lekki 8 clones

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

There's another thread about these on the front page of this forum with pics from someone that bought a set lol

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

spartacus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:31 pm
There's another thread about these on the front page of this forum with pics from someone that bought a set lol

Can you supply a link for us lazy ppl

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Take a look at the Ciamillo Brakes - Warning! thread as a couple of forum members have placed orders and one person has reported receiving them.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

eurostar

by eurostar

They're not clones. Read the Ciamillo warning thread...

Mine have cleared customs. Maybe I'll get them next week. The Aliexpress listing says 12 pairs have been sold. There are two reviews quoted.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

eurostar wrote:They're not clones. Read the Ciamillo warning thread...

Mine have cleared customs. Maybe I'll get them next week. The Aliexpress listing says 12 pairs have been sold. There are two reviews quoted.
I would like to see some higher definition photos of the ones from Ali - I remain to be convinced they are the same …. But would be delighted to be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

The prices for these on AliExpress is tempting but hope these are not junk items that will crack when tightening

spartacus

by spartacus

Beancouter wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:18 pm
eurostar wrote:They're not clones. Read the Ciamillo warning thread...

The hardware is different and the shape is different between these so :|

eurostar

by eurostar

They can't possibly be clones. Use some logical deduction and the penny will drop that nobody would make clones. Think about the economics of the clone industry. Look at the price and complexity of these, compared with other cloned bicycle parts. Think about the Alibaba policy on IP and cloning. (You don't know what it is, do you?) Think about how Ted's business practices would affect his supplier relationships. Think about how bad his cashflow must be to cheat so many people.

The differences you see in the photos are completely insignificant. Camera lenses are different, they have different focal length, you know this from foreshortening in sports photos and so on. Frankly it's just brain dead to conclude the shape is different. (If that's how terrible your judgement is, how did you ever learn to ride a bike? Maybe you still have stabilizers.)

You're comparing photos from a 3 year old review with 2021 production. The hardware is not custom made, it's all off the shelf. These are low production items, hand assembled, hand finished in a Chinese workshop. They haven't come off the Shimano production line. So of course there will be minor differences in hardware and finish. It's absurd to base all your conclusions on such trivial evidence.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

eurostar wrote:They can't possibly be clones. Use some logical deduction and the penny will drop that nobody would make clones. Think about the economics of the clone industry. Look at the price and complexity of these, compared with other cloned bicycle parts. Think about the Alibaba policy on IP and cloning. (You don't know what it is, do you?) Think about how Ted's business practices would affect his supplier relationships. Think about how bad his cashflow must be to cheat so many people.

The differences you see in the photos are completely insignificant. Camera lenses are different, they have different focal length, you know this from foreshortening in sports photos and so on. Frankly it's just brain dead to conclude the shape is different. (If that's how terrible your judgement is, how did you ever learn to ride a bike? Maybe you still have stabilizers.)

You're comparing photos from a 3 year old review with 2021 production. The hardware is not custom made, it's all off the shelf. These are low production items, hand assembled, hand finished in a Chinese workshop. They haven't come off the Shimano production line. So of course there will be minor differences in hardware and finish. It's absurd to base all your conclusions on such trivial evidence.
I look forward to seeing some high resolution photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wantax

by Wantax

Bought a pair two weeks ago and received on Monday the rear one cracked in the pads support interface after only 2 rides,, same problem already saw in the forun with originals... Waiting atm for seller to answer my dispute for get a refund....

Run away of them

Last edited by Wantax on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maddie

by Maddie

Some manufacturer in China obviously produced for Ted the main bits and he assembled the parts including his own bolts and spring. Hence the small difference as pointed out by eurostar. He probably couldn’t pay his supplier anymore and they now assemble what is left including their own spring and bolts and sell all themselves. But now that the same damage problem appears, they have to deal with that themselves. I’m sure the Aliexpress listings will disappear quickly.

If they were clones, wouldn’t Ted be the very first to put a warning on his website? I’m sure he is well aware of the Aliexpress listings but no word from him. So?

eurostar

by eurostar

Wantax wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am
Bought a pair two weeks ago and received on Monday the rear one cracked in the pads support interface after only 2 rides,, same problem already saw in the forun with originals... Waiting atm for seller to answer my dispute for get a refund....

Run away of them
That's a shame. :( Could we have a pic of the crack please? It would be really helpful.

eurostar

by eurostar

Wantax wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:01 am

Run away of them
What do you mean by 'pads support interface'? Can you provide a link to the other similar case on the forum? I am trying to find out exactly where the cracks have happened. Perhaps it's possible to reinforce the weak areas. It's very frustrating that the many descriptions of the cracks are so vague and ambiguous. I'm starting to wonder if half of them are fictitious.

spartacus

by spartacus

eurostar wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:42 am
They can't possibly be clones. Use some logical deduction and the penny will drop that nobody would make clones. Think about the economics of the clone industry. Look at the price and complexity of these, compared with other cloned bicycle parts. Think about the Alibaba policy on IP and cloning. (You don't know what it is, do you?) Think about how Ted's business practices would affect his supplier relationships. Think about how bad his cashflow must be to cheat so many people.

All I'm saying is that the two sets of brakes in the photos have clearly different shaped and sized triangular cutouts at the tops, and arm angles. If those photos are supposed to be evidence that the chinese ones aren't knockoffs (and I'm not saying they are or aren't) it's not convincing whatsoever. Again the shape is obviously and clearly different.

Accusing me of terrible judgement and being brain dead when I'm a mechanical design engineer and you're some rando buying chinese made brakes from alibaba. It's rich. RICH I tell you. :D

eurostar

by eurostar

Mine have arrived, and I owe you an apology because they are indeed a completely different shape! :oops:
The short side of the top section, where the outer cable ends, is at about 90 degrees to the caliper. On the RBR ones it's about 20 degrees more. So there is only enough clearance for narrow rims and tyres, compared to the RBR ones. So if these are not clones (and I don't see how they can be) they must be a narrow rim version of the Lekki8.

The finish of almost all the parts looks cheaper than the RBR ones...the carbon, the cast parts, the spring and the bright metal fasteners. The spring in particular looks like it came from the cheapest possible source. But the weight is 137 inc pad holders, which I suppose might be a little reassuring? Maybe the parts are made of the same grade of material, but the budget has been cut by not paying for polishing/brushing/anodizing?

I don't know...I'm not optimistic that these brakes will last long. I don't think anyone who saw these next to the EEs would ever pick them, except demented gram counters. I'm going to play safe by disassembling them before I fit them. My rims are only 20mm wide so they ought to go on OK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com