Latex vs tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dedaciai

by dedaciai

[/quote]

Orange Seal rarely makes boogers, so I assume you were using something else?
[/quote]

I use Orange on all of my tubeless set ups. I found that sealant has a tendency to put down a thin, dry layer of sealant tire and when that starts to peal up off of the inside of the tire it tends to make boogers. I do live in the high, desert west of the US so that might make it worse. I also just got tired of cleaning sealant off my road bike frame when the hole to be sealed was just a touch too big to seal quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bjornart

by bjornart

Bowser wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Thanks MikeD. Having not tried them before it's more a case of wanting to experience them. Keen to see if I can feel this 'magic ride quality' people seem to credit them with! I think I'm prepared for the frequent pumping...

As it happens I do race, the last being mid-August when I wiped out in a corner of a crit in the wet, breaking my left hip :x I was running Turbo Cottons with Specialized Turbo Tubes inside. I certainly found the limit of Turbo Cottons in that moment :cry:
Actually, I'm on my 3rd pair of Turbo Cottons 24C. The first 2 pairs were replaced on warranty.
The first pair had a 2-3 cm sidewall break so that the butyl tube was visible. I'm glad I didn't use a latex tube as this could have resulted in an explosion. This was on the rear wheel.
The 2nd pair had the cotton sidewalls break (see picture) but could not see the tube itself. This weas also on the rear wheel.
So I got a 3rd pair on warranty. These have kept up for 6 months now, but I can see a black line on the orange part where the rim bead touch the tyre. I was thinking that my Irwin ICW-58C's had too sharp edges on the rim bead, but these wheels are supposed to support ETRTO standards (at least in 2017 when I got them), which specified a minimum "roundness" of the rim bead.

There have been warnings from some wheel manufacturers to not use their wheels with cotton type tyres because of the danger of sharp rim edges and explosive failure from the sidewalls breaking. For example Enve:
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/enve-co ... -failures/

Picture of 2nd pair:
turbo cotton sidewall 2022-2.jpg

markdjr

by markdjr

Today I had a puncture on road tubeless (silca sealant). It sealed up with minimal pressure loss, but had a huge amount of sealant spray, stained some brand new bibs pretty good. This is the second time in a few years I've gotten a big spray and significant staining. I'm tempted to go back to tubes just to avoid more of this.

DHG01

by DHG01

Challenge with the spill is if it happens downhill/at speed whilst trying to brake.

MikeD

by MikeD

markdjr wrote:Today I had a puncture on road tubeless (silca sealant). It sealed up with minimal pressure loss, but had a huge amount of sealant spray, stained some brand new bibs pretty good. This is the second time in a few years I've gotten a big spray and significant staining. I'm tempted to go back to tubes just to avoid more of this.
I had this today with Orange Seal. The problem is I don't know if this was a new puncture or an old one that let loose. It sealed almost instantly as my tire pressure didn't drop noticeably, but got sealant all over my frame rear triangle yet again. I can't see where the hole was, so it must have been small, like a thorn.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

cleaning the bike no issue
staining my kit = is a non-starter

I have not noticed orange seal staining my kit.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

markdjr wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:37 am
Today I had a puncture on road tubeless (silca sealant). It sealed up with minimal pressure loss, but had a huge amount of sealant spray, stained some brand new bibs pretty good. This is the second time in a few years I've gotten a big spray and significant staining. I'm tempted to go back to tubes just to avoid more of this.
When was the Silca sealant installed? Less than a month ago? There are a number of reports, including mine, in another thread on the Silca sealant that the carbon fiber coagulated into pellets after a few weeks. If we take Silca's claim at face value that those loose carbon fiber suspended in the foamy sealant is supposed to very quickly get to the puncture to seal it, the lack of carbon fiber in the sealant after most of them had coagulated into pellets (mine actually formed three separate clusters of pellets) pokes a big hole in that claim.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 pm

Orange Seal does stain kit… pretty much all sealants do.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 pm

Orange Seal does stain kit… pretty much all sealants do.

guess I've been lucky... because so far it's not been an issue
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:57 am

I think the fabric type and chemical treatment have a significant effect too. I have one black vest that was stained by Orange Seal in 2016 and it still has white spots on the back to this day. My race jerseys/bibs for the most part seem to avoid bad stains.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:38 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:57 am

I think the fabric type and chemical treatment have a significant effect too. I have one black vest that was stained by Orange Seal in 2016 and it still has white spots on the back to this day. My race jerseys/bibs for the most part seem to avoid bad stains.

I used ProOneTT tires for a number of months so I had plenty of chances to stain. I do think my old giro prolight techlaces where actually stained (the meshlike portions), but I had to retire them since the carbon sole was cracking.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kervelo

by kervelo

Yesterday had a front wheel puncture that was very quickly fixed by Orange seal: it was fixed before I could stop the bike. Zero pressure loss, but sealant was sprayed to the down tube and my legs. To my surprise not a single drop to my shoes, socks or bibs. :D

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Question about Vittoria Latex inner tube size.

Sold my tubular wheelset and will order Winspace Hyper 65 (inner width 19mm). Tires will be Michelin TT 23mm, their actual width on those rims should be anywhere between 24-25mm.
Should I buy 700x19-23c or 700x25-28 Vittoria tubes?

My guess is the bigger size should be a bit more puncture resistant due to probably thicker walls when inflated to same pressure.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'd guess so too.
If not for more puncture resistance, thicker latex would also lost less air over time. That can be an advantage for ride over 6 hours.

But I also wouldn't worry using the thinner latex tube, if it's cheaper. Afterall, any Vittoria latex tube is way thicker than Vredestein latex tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Road tubeless users need kits that blend with sealant spray.