Schwalbe Aerothan - Long-term Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I've been running Schwalbe Aerothan tubes in two road bikes since January 2021. Since then, I've logged approximately 5,130 super smooth mixed surface miles without a single problem (smooth riding, not necessarily smooth tarmac). That is until yesterday when my metal valve-stem extender blew off while removing my push-on Presta valve pump head just before going out on a ride.

Since the Aerothan tubes have a 40mm plastic valve, I need to use extenders with my deep carbon wheels.The plastic/metal interface is the weakest link, and can lead to thread fatigue when using a pump with a screw-on head. From time to time, I noticed the valve extender twisting (over tightening) when threading on my track pump (my travel pump). I'm certain that it over tightened from time to time as I noticed it twisting in place, which I believe caused the plastic threads to weaken. This ultimately lead to complete failure yesterday when using a press on pump head, which required a new tube to be fitted. Thank God it didn't happen while on a fast descent!

Overall, the tubes seem very durable. I haven't had a single puncture with the fitted tubes, and the spares I carry on every ride show no signs of abrasion from the constant vibration in the saddle bag.

Sadly, it seems the weakest link is the plastic valve stem if using metal valve extenders. One could argue I am the weakest link because I allowed the track pump to twist the extenders, but for $35 a piece, I would hope for a more durable solution to this problem.

Unless I can find a way to ensure the valve extenders don't fatigue the fitted stems, I will likely not buy them again once my current inventory is depleted.

Ride safe! :beerchug:
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

StanK

by StanK

There is a version with 80 mm valve. Revoloop too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

StanK wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:44 pm
Nice! I didn't know that. Only 40ish mm was available when I stocked up last Fall.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Cannoli

by Cannoli

StanK wrote:
Hmmm, can't seem to find them. Link for Aerothan's?

tomtom

by tomtom

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 pm
I've been running Schwalbe Aerothan tubes in two road bikes since January 2021. Since then, I've logged approximately 5,130 super smooth mixed surface miles without a single problem (smooth riding, not necessarily smooth tarmac). That is until yesterday when my metal valve-stem extender blew off while removing my push-on Presta valve pump head just before going out on a ride.

Since the Aerothan tubes have a 40mm plastic valve, I need to use extenders with my deep carbon wheels.The plastic/metal interface is the weakest link, and can lead to thread fatigue when using a pump with a screw-on head. From time to time, I noticed the valve extender twisting (over tightening) when threading on my track pump (my travel pump). I'm certain that it over tightened from time to time as I noticed it twisting in place, which I believe caused the plastic threads to weaken. This ultimately lead to complete failure yesterday when using a press on pump head, which required a new tube to be fitted. Thank God it didn't happen while on a fast descent!

Overall, the tubes seem very durable. I haven't had a single puncture with the fitted tubes, and the spares I carry on every ride show no signs of abrasion from the constant vibration in the saddle bag.

Sadly, it seems the weakest link is the plastic valve stem if using metal valve extenders. One could argue I am the weakest link because I allowed the track pump to twist the extenders, but for $35 a piece, I would hope for a more durable solution to this problem.

Unless I can find a way to ensure the valve extenders don't fatigue the fitted stems, I will likely not buy them again once my current inventory is depleted.

They are very smooth but I had 3(!) punctures in a very short time. I'm riding GP5000 and had (almost) never flats before and after Aerothan's. Nothing sticks so reparing is not an option and Schwalbe themselves cannot deliver the right patches. Latex in the tube is not possible; it dries out very quickly. 80mm is not(!) available on the internet and/or in the Netherlands. So all in all; I'm back to butyl & liquid latex!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Cannoli

by Cannoli

tomtom wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 pm
Cannoli wrote:

80mm is not(!) available on the internet and/or in the Netherlands.
This is what I've found in recent searches. No 80mm Aerothan's. I haven't tried latex yet. That may be the next experiment.

usr

by usr

Similar experience here, the plastic threads are a weakness. No surprise that the orange one has eventually started gluing in the valves. They just just accept the tiny extra manufacturing cost and mold in aluminium threads, and while they are at it go "one size fits none" with a stem that's so short that you can't ride it without extension even in the flattest rims (basically like the s-tubo mtb). Why would you want to carry all those redundant tube stem centimeters around?

Regarding patchability, after my first puncture (which ended in a hilariously silly series of thread failures which eventually forced me to retreat on foot) I did a dry run, patching the tube and installing it in some old wheel. The first few weeks it had air loss roughly comparable to the live tubes (yes, before each ride I inflated three tires), but then it eventually stopped holding air. Apparently the bond is aging even when the wheel is not in use, so the patches (Schwalbe in this case) are more ride finishers than money savers. I guess I might repeat that experiment one day with the third gen Tubolito patch kit that adds some glue (originally intend for PVC I think?) to the process.

RDY

by RDY

Rode about 2700km in NL without a puncture. Loved them.

Eastern Med on bad roads, 2 punctures in 2 weeks. I'd run them again somewhere with good roads and little debris, but TL (and potentially foam inserts) is the only way here ...

Mocs123

by Mocs123

None of the reviews I have read have anything positive to say about the ability to patch TPU tubes and until they figure that out, it will be the downfall of a $35 inner-tube. So far I've stuck with latex in my disc brake bike and light butyl (75g) in my rim brake bike.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

StanK

by StanK

Cannoli wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 pm
StanK wrote:
Hmmm, can't seem to find them. Link for Aerothan's?
Hmmm, possible. In stock I only see revoloop 60mm (in some EU site that I regularly visit). Which probably wasn't enough for OP.
In short, wait until the end of the year; or 30 days, if you fancy Revoloop (I don't see why not - use them for 2 years, no problem).

tabl10s

by tabl10s

80mm Tubolito's are used in my Roval 64's.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Yoln

by Yoln

Pretty bad experience here as well.

I am not sure if it is bad luck or not. But just like last year when I went through 3 punctures in less than 2 weeks with Tubolitos on Vitoria Corsas.

This year decided to give it another go at PU tubes with Aerothans in Turbo Cottons. Once again, the experience didn't last long. Both front and rear tubes were punctured within a week. Both time it was a smal glass shard, not very deep, but deep enough to get a slowly deflating tyre (about 2mins I'd say). It's likely that I would have had the same issue with regular tubes. Definitely wouldn't have been an issue with tubeless though

That's my 2 cents. Not statistically significant, but enough for me to not use them ever again

On the bright side, the ride felt insanely good paired with cotton sidewall tyres
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

spud

by spud

no dog in this fight but punctures seem to happen in clusters. Went 3 years without a puncture, then had 3 in the span of 2 weeks. resorted to removing tire to see if there was a radial tire strand stuck in the carcass, could never find anything. Oh well.

Yoln

by Yoln

I would agree with you if it was not on two different tyres...

I have learned to check/clean my tyres thoroughly after a puncture
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

akaspin

by akaspin

Cannoli wrote:
Did you try to put a bit of blue loctite on extender threads? I'm using Revoloop with 80mm stems with Lezyne pump. The pump head screws on valve core threads. In the beginning pump head sometimes unscrew the core. After I started to use loctite the problem disappears.