Saddle and fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HenryH

by HenryH

Slightly off topic in terms of saddle, but I believe there is a bikefit video from Cam Nicholls on YouTube where they show how to build up a speedplay pedal (if I remember correctly) with shims to adjust for leg length difference. Might be worth having a look. They guy doing the bikefit is as far as I can tell brilliant. Learned a lot from him in general on how to fit yourself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I'm about your height with medium sitbones. Saddles on my bikes vary in width from 131 to 143 - there's no strict formula for sitbones to saddle width... Your issues sound more like fit than saddle issues, and I'd suggest getting a fitting before you start down the alternative saddle rabbit hole. No saddle is going to feel good if your fit is off and a fit can cost less than a premium saddle anyways.

milanv

by milanv

Yes, we can recommend you any, but we don't know anything about you, as I said before - riding style, problems. etc....

And I thing also, go to any shop/bike-fitter, they will help you better than we here.

My recommendation - saddle type - aggressive position rider = short nose saddle (Specialized Power/Powe Arc/Fizik Vento/Fizik Aliante...) / non-aggressive rider = standard saddle (Specialized Toupé/Fizik Antares...). But this is individual.

milanv

by milanv

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:09 pm
I'm about your height with medium sitbones. Saddles on my bikes vary in width from 131 to 143 - there's no strict formula for sitbones to saddle width...
This is not true, if you are not sitting on sit bones, it is hell for you... Any people are very, very sensitive, so they can not use narrower saddle than thay should, because of their wider sit bones and sensitivity. But I know people, which sit on any saddle and they have not any problem to ride on...

n1ey

by n1ey

milanv wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 am
Yes, we can recommend you any, but we don't know anything about you, as I said before - riding style, problems. etc....

And I thing also, go to any shop/bike-fitter, they will help you better than we here.

My recommendation - saddle type - aggressive position rider = short nose saddle (Specialized Power/Powe Arc/Fizik Vento/Fizik Aliante...) / non-aggressive rider = standard saddle (Specialized Toupé/Fizik Antares...). But this is individual.
I am having a laugh. I'm doubting that I will visit a fitter again. Virtually everyone in this area does not know how to shim or provide orthotics for the shoes. Some say that they do...they actually don't. Folks around here are charging $400 for a fitting that does not include any motion capture. I definitely have a lot of drop and I rotate forward. I mention this because I'm not seeing any results. I had a static fitting that did not change my saddle position last year.

I rather spend the money on a saddle. Is there a thought about which one is more suitable for different conditions? Such a why the Fizik Vento would be better than the Power Arc in a certain circumstance? I'm loath to try Specialized. The "best fitter" in the area sells Specalized, yet did not actually carry all of their saddles nor could do shimming.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Recommending saddles is risky! I have tried so many saddles and i have had years and years of trial and error.
To be honest, i can't possibly see how i could have come to a good fit without actually riding them.
I know it is expensive, i have to be honest again here and say, for the saddles, stems and handlebars cost i have gathered, i could probably have bought a new premium frameset.
I have never learned so much about my body as when it comes to cycling. Even how miniscule differences feels much more than when measured.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.