New absoluteBLACK OSPW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

ViperFFM wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:04 pm
Tbh I think whoever buys such an inferior product doesnt deserve better.
Pretty toxic mentality. Most consumers do not have the education or ability to discern between products that are said to be more effective vs are actually more effective. We trust brands like Shimano to be more effective when we have little other than our own experiences to gauge them by. Sure we can side-by-side shifting speed between 9100 and 9200 and get a good idea, but in the space of frictional and aerodynamics gains/losses, we have little to gauge it by. This is why I think we're so deeply interested in the data, and upset when data has been manipulated to sell a product rather than improve or enhance the life of the consumer. This data is extremely hard to measure despite its application being so wide—few companies have the means to validate or create their own tests.

I like how the AB OSPW looks, but not okay with the price for solely aesthetics. I don't want to buy it under the false premise of it improving my riding experience, or even worsen it. Without content creators like Hambini, we are left to trust the manufacturer's claims and data. At least with critique and independent studies it offers us the opportunity to make a more informed decision on objective criteria.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

You are correct. Its just hard for me to believe that people who were clever enough in live getting into a position where they can afford such things are not questioning such bold claims. Anyways, I hope AB goes bankcrupt someday and karma gets this clown.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pm
You are correct. Its just hard for me to believe that people who were clever enough in live getting into a position where they can afford such things are not questioning such bold claims. Anyways, I hope AB goes bankcrupt someday and karma gets this clown.
Not asking too many questions is a crucial part of 'getting ahead' for many (if not most) people.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pm
People just buy these things for looks unfortunately

I like my vanity too but not at the expense of functionality, learned that lesson with Nova.

refthimos

by refthimos

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:56 pm
Chiming in here... two guys in the group I ride with have purchased these cages over the summer and both of them have had the retention tabs sheer off during use, resulting in constant chain drops. They got replacement cages from AB and today, one of the guys had the same thing happen again. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Yes, same. Happened to me on my second ride with the Hollowcage. They sent me a replacement cage but I could not in good conscience sell to a fellow rider so it remains in a part box in the garage. Thread here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?pos ... 5#p7556145
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Holy shit they really attack and blame their customers!!! How can this kind of customer service behavior be legal hahaha

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?pos ... 9#p7599049

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

That really isn't what I read from this thread.
The guy had a bad experience with an, arguably flawed, product.
The sent him a replacement as they did assume that the installation or single product was faulty, not the concept of the product in general.
I didn't delve super deep into this, but I don't see what AB has done incorrectly here? The guy claims on the forum that he never had any issue with other OSPW, which is clearly not true! They dismantled his argument pretty well, and they were generous in their customer service.
I don't think it is a great product, but I can't really blame customer service here.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

V3Rs

by V3Rs

All videos are no longer visible...

refthimos

by refthimos

Without rehashing the entire episode, I'll note that AB claimed that based on photos, my chain length was obviously incorrect. I then posted this video showing that not to be the case, and there was no response https://vimeo.com/612890966.

I've ridden >50,000 miles on Ceramicspeed OSPWs. Other than my track bike, which collects dust these days, I have them on all my bikes (currently on 4). What I said - which remains true - is that I had never experienced a similar issue (chain derailling off jockey wheel) with the Ceramicspeed OSPW or any other RD cage for that matter. The failure that AB dug up by combing through IG posts was completely unrelated to the AB failure. Ceramicspeed worked with me to diagnose the issue, it was corrected, and I remain a loyal customer to this day (with zero other issues).

So yes, I've experienced one unrelated issue with the Ceramicspeed OSPW over more than 50,000 miles of riding. The AB OSPW broke on its second ride, after 50 miles of use. AB never responded to the chain length issue they tried to blame and they never explained their assertion that use of a (Sigeyi) direct mount derailleur hanger would increase the chance of failure (I'm genuinely puzzled by that one).

I'm lucky enough that mechanicals are an exceedingly rare occurence for me. But when they do happen, I'm not the type to claim "JRA!" unless it really was a JRA situtation. When I managed to break my Knot64 rear wheel after just 118 miles, I didn't claim "JRA" when I inquired with Cannondale about purchasing a replacement. Instead, I sent them a video (slow-mo and all) showing the metal object that destroyed the wheel: https://vimeo.com/325358829.

Final thought: Other than the Hollowcage, I have never, ever, ever had a problem with a chain derailling or otherwise jamming and breaking a RD cage, whether with the Ceramicspeed OSPW or stock RD cages, going back to my first road bike with Shimano 600 back in 1990. Yet the AB cage broke 50 miles in, I've seen a broken Hollowcage for sale on eBay, and CrankAddictsRich notes that both of his friends who bought the Hollowcage had their retaining tab break off just like I did. So it seems I'm not alone.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

refthimos wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:25 pm
CrankAddictsRich notes that both of his friends who bought the Hollowcage had their retaining tab break off just like I did. So it seems I'm not alone.
Two of my friends got them over the summer and they were both installed by the same mechanic.... One experienced numerous chain drops on the first ride, the other was away on vacation and did not ride it right away. The mechanic reached out to AB and they said there appeared to have been some defect with the Hollowcage that had been dropping the chain. When the mechanic showed the second one that had yet to be ridden, to AB, they said it also showed the same defect. I was not part of this discussion or emails, but I'm just relaying what has been told to me. AB told him to destroy both Hollwocages and they would send him new ones. He did and they did. He installed both of the new ones on my respective friend's bikes. The next day, friend #2, who hadn't had a chance to ride his previously installed hollowcage, went out on a ride and he too began suffering from frequent chain drops and ultimately the retention tab sheared off.

The mechanic swears he did everything exactly as the AB directions state and so I thought this was a pretty bad track record. I posted here to see if anyone else had experienced any similar issues and it seems as if at least one person has.

guanxi

by guanxi

Worked in a bike shop for some time and saw the same thing happening to one of the customers

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Cool on paper, but proprietary parts call for proprietary nightmares.