My Dura Ace pedals always break down in the same way...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Dura Ace 9000/9100 pedals.

Every set I have ever had fail on the left side (my main unclipping pedal I guess) and in the same way.

The cleat starts to float around laterally in the pedal body regardless of spring tension and this is soon followed by a loud cracking noise on most pedal strokes that i can make louder/quieter by twisting my foot in the pedal.

It's is a weird feeling can put new cleats on tighten up the spring tension to max and the right side will feel locked and the left will have way more float than it should and the foot can move all over the place. It is way more noticeable if I put yellows on, but blues still slide around even with the different pivot point.

Does anyone else have experience with this and is there much maintainance possible on the spring section of the pedal?

Never had the axle bearings even get close to not being silky smooth, it is always the spring area that goes to the dogs!! Quite annoying to keep having to replace otherwise perfect pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Youve probably worn the cleat retaining jaw, this is a design fault I think as these parts used to be replaceable in earlier iterations of da pedals. They wear as they are made from plastic.

I think it's caused by non symmetrical anatomy( one leg longer, differing pronation, or some such difference). Or non symmetrical pedalling. Maybe a competent fitter could diagnose the cause.

I think this becauSe I have also experienced what you have described and the only cure I've found is to replace the pedals.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This wear is inevitable on the clip out foot. To deal with this and cleat wear, once I leave my house I simply do not take my feet out of the pedals until the ride is over, or I stop for coffee, etc. A track stand is a handy thing and anybody can do it if they work at it a bit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:32 pm
This wear is inevitable on the clip out foot. To deal with this and cleat wear, once I leave my house I simply do not take my feet out of the pedals until the ride is over, or I stop for coffee, etc. A track stand is a handy thing and anybody can do it if they work at it a bit.
Chances of me ever doing a track stand. Ha, ha.

I am good all round athlete, but as a late comer to this sport, my bike handling skills are woeful with capital W.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

corky wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:13 pm
Youve probably worn the cleat retaining jaw, this is a design fault I think as these parts used to be replaceable in earlier iterations of da pedals. They wear as they are made from plastic.

I think it's caused by non symmetrical anatomy( one leg longer, differing pronation, or some such difference). Or non symmetrical pedalling. Maybe a competent fitter could diagnose the cause.

I think this becauSe I have also experienced what you have described and the only cure I've found is to replace the pedals.
Yeah, you are right.

Left heel wants to step out slightly during pedal stroke. I guess over time this breaks down the plastic parts.

Cracking sound it makes is unholy though!!

It's that more than the slip that makes me replace them.

stevej

by stevej

Yes. This happened to me on like 4 or 5 different sets. The pedals wouldn’t even last a year. Got shimano to warranty one of the sets for me. Finally gave up and switched to speedplay.

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Yeah I wear out pedals in the same way. It's just the wear over time of the carbon retention "jaw" on the foot you clip out more regularly. Slightly annoying but hardly a warranty job. I only use Dura ace pedals on my summer/dry weather bike, winter bike gets Ultegra. The extra road spray from winter roads causes more grit to get into the interface which accelerates wear.

corky

by corky

I really think that they should go back to making the jaw replaceable, it's a sin to can perfectly working pedals when it's just this worn part. The cleats are replaceable and so the other part of the interface should be too.....

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

corky wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:27 am
I really think that they should go back to making the jaw replaceable, it's a sin to can perfectly working pedals when it's just this worn part. The cleats are replaceable and so the other part of the interface should be too.....
I have to agree. So annoying to be chucking (expensive) pedals that still have so many parts in perfect working order because of this issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com