Long legs. Short torso

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fubar

by Fubar

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Treks that have H2 geometry. Cervelo Caledonia (/5). Try to use at a maximum -6* stem. 0* stems also exist. Short reach bars with 70mm/80mm reach and shallow drop - 120mm/130mm. 0 offset seatpost. All these will help a bit too. Taller stack, short reach, sloped top tube. Without a sloped top tube stand over gets a bit high with taller stack.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fubar

by Fubar

Okay. Thanks.. i want to have a look on that cervelo. Good idea?

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

woodyvalentine wrote:Treks that have H2 geometry. Cervelo Caledonia (/5). Try to use at a maximum -6* stem. 0* stems also exist. Short reach bars with 70mm/80mm reach and shallow drop - 120mm/130mm. 0 offset seatpost. All these will help a bit too. Taller stack, short reach, sloped top tube. Without a sloped top tube stand over gets a bit high with taller stack.
I'd correct two things here: the H2 geometry is pretty much gone from Trek road lineup, inky the Emonda ALR still has it. The carbon Emonda and the Madone have the H1.5 geo, while the domaine (which should fit op the best) is H3.

As for the zero offset seatpost... Actually the opposite might be necessary with long legs, depending how long your femur is. Anything with less than 20mm of offset will need me to slide the saddle waaaayyy back.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Fubar wrote:Okay. Thanks.. i want to have a look on that cervelo. Good idea?
It could probably do with that 58cm stack, 38.7 reach, but it won't leave you a lot of room for adjustability like a full endurance bike would do.

Etienne

by Etienne

ToileySiphon wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:23 pm
As for the zero offset seatpost... Actually the opposite might be necessary with long legs, depending how long your femur is. Anything with less than 20mm of offset will need me to slide the saddle waaaayyy back.
Riders with short torsoes need less setback, even if they have long legs, just to have a good balance over the bike and not all the weight over the rear axle :idea:

This article of Steve Hoggs is very interesting with regard to this topic ... https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

ToileySiphon wrote:
woodyvalentine wrote:Treks that have H2 geometry. Cervelo Caledonia (/5). Try to use at a maximum -6* stem. 0* stems also exist. Short reach bars with 70mm/80mm reach and shallow drop - 120mm/130mm. 0 offset seatpost. All these will help a bit too. Taller stack, short reach, sloped top tube. Without a sloped top tube stand over gets a bit high with taller stack.
I'd correct two things here: the H2 geometry is pretty much gone from Trek road lineup, inky the Emonda ALR still has it. The carbon Emonda and the Madone have the H1.5 geo, while the domaine (which should fit op the best) is H3.

Yes, I know Trek has phased out H2. But could find an older model within past few years. Was also mentioned didn't have to be a brand new bike.

Zero seatpost was to just help reach overall. Fore/aft is largely personal so whatever works works.

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Etienne wrote:
ToileySiphon wrote:
Riders with short torsoes need less setback, even if they have long legs, just to have a good balance over the bike and not all the weight over the rear axle :idea:

This article of Steve Hoggs is very interesting with regard to this topic ... https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/
Depends on a couple of factors. With terrible ankle mobility like I have, going over kops results in instant kneecap issues. Hence the need for more setback. That said, I found my sweetspot using exactly the method described by Steve Hogg.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I have an 86.5 inseam and am 177cm tall so much like the OP. I struggled with bike fit for 30 years. The missing part of my equation is that my lower legs are proprtionaly long. I have finally arrived at a bike I can do 20 min intervals in the saddle without discomfort. I have a 55 Canyon Endurace, with a zero offset seatpost and a Syncros Belcarra saddle (which actually puts you even farther forward). Saddle setback is 6.4cm. Stem is a 120 Ritchey stem with a 42cm Easton SLX handlebar. Again, my LONG lower leg length always made it impossible to get even close to KOPS with a standard seatpost without jamming the saddle all the way forward on the rails so I never did it because it looked lame.

DaveS

by DaveS

I have an 83cm cycling inseam and 73cm saddle height, with a height of 168cm. Most bikes in my size have a 74 or 74.5 degree STA. My latest Cinelli superstars have a 74.5. With a 32mm setback post, my saddle is centered over the clamp. I can get by with a 25mm setback too.

jlok

by jlok

Etienne wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 pm
ToileySiphon wrote:

Yes, but a custom bike is the even better answer to address long legs/short torso and good balance over the bike. I didn't know it until I went custom. It's like going to tailor. What a revelation.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robertbb

by robertbb

DaveS wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:03 pm
I have an 83cm cycling inseam and 73cm saddle height, with a height of 168cm. Most bikes in my size have a 74 or 74.5 degree STA. My latest Cinelli superstars have a 74.5. With a 32mm setback post, my saddle is centered over the clamp. I can get by with a 25mm setback too.
How does ANY of this help the OP?

Your posts are just as nauseatingly all about you and nothing to do with the topic as they were over a year ago when I last wasted 20 minutes on this ridiculous forum.

eurostar

by eurostar

What do you mean by overstretched?

Does your seatpost have any layback? Layback is also known as setback or offset. A straight seatpost has no layback. Most of them are like that. But some have a top which curves back to move the saddle back, usually by 25mm. Here's a seatpost with 25mm of layback. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-superlegg ... -seat-post

Layback is often helpful for people with long legs and short arms/torso.

pmprego

by pmprego

And this is why you also need to go to a professional bike fitter (even though they also make mistakes). But you just got yourself opposite recommendations.
Layback is helpful and unhelpful for people with long legs and short torso/arms.

Etienne

by Etienne

jlok wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:29 am
Etienne wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:57 pm
ToileySiphon wrote:

Yes, but a custom bike is the even better answer to address long legs/short torso and good balance over the bike. I didn't know it until I went custom. It's like going to tailor. What a revelation.
Body balance is independant of the bike, it's mainly the relationship between your center of gravity and the contact points, mostly saddle and pedals ... you can add handlebar but it's secondary in my opninion. Then you have to match your body balance and the bike, and yes, custom becomes a solution, but doesn't lead to more setback.

What is important is that, for very long legged riders, reduced setback is not needed to achieve a short reach, but because, as Steve Hoggs illustrates it, a short torso creates a very different balance compared to a long torso.

Believe me, I know what it is to have a short torso, my inseam is 93cm for a total height of 183cm :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com