Which earphones for road cycling?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

lukaszzsch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 am
Aftershokz aeropex
:up: :up:

So good that i also use them everywhere now.

HenryH

by HenryH

I wonder how many accidents are avoided due to a cyclist hearing something? My guess is that most serious accidents come as a complete surprise and would not have been avoided regardless. I wouldn't know though. Should probably be possible to find statistics for that. Are deaf people more likely to be involved in accidents?

I like wearing something just to keep the wind out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I used Jaybird X4 in ear wireless headphones for indoor trainer rides.

The audio was great and I could really pump up the volume without bothering anyone.

But my perspiration and ear sweat killed the X4's within weeks and the warranty replacement pair I got died within a few weeks as well..

The IPX7-rating for water resitance (30 minutes of submersion in 1 meter deep water) was clearly a lie..

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

AfterShokz Aeropex or Air, both are OK. I use these everywhere, but not the best choice for a smart trainer with a loud fan nearby.

hartmannce

by hartmannce

Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro. Used them for several solo rides on not-so-crowded roads - they have an ambient sound mode, which allows you to actually hear the surroundings while listening to music (tire road buzz sounds rather cool though).

sychen

by sychen

Lucendi wrote:I used Jaybird X4 in ear wireless headphones for indoor trainer rides.

The audio was great and I could really pump up the volume without bothering anyone.

But my perspiration and ear sweat killed the X4's within weeks and the warranty replacement pair I got died within a few weeks as well..

The IPX7-rating for water resitance (30 minutes of submersion in 1 meter deep water) was clearly a lie..
Have not had good experience with jaybird earphones...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:19 am
lukaszzsch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 am
Aftershokz aeropex
:up: :up:

So good that i also use them everywhere now.
I keep hearing great things about these.

I like my airs but I'm definitely going to check these out.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickf

by nickf

Ride4Life wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:44 am
Easy answer if you ask me:

https://us.aftershokz.com/

I got a pair of Airs.

What I like is that you still can hear things going on in your surroundings, yet at the same time your music is clear.
This 100%. Plugging up your ears riding on roads makes no sense to me. These let you hear everything happening around you.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

HenryH wrote:I wonder how many accidents are avoided due to a cyclist hearing something? My guess is that most serious accidents come as a complete surprise and would not have been avoided regardless. I wouldn't know though. Should probably be possible to find statistics for that. Are deaf people more likely to be involved in accidents?

I read a study that showed no correlation between the ability to hear on a bicycle and accidents. Deaf people ride bikes too. They don’t get hit/crash at a higher rate than those who can hear.

If leaving my ear bud at home prevented people from playing with their phone while driving I would do it. Road cycling is dangerous for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

HenryH wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:32 am
I wonder how many accidents are avoided due to a cyclist hearing something? My guess is that most serious accidents come as a complete surprise and would not have been avoided regardless. I wouldn't know though. Should probably be possible to find statistics for that. Are deaf people more likely to be involved in accidents?

Ill take any advantage I can get while out on the roads. While wearing nothing is the best bet, training while having some background music defiantly helps my motivation. With the aftershokz it's the best of both worlds.

illogict

by illogict

I use a Bluetooth speaker (Sony SRS-XB21) in the rear bottle cage. I like having situational awareness, plus using earphones is illegal here (France).
Moreover, my other ride is a cabriolet: I’m used to bothering bystanders with my tunes.

ms6073

by ms6073

mcfarton wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm
I read a study that showed no correlation between the ability to hear on a bicycle and accidents. Deaf people ride bikes too. They don’t get hit/crash at a higher rate than those who can hear.
What's the old adage - say it enough times and everyone will start to beleive it?

Whether or not one wears ear buds while riding is a personal choice. That said, when I am riding solo on my gravel bike, I will use earbugs but only while riding off the road or on the local trails - the music gets paused if I have to traverse one of the numerous busy road segments for more than a few seconds. We have a set of Bose SoundSport wired, Bose Sport wireless, and Plantronic BackBeat Fit wired earbuds which I prefer as the Bose SoundSport does not play as loud and I can never seem to get both of the Bose Sport wireless ear peices paired simulatensouly.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

Ride4Life wrote:Easy answer if you ask me:

https://us.aftershokz.com/

I got a pair of Airs.

What I like is that you still can hear things going on in your surroundings, yet at the same time your music is clear.

Do the aftershokz block the wind noise?

ianeire

by ianeire

Another vote for the Aftershokz aeropex. Love mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com