11-32 cassette for Shimano Di2 9150

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fred12

by Fred12

Dear all,
I would like to mount a 11-32 cassette on my rear wheel and use it with my Shimano Di2 9150 SS gear shift which I recently installed on my Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6. I am currently running a 11-30 Shimano Dura Ace cassette with front 53-39 chainrings. In order to shift 11-32 with Di2 9150 SS I am planning to install a CeramicSpeed OSPW Can anyone recommend my a good light weight 11-32 cassette that would work with this setup? I do not want to buy Ultegra 11-32 because too heavy. I was looking at the FSA KForce 11-32 cassette? Also could you please tell me if Shimano E-TUBE is having a 11-32 configuration option? And if not how would I bring it to my Garmin 520? I learned to appreciate that my Garmin 520 is displaying the Di2 gear combinations.
Thanks in advance!

KCookie

by KCookie

Sram cassette would be a good option. They weigh approx 196g. I used one with DA 9150.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you care about maximizing shift quality and noise levels then go ultegra cassette.

If you want to reduce weight then the sram cassette is nice and also very durable. Those cassettes even pair well with aluminum freehubs which save weight.

The alloy pulley wheels in that new cage are likely going to be noisier. You will need a new chain too.

I don't think that cage can increase your derailleur's cassette size compatibility. Shimano specify 30t max for that derailleur but you can run a 34/36 cassette too, with the original cage. Not straying too far from the intended cassette size will help to preserve shift quality.

In your shoes I would keep the 11-30t cassette and simply swap the small chainring for a 36t. That will give you an easier gear than that 32t cassette will provide and you will save weight and tons of money.

Fred12

by Fred12

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:43 am
If you care about maximizing shift quality and noise levels then go ultegra cassette.

If you want to reduce weight then the sram cassette is nice and also very durable. Those cassettes even pair well with aluminum freehubs which save weight.

The alloy pulley wheels in that new cage are likely going to be noisier. You will need a new chain too.

I don't think that cage can increase your derailleur's cassette size compatibility. Shimano specify 30t max for that derailleur but you can run a 34/36 cassette too, with the original cage. Not straying too far from the intended cassette size will help to preserve shift quality.

In your shoes I would keep the 11-30t cassette and simply swap the small chainring for a 36t. That will give you an easier gear than that 32t cassette will provide and you will save weight and tons of money.
Hello Alcatraz,
thanks. I am anyway not sure if I should really go for a Ceramicspeed OSPW system. Some say that it does not decrease shifting quality and it is very quiete. Regarding switching to a small 36t front chainring this is probably what I will do now. However, to my knowledge front chainrings 53-36 is not an officially permitted Shimano combination. You can only combine front chainrings with the same letter code endings: 52 (MT) - 36 (MT) and 53 (MW) - 39 (MW). So I will need to go to 52-36 from 53-39. With 52-36 I will have the issue that the Dura Ace 9150 E-Tube software will not allow me to use the two smallest sockets anymore for shifting (36-11/12). They will be locked. Do you know how to override the Dura Ace 9150 so that still all gears are shifted? There is supposed to be a way but it seems to be very complicated. In any case I find it a shame from Shimano that they ask so much money for Dura Ace 9150 electronic shifting and at the end the client is loosing two gears in comparison to manual shifting. Not a well engineered product. I did not know this when I bought the Dura Ace 9150 components. I went to 53 (MW) - 39 (MW) on purpose because there is no gear lock limitation with this front chainring combination. I was on 52-36 when I did the Dura Ace 9150 upgrade. However, I have no discovered that during training rides on steep climbs I would need to be able to pedal 39-32 to keep a desent hight training frequency.

Prawn

by Prawn

@Fred12, I had an SL6 with 9170. In the alpes, I wanted to run compact cranks and 11-32 but had the same concern as you. The solution turned out to be simple: The real limit is tooth capcity (which will be exceeded if you end up in big/big). You can guarantee that the system will be kept within the tooth capacity if you program the synchroshift to ensure that a front sift occurs before you exceed the capacity. I used an ultegra 11-32 cassette in an otherwise dura ace setup; absolutely flawless shifting and no problems; synchroshift meant that I didn't have to worry about it.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

Fred12 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:35 am
With 52-36 I will have the issue that the Dura Ace 9150 E-Tube software will not allow me to use the two smallest sockets anymore for shifting (36-11/12). They will be locked. Do you know how to override the Dura Ace 9150 so that still all gears are shifted? There is supposed to be a way but it seems to be very complicated. In any case I find it a shame from Shimano that they ask so much money for Dura Ace 9150 electronic shifting and at the end the client is loosing two gears in comparison to manual shifting. Not a well engineered product. I did not know this when I bought the Dura Ace 9150 components.
The two gears you are losing are redundant with your big chainring and you really shouldn't be using those combinations anyway, especially the 11t. Shimano locks them out so that you can use a large cassette that otherwise would exceed the wrapping capacity of the derailleur. You may not like the lockout, but it's not an indication of poor engineering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm running a Rotor Uno 11-30 with my 105 group and shifting is smooth and low noise, also super light (163g). They offer an 11-32 option.
IMG_3962.jpeg