. At my mileage, that’s roughly the life of the tire. With some tires like Goodyear Eagle F1s, the sealant stays liquid for half a year.

maxima

by maxima

Tobin You using the Orange Seal Endurance or Normal formula. My local bike shops within 1000 miles do not carry orange seal and shipping liquid so far been reject by a few online shops. Let's see where I can get any online shop to ship. Have use Joe's sealant but experience so far is bad, doesn't seal any way!!!

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:57 am
maxima wrote:

Christ almighty, why won’t you guys ever learn and just use Orange Seal? It depends on the tire construction, but I get at least 3 months out of Orange Seal in most tires. At my mileage, that’s roughly the life of the tire. With some tires like Goodyear Eagle F1s, the sealant stays liquid for half a year.

Lina

by Lina

maxima wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:19 pm
Tobin You using the Orange Seal Endurance or Normal formula. My local bike shops within 1000 miles do not carry orange seal and shipping liquid so far been reject by a few online shops. Let's see where I can get any online shop to ship. Have use Joe's sealant but experience so far is bad, doesn't seal any way!!!
Where do you live that you don't have a shop within 1000 miles carry Orange seal. And how many online shops have you tried? I've bought a ton of sealant, and other fluids online and literally never had a problem of getting it shipped.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

80ml for a tire ?
Why would you use 2X the normal amount of a gp5000STR , safety ? just to be sure ?

Strange that it dried and solidified that much, and so fast
I'll asky my mate who has been running some on his gp500Str 25mm on wto
and on the gravel bike for the world championship

I like @TobinHatesyou have had good experience with orange sealant (endurance in my case)
40 45ml by tire , conti gp5000tl and 6 months when I opened them to check, it was still a bit liquid
Only a thin layer had driep under the thread ,and was removed

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
maxima wrote:

Orange Seal regular is good and I've used it for a long time. I've had sealing problems with the endurance version though. What I don't like about Orange Seal is that you have to shake the bottle vigorously and that makes the sealant foam up. It's almost impossible to measure out the right amount of sealant when it's foamed. You could use weight though. OS is not CO2 compatible either. Those two issues are addressed by Milkit sealant, which I'm using now. It doesn’t require shaking and is CO2 compatible and is injectable through the valve. I can't vouch for how good it seals flats yet, as compared to OS nor how fast it dries out. No flats with it yet. Reviews are good.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:40 pm

Orange Seal regular is good and I've used it for a long time. I've had sealing problems with the endurance version though. What I don't like about Orange Seal is that you have to shake the bottle vigorously and that makes the sealant foam up. It's almost impossible to measure out the right amount of sealant when it's foamed. You could use weight though. OS is not CO2 compatible either. Those two issues are addressed by Milkit sealant, which I'm using now. It doesn’t require shaking and is CO2 compatible and is injectable through the valve. I can't vouch for how good it seals flats yet, as compared to OS nor how fast it dries out. No flats with it yet. Reviews are good.

I weigh my sealant. It's easy to do. Orange Seal is just as CO2 compatible as pretty much anything else. They're almost all water and propylene glycol based. If using CO2, inflated with the valve at 12 o'clock. Release all the CO2 when you get home.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

maxima wrote:

Try Tufo tubeless sealant! It's great, i have used many sealants and that includes all three Orange versions.
Every hole i've had using Tufo has been sealed without me even noticing the puncture. I've just seen it at the tire surface afterwards.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dedaciai

by dedaciai

maxima wrote:

This is why I went back to hooked rims, tubeless tires, with latex tubes inside. None of the hassle and added weight gain of sealant. Sure, if you have the time or a mechanic to do all of your stuff for you when you need it (e.g. WT pros) then go right ahead and run tubeless with sealant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:07 pm
I'd guess so too.
If not for more puncture resistance, thicker latex would also lost less air over time. That can be an advantage for ride over 6 hours.

But I also wouldn't worry using the thinner latex tube, if it's cheaper. Afterall, any Vittoria latex tube is way thicker than Vredestein latex tube.
I will ask Vittoria directly, but I am leaning towards buying both sizes to see the differences side by side.
If I´ll fit the bigger tube into tire without problems I´d go that route.