Chainstay length, does is effect balance point and saddle setback from one frame to the next?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

gSporco wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:40 am
gSporco wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:24 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:09 am

No change needed, but that isn't why i write in your thread!
I am curious on what road bike you're going for :) ?
Lol.. well I didn't want to say anything because Inwas on the fence on building it or not :)

But its an SWorks Aethos in beautiful Jet Fuel ( you can see all the carbon layup in the light)

Besides the head angle and chainstay length it's nearly identical stack and reach as my Aspero

Im on the fence because I secretly want the new R5 in flat black and white logo (if that will even be an option); or an S5 in that same color. But I am crazy!
Aethos... you can't really mean it's close to Aspero in geometry?
Specialized IMO went nuts with the geo on this model. It's not aimed at racers, still it's very long in reach.
395mm in size 56!
Well, i guess it might have it's appeal due to it's lightness!?
Personally i don't like the design at all. Are you thinking of the all new R5 with no release date?
S5D is surely a cool bike. Might be the only aero bike i actually would buy if i ever bought any.
Otherwise i would go for Factor Vam 02 over Aethos, but that's just me :wink:
It's sure great fun building a new bike, i hope you pick the one you like most :-)
Its definitely not everyones cup of tea and I am not sure its mine either. Was able to get it for a steel, so I figured what the heck, can always sell and not lose my money.
Size 51 Aspero 530 stack 379 reach
size 52 Aethos 527 stack 380 reach
Head angle is 1 degree steeper and the chain stays are 10mm shorter.

Yes the new unreleased R5, but ill take the current R5 as well in matte black. The S5d is very appealing to me, but I don't race, and mostly climb where I live... so my 16mph average speed rides will be pretty pathetic on an S5D. But who am I kidding, 16mph average is pathetic for me no matter what lol
Never thought these two were so alike!
Well, i think you should look for a bike you really are interested in. Or maybe a so called steal, is key for you?
These days i try to skip all stuff i'm not really really interested in. But that's me ofcourse.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

gSporco wrote:
Besides the head angle and chainstay length it's nearly identical stack and reach as my Aspero
See, that's what I'm talking about. Front centre on the Aethos 51 is 15mm shorter than the Aspero. Any consideration of any relevant form of 'balance' would need to take that into account in addition to chainstay length anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:33 pm
gSporco wrote:
See, that's what I'm talking about. Front centre on the Aethos 51 is 15mm shorter than the Aspero. Any consideration of any relevant form of 'balance' would need to take that into account in addition to chainstay length anyway.
Please do explain the front center to me? What considerations should I make. Thank You
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Karvalo

by Karvalo

gSporco wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm
Karvalo wrote:
gSporco wrote:
Please do explain the front center to me? What considerations should I make. Thank You
Distance between bb and front axle. Basically the complement to chainstay length. Again no effect on balance as you were meaning it but one factor among many in handling and weight distribution between the wheels.

gSporco

by gSporco

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:48 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm
Karvalo wrote:
gSporco wrote:
Distance between bb and front axle. Basically the complement to chainstay length. Again no effect on balance as you were meaning it but one factor among many in handling and weight distribution between the wheels.
Thank you, appreciate this.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero