5 reasons not to buy RC902 shimano shoe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Can only really see two reasons not to buy them there.
If my feet are the same shape as the OPs.
The rest is par for the course for high end race shoes.

I'd not like to count up the number of expensive shoes i've destroyed in one innocuous off.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I love mine, but shall be buying the 46 Wide to replace my 46, since toe box could be a fraction wider.

White doesn't wear well and the sock part is grey not after a few thousand KM, but the new RC902 Track comes with a black sock, but not offered in wide (normal) fit.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasjas

by jasjas

ryanw wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 pm
I love mine, but shall be buying the 46 Wide to replace my 46, since toe box could be a fraction wider.

White doesn't wear well and the sock part is grey not after a few thousand KM, but the new RC902 Track comes with a black sock, but not offered in wide (normal) fit.
Hi if you don't mind me asking, whats your uk normal trainer/shoe size?

Maddie

by Maddie

Let's use this thread to see how people deal with the narrow toe section. I have 901 in 42 and they fit perfectly. The 902 in 42 (normal version) gets painful after a couple of hours.
After many hours in pouring rain, the shoes have now widened a little bit. Not much but it's definitely different now. But I'm still thinking about 42 in wide. Curious to read how others deal with it.
The shoes itself are fantastic. Power transfer and heel retention is the best I ever had.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

Point two and three not really valid as they are highly individual.
Eating trash'n riding fast

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

jasjas wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:17 am
ryanw wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi if you don't mind me asking, whats your uk normal trainer/shoe size?
I wear a UK11 in most shoes, Nike trainers.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

PeytonM

by PeytonM

I'm enjoying my 902's in size 44, coming from 900's in 44. I actually feel the toe box is taller (positive for me), and cut closer to my little toe (indifferent for me, I don't touch the end of the shoe with any of my toes).

johanalexander

by johanalexander

A bit off topic, but I also ride Shimano road shoes. Always have as they've worked well for me. The only thing that's been consistently wrong with them is the sizing. Always small. My first pair I had to go with 47 when I'm actually 45. Second pair, and all Shimano shoes since then 46. I know they should fit snug, but no chance in h*ll I would put on a pair of shoes where my toes have to be cramped in with an angle and hurting.
Eating trash'n riding fast

jasjas

by jasjas

ryanw wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am
I wear a UK11 in most shoes, Nike trainers.
Thanks for info.

ODC

by ODC

The only thing I don't buy this RC902 generation anymore is the shallower toe box.
I loved the RC901 in white but these new RC902 shoe gives me feet pain in my big toes. It's a pity they changed the fit.

ms6073

by ms6073

Taiyoto wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:27 am
damond wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 am
Those scratches have been cause by a crash, that's not from regular riding!
your right it was a stop and fall, but with another shoes same stop and fall and never happen this scratch.
When I first saw this thread, I was concerned because I revently got a set of the SH-RC-902's in white, but thought surely I had no reason to worry. But Sunday morning while the wife and I were stopped for a snack, I looked down and noticed my shoe had suffered a similar crack in the material as the OP's and despite the slight gouge on the side of the sole a few cm's ahead of the cracked area snd no, I have not had a crash/upset of any kind since I got the shoes last month. What I did notice is that while walking, the material on the sides of the shoe somewhat deform and expand with each step.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spud

by spud

^ you may not have crashed but you clearly got a significant abrasion on the side. Easy to forget that it happened because it wasn't a big event, I've got several pairs of mtb shoes that are absolutely annihilated at the outer front due to contact with rocks while riding but not crashing. In fairness however, it seems the material on your shoes might be a bit delicate.

ms6073

by ms6073

Yeah, while I typically try ot minimize having to release from the pedals while riding, I am thinking the scuff in the sole is from a dismount or dragging the shoe. As for the crack/gouge along the side, that is very disappointing as the Shimano shoes afford a wider range of cleat positioning than my Sidi Shot 2's, but the my Sidi's are definitely more bullet proof in this regard. As I mentioned earlier, there is definitely a bit of compression/decompression of the material in that area of the shoe when walking, so I imagine it has similar impact on the material during the push/pull actions of each pedal stroke.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spud wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:36 pm
^ you may not have crashed but you clearly got a significant abrasion on the side. Easy to forget that it happened because it wasn't a big event, I've got several pairs of mtb shoes that are absolutely annihilated at the outer front due to contact with rocks while riding but not crashing. In fairness however, it seems the material on your shoes might be a bit delicate.

Yeah you can seen that the front bumper is scratched up as well. Probably bumped up against a curb at some point. My shoes did not suffer any notable damage in that area until my crash, but they were also the only shoes to wear all the way through.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

I test some shoes, only the Shimano very dissappoint witht the surface, the Dkiller are more better for scratchs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com