Chain riding on top of cassette when turning cranks backwards

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Hi all,

I've just installed a new SRAM Red 11-speed cassette (XG-1190) and PC-22 chain but I'm experiencing an issue.

When the chain is on the big chainring and the 11 or 12 tooth cog in the back, if I turn the cranks backward the chain gets picked up by a single tooth on the 12T and 13T cog and shortly after falls into place again. The issue is gone if I'm in the 13T cog.

The rear derailleur is properly adjusted, the derailleur hanger is aligned, and I've tried to remove and install the cassette again, and everything seems to be alright.

When riding shifting is precise and fast and everything works. Since the cassette is machined from a single block of aluminum the cogs can't sit crooked unless there's a manufacturing fault.

I'm using a Kogel Kolossos pully cage setup in the standard tension setting.

Does anyone have the same issue? Maybe it's just because the chain line isn't straight when I'm in the 2 smallest cogs.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Does it do it if you turn the bike upside down

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Zakalwe wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:43 pm
Does it do it if you turn the bike upside down
Yes, still does it when the bike is upside down.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I had a similar issue in the sixth cog on my 11s Red. Shifting was good etc.

Turned out the RD hanger was slightly loose. Once I tightened it to the frame everything was grand.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

1190 cassette isn't Aluminum.

Since we're now down a Rabbit Hole...

How many times has this chain been cut-short and then added links in order to save this chain?

Was a Lock Ring installed?

Was the Lock Ring installed finger-tight or, with a breaker-bar and wait until a 'crunch'??

Was a washer put behind the cassette? Not that there's any reason for it, wuz there tho??

Is this a home-made bike, welded from hanging a seat and seatpost off a roof-rafter then, attaching tubes to it? I'd check the blueprints, just to be sure measured tube-lengths pre lug insert are within tolerance. If it's all-good, return the Lugs. Make a stink about it.

Has this bike been run over, more than once, by a City Bus??

And lastly, are the wheel and freehub bearings catching, feeling out of round, missing dustcovers??

Either way or, all way, something has a major defect.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

tomato

by tomato

Don't pedal backwards. Problem solved.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's relatively common with short chainstays and SRAM cassettes. The teeth on SRAM cassettes are beefy in comparison to Shimano.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

MarshMellow wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Either way or, all way, something has a major defect.
Or not, since this issue is more or less inherent to a derailer drivetrain. There's nothing guiding the chain onto the cogs in reverse.

If it was a Shimano RD, you could probably try increasing the spring tension on the cage, don't think SRAM derailers have an extra spring hole.

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

Kimmoth wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:56 am

Or not, since this issue is more or less inherent to a derailer drivetrain. There's nothing guiding the chain onto the cogs in reverse.

If it was a Shimano RD, you could probably try increasing the spring tension on the cage, don't think SRAM derailers have an extra spring hole.
Or, end what fascination is had with constantly doing manuals over speed bumps and start riding longer chainstays.

Kids; Brain-damaged people with the nerve to look surprised.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:45 pm
It's relatively common with short chainstays and SRAM cassettes. The teeth on SRAM cassettes are beefy in comparison to Shimano.
Yupp, you're right on!
To be honest, i have a few DA cassettes and i surely admit they are less hesitant and shift better (on my road bike).
I also have a few Edco cassettes, but i haven't been using them for a few years.
I think Sram are more in need of keeping the chain lubricated. Otherwise drivetrain suffers a bit more from noise.
Finally, yes i have a short chainstays.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com