SRM Origin Carbon Crankset anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moock

by moock

So I want a Spider based Powermeter. P2M fit in my budget.
But I am also not sure if my cranklength is the best for my bike fit.

Now I'm thinking of getting the SRM Powermeter with the cranks where you can change the length from 170-172,5-175. But it is 2000€ vs P2M with Aldhu Carbon is about 700-800€.

Does anyone have experience with the change able crankset from SRM? I wonder especially about durability. How does the system work?

Hope to get some input :-)

jphu

by jphu

get fitted and figure out which crank length works best for you. then get a quarq dfour or dzero. that's my advice :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Several of us here have had or have Origins. There is a thread on them as well. Personally I have always had great luck with mine and I abused it and traveled with it a good amount. No complaints from me on durability.

Depending on how you use it and if you get the carbon version it will get scuffed and marked on the clear coat. Some folks have re finished their arms others (me) have not :)
Just ride ..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have the straight 165mm version.. but its not any cheaper, just does not have the trilobe.

So far it's been solid.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

johnrho

by johnrho

I too have the 165mm THM carbon arms - they’re custom ordered from SRM and took months to make.

The carbon arms that come with the Origin have a clear coat so its shiny. The THM arms are matte black. I put a strip of clear Gorilla tape on each arm (from pedal axle hole to axle) to protect the finish ..kinda anal about my stuff lol.

If you get it..I suggest getting the K-Edge chain catcher with the cadence magnet so you don’t stick on the magnet underneath/side of the bottom bracket on the frame.

Solid PM and worth the money - adds the extra bling touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrho

by johnrho

johnrho wrote:I too have the 165mm THM carbon arms - they’re custom ordered from SRM and took months to make.

The carbon arms that come with the Origin have a clear coat so its shiny. The THM arms are matte black. I put a strip of clear Gorilla tape on each arm (from pedal axle hole to axle) to protect the finish ..kinda anal about my stuff lol.

If you get it..I suggest getting the K-Edge chain catcher with the cadence magnet so you don’t stick on the magnet underneath/side of the bottom bracket on the frame.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The THM arms. Ohhh how I love thee.
Just ride ..

bas

by bas

I’ve always used 172.5 and have experimented with 170. The Origin does make it easy to try different lengths.
Also look great, light and extremely reliable.

Hanibal74

by Hanibal74

johnrho wrote:I too have the 165mm THM carbon arms - they’re custom ordered from SRM and took months to make.

May I ask who you spoke to about the 165 crank length? I messaged THM about 5 months ago and I was told that the smallest mold was a 170.

I’m building up a Dogma F and they would go well with my build.

I would greatly appreciate any info you could provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I spoke with SRM.. not THM. Like John said expect to wait. There are 2 of us that have them (atleast).. so whomever you spoke to @ THM is not in the know.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

johnrho

by johnrho

spdntrxi wrote:I spoke with SRM.. not THM. Like John said expect to wait. There are 2 of us that have them (atleast).. so whomever you spoke to @ THM is not in the know.
You need to message SRM and they’ll make the order to THM. They use the 170 moulds and essentially graft in the pedal axle holes to get the 165 length.

Also they are quite expensive and tbh I was disappointed in the fact they used a 170 mould given the cost.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ correct... it's hardly noticable visually.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

johnrho

by johnrho

spdntrxi wrote:^ correct... it's hardly noticable visually.
Hmm, maybe yours isn’t but mine was to the point I was going back and forth with SRM on the level of quality from both them and THM. You can’t see it from the outside but still…

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I gotta go look now... honestly never have.

UPDATE : Driveside is similar to yours(the rough looking one). NDS is much cleaner
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnrho

by johnrho

Lol sorry man.

Tbh tho, I haven’t had any issues..it’s just not what I expected from THM.