Fabric saddles: scoop flat vs line-s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

musiclover

by musiclover

Sorry guys, yet another saddle topic.

It seems that line-s is the new line (no pun intended) to keep up with the modern trends (stubby, relief channel).

The shape is quite a lot different. S-line is offerred in huge 155 mm width. I wonder why?

What to choose if you have not tried either of them?

Thanks!
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

ms6073

by ms6073

Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. I have riden on Fizik saddles since they came to market but decided to try the Fabric Ultimate and Scoop Flat a couple years ago, but was not oeverly impressed and now riding on Fizik Tundra M1 saddles on both my raod and gravel bikes.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musiclover

by musiclover

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:39 pm
Seems like an apples to oranges comparison.
Both saddles (flat and s-line) are for low aero position and high intensity efforts. Unlike shallow etc which are for the more upright.

Yoeki

by Yoeki

Any saddle advice is always so personal but heres my experience....

Ive used both and decided to stay with the scoop flat (142mm). I've been pretty happy with it from the start, it treats my sit bones really well but i found when I was in the drops I had perinium pressure that got uncomfortable. Manageable but uncomfortable. So i decided to try the line-s flat (142mm) thinking it would basically be the same but help relieve the perinium pressure. I just wasnted as all round comfortable on it though, I could of played with the exact saddle position a bit more but decided to go back to the scoop flat as I went on bikepacking trip and knew id be fine on it. I must say on this trip I did alot more climbing and noticed decidely more sit bone pain when climbing for longer than a 500 metres. I didnt really expect that. So im eyeing off something else now.

The shapes are differant. The line-s seems to be slightly more raised at the back and a little wider in the middle.

musiclover

by musiclover

Yoeki wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:59 pm
Any saddle advice is always so personal but heres my experience....

Ive used both and decided to stay with the scoop flat (142mm). I've been pretty happy with it from the start, it treats my sit bones really well but i found when I was in the drops I had perinium pressure that got uncomfortable. Manageable but uncomfortable. So i decided to try the line-s flat (142mm) thinking it would basically be the same but help relieve the perinium pressure. I just wasnted as all round comfortable on it though, I could of played with the exact saddle position a bit more but decided to go back to the scoop flat as I went on bikepacking trip and knew id be fine on it. I must say on this trip I did alot more climbing and noticed decidely more sit bone pain when climbing for longer than a 500 metres. I didnt really expect that. So im eyeing off something else now.

The shapes are differant. The line-s seems to be slightly more raised at the back and a little wider in the middle.
Thanks, that's helpful.
At the moment there are big issues with fabric saddles stock availability. They expect them to be resolved around October but it could be longer than that. Maybe, I will try Repente saddle instead.

Renne

by Renne

I once got to try out a Fabric Tri Flat Pro and absolutely loved it. Since then I haven't used another saddle, I even have one on my gravel bike.
However saddles are extremely personal, so if you can, try before you buy. Or buy the cheapest versions and try out different saddles.

musiclover

by musiclover

Renne wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm
I once got to try out a Fabric Tri Flat Pro and absolutely loved it. Since then I haven't used another saddle, I even have one on my gravel bike.
However saddles are extremely personal, so if you can, try before you buy. Or buy the cheapest versions and try out different saddles.
It is a very hard saddle is it? I wish I could try Fabric but many stores experience stock issues.

Renne

by Renne

musiclover wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:13 am
It is a very hard saddle is it? I wish I could try Fabric but many stores experience stock issues.
It doesn't have much in the way of padding but if the shape fits that doesn't really matter.
I don't even remember how I got to Fabric saddles but I really like their saddles.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I use fabric scoop shallow race on all my bikes. previously used the flat but was getting some skin irritation down there. The shallow has a touch more padding and is more comfortable. The Ti rails on the race version make the price right at around $100 USD. It's such a simple saddle that works.

anzi

by anzi

Scoop Flat was a bit too hard for me, Shallow feels just right. I have chromo, titanium and carbon rail versions. I can't really feel a difference in rail materials. So I recommend carbon rails for weight savings and chromo for saving money.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

I bought two lines s flats, one in 142mm, the other in 155mm, as I wasn't sure what size I should go for.

So far, the 142mm is feeling good in terms of width, but the padding is really quite soft. I've been on one ride only, quite an easy one really, but I find the combo of my chamois and the relatively soft padding of the saddle is too unstable.

Is there a similar saddle out there (flat and wide) that has minimal, or at least firm, padding?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com